Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 29, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #48,991 of 75,355
This might sound kind of funny but I really do not like the cable on the me80. It's very resistent to tortion, which some people might like. I do not. I much prefer the braided cable on the rw9. It's very similar to the blue wire used for the old UE iems.

Let me AB the two for details on sound but at first listen, the rw9 are more impressive.

bold... me too.
The ME80 cable is beautiful, durable, but it's actually not elastic and flexible, it's curled up and bent.

Aug 29, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #48,992 of 75,355
Wow, my intro to buds is basically identical to yours. Since the lock down, I've been typically in my basement and with my iems I'm unable to hear any of my kids or wife tell me anything down the stairs. I still miss things when the music is louder but not like when I'm enjoying my er2xr's.

I think the only thing to impress is that the overall all sound profile is very different from iems. I think the variance is easily as distinctive as switching from headphones to iems, perhaps even more of a difference between iems and buds.

One result of this is my understanding and anticipation as to what looks promising by FR curve has been completely invalidated from my familiarity with iem curves.

The difference between thevHarman headphone target and iem target are fundamentally similar. If there were ever a harman earbud target, I am convinced it would look substantially different.
Ha, I am even in the basement too, and at home until at least January due to COVID. Honestly starting to go insane from lack of listening time. Hoping buds are the cure. I really don't care for any over the ear sets I own in comparison to even my cheaper IEMs.

It they aren't, hey, at least I only dropped about $130 total, cables and all. My speakers I bought were $300, hopefully I get use out of them at some point.

Aug 29, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #48,993 of 75,355
I'm kinda looking at the Smabat ST-10 (40 ohm because I only own portable gear these days, so not interested in difficult-to-drive stuff). LMAO...going from considering cheap <$20 buds to now looking at ~$100 sets, convincing myself that it's still cheap because "well, you know you'd spend 7x that on a pair of IEMs" as if that's some sort of justification, hahahaha. The only earbids I've ever tried are the old school Apple ones. This hobby man...

Aug 29, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #48,994 of 75,355
I'm kinda looking at the Smabat ST-10 (40 ohm because I only own portable gear these days, so not interested in difficult-to-drive stuff). LMAO...going from considering cheap <$20 buds to now looking at ~$100 sets, convincing myself that it's still cheap because "well, you know you'd spend 7x that on a pair of IEMs" as if that's some sort of justification, hahahaha. The only earbids I've ever tried are the old school Apple ones. This hobby man...
What kind of sound profile you looking for? What are some of your favorite iems?

Aug 29, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #48,995 of 75,355
My Fiio EM5 came in yesterday and I am very impressed wothought foams(of which they give you 3 types) it is neutral with deep precise bass.
definanetly competitive with my Ks Bell-ti and the VE Sun-copper
I haven’t had a chance to try foams yet but the fit is nice, not quite as comfy as the Bell-ti but very close. image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #48,996 of 75,355

SMABAT ST10 is a very good set, it is the priciest earbud I've bought so far, but I'm not sure if their successors the SMABAT ST10S black gold/silver are better, haven't heard them, so maybe you might wanna ask the rest if it is worth the slight extra outlay for these successors.

Prior to the ST10, I was playing at the $20 - 30ish region with earbuds such as BK2, HE150 Pro, FAAEAL Datura Pro and RY4S 300 ohm. As per diminishing returns in this hobby, the ST10 is not like 2 - 3 x better than the above $20 gear, but the ST10 is definitely in the midfi league in terms of better technicalities. What also sets it apart from most other earbuds is the excellent subbass extension and quantity, very rare in most earbuds. It can be worn cable down or cable up too. It scales better with amping too.

One thing I didn't like that much about the ST10 was its colder tonality and poorer timbre compared to some of the $20ish buds above.

Aug 29, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #48,997 of 75,355
One thing I didn't like that much about the ST10 was its colder tonality and poorer timbre compared to some of the $20ish buds above.
You may have already tried, but I've improved ST10's cold tonality and poorer timbre by using a cheap MMCX OFC cable under $10.
I feel this has improved the mids in particular.

Aug 29, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #48,998 of 75,355
May I know which version of the ST-10 that you're recommending for $80? I've heard so much about them but am still unmoved/uninspired to get one. Would you say they're better than the Rambo II?

Sorry, I forgot the reply.

First, I don't know about he Rambo II.

The ST-10 version I recommend for $80 is the first green version. This is because I want to use earbuds on smartphones, so I avoid high impedance ones.
I am satisfied with this ST-10 using an OFC cable of less than $10.

I wanted to show you a $80 ST-10 page in a banned store, but now it's gone up to $99.

Aug 29, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #48,999 of 75,355
For this reason, I sold all my Smabat's, I don't like the cold middle. If someone likes this sound, gold will be the best option, then green, and the last silver.

Aug 29, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #49,000 of 75,355
For this reason, I sold all my Smabat's, I don't like the cold middle. If someone likes this sound, gold will be the best option, then green, and the last silver.
Did you try recable?
I have the custom to try recable every MMCX earbuds, because I think that there is possibility that another cable may be more matched to the earbuds for me.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #49,001 of 75,355
Aug 29, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #49,002 of 75,355
bold... me too.
The ME80 cable is beautiful, durable, but it's actually not elastic and flexible, it's curled up and bent.

Mine straightened out after a few days. You can also try gently heating it with a hair dryer, which should do the trick.

Aug 29, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #49,003 of 75,355
What are you using as a source by the way. Synergy can affect PRaT noticeably. Also, I think the zen 2's are 300ohm? That will take some power to drive.

You might want to take a look at the 120 ohm monk lites. One of the best you can get and only $20.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Was busy with work and the kids.
Ya, was thinking of getting of E1DA 9039s or Fiio BTR5 to drive the Zen 2.
Thanks for the heads up on the 120 ohm Monk lites, will take a look.
Btw, have you ordered anything from Venture Electronics lately? How is their response ? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back