Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 10, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #48,676 of 75,288
1. re: setup for earbuds.
Still figuring things out. It gets really tricky because there are noticeable variations to the graph depending on how much pressure the bud is held against the mic/coupler. I try to hold them loosely because this approximates real life use case, no one constantly pushes their earbuds against their head.

2. last graph was with coupler, but my sound card wasn't calibrated. Not only do you need to ideally have a calibrated mic (ala imm-6) but sound cards require calibration as well.
I'm actually kind of disappointed that the coupler mic has no compensation info. I am considering cannabalizing it for the imm-6 since I have the compensation values for that mic.

Aug 10, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #48,677 of 75,288
1. re: setup for earbuds.
Still figuring things out. It gets really tricky because there are noticeable variations to the graph depending on how much pressure the bud is held against the mic/coupler. I try to hold them loosely because this approximates real life use case, no one constantly pushes their earbuds against their head.

2. last graph was with coupler, but my sound card wasn't calibrated. Not only do you need to ideally have a calibrated mic (ala imm-6) but sound cards require calibration as well.
The issue I've found is that there's no way to hold the buds loosely consistently, when I try that every measurement I take has variation in the bass, have you found a solution for that?

Aug 11, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #48,678 of 75,288
Aug 11, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #48,679 of 75,288
Hi, everybody.

I just posted my latest review, about ISN Rambo II.
I have to admit that I liked them very, very much.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-rambo-ii.24542/reviews#item-review-24104

ISN-Rambo-II-16_resize.jpg

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #48,680 of 75,288
Aug 11, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #48,681 of 75,288
Aug 11, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #48,682 of 75,288
wow, great review -- obvious you put a ton of work in it! Thank you for posting this. The Rambo II's are my favorite earbuds and they deserve more exposure.
Thank you. I actually work the same amount of time for all of them, only sometimes some work out better than others...

Aug 11, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #48,684 of 75,288
Aug 11, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #48,685 of 75,288
Got the Snow Lotus 1.0 today. I’m not really feeling it at all. Dark, muddy, veiled, mids and treble are really distant.

And yes, I’m feeding it loads of power (FiiO A5). Amplification is not the problem; the tuning is. Maybe I’m doing something wrong - do these usually require doughnuts? Or did I make and mistake and was supposed to get the Snow Lotus 2.0 instead?

I also got the RY4S Plus. Sounds way better than the Snow Lotus, especially balanced. Treble is a bit dry sounding, and upper mids can get a little shouts on some tracks. But other than that they’re not bad.

My bigger issue with them is that by the time I attach a mmcx cable, it’s about 2.5” long which is ridiculously unruly to wear. Now I know why @assassin10000 cuts down all of his DIY mmcx earbud shells. I’ll have to do the same thing to these, or else they won’t really be usable as is.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #48,686 of 75,288
Got the Snow Lotus 1.0 today. I’m not really feeling it at all. Dark, muddy, veiled, mids and treble are really distant.

And yes, I’m feeding it loads of power (FiiO A5). Amplification is not the problem; the tuning is. Maybe I’m doing something wrong - do these usually require doughnuts? Or did I make and mistake and was supposed to get the Snow Lotus 2.0 instead?

I also got the RY4S Plus. Sounds way better than the Snow Lotus, especially balanced. Treble is a bit dry sounding, and upper mids can get a little shouts on some tracks. But other than that they’re not bad.

My bigger issue with them is that by the time I attach a mmcx cable, it’s about 2.5” long which is ridiculously unruly to wear. Now I know why @assassin10000 cuts down all of his DIY mmcx earbud shells. I’ll have to do the same thing to these, or else they won’t really be usable as is.

If u like the RY4S plus, then consider getting the RY4S 300 ohm. Needs amping, but it is more balanced with better bass speed and quality (though RY4S plus has more bass quantity). RY4S 300 ohm has a slight upper mids boost, but not as harsh as the RY4S plus. The only thing holding the RY4S 300 ohm back from competing with some higher end stuff like the SMABATs is probably the mids lack a bit of detail and the subbass doesn't extend very deep, but I think it is still very good for $15 or so.

Aug 11, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #48,687 of 75,288
If u like the RY4S plus, then consider getting the RY4S 300 ohm. Needs amping, but it is more balanced with better bass speed and quality (though RY4S plus has more bass quantity). RY4S 300 ohm has a slight upper mids boost, but not as harsh as the RY4S plus. The only thing holding the RY4S 300 ohm back from competing with some higher end stuff like the SMABATs is probably the mids lack a bit of detail and the subbass doesn't extend very deep, but I think it is still very good for $15 or so.

Sure, I’ll consider it. Thanks for the tip!

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #48,689 of 75,288

I'm guessing you didn't get the 1+ commemorative edition? Totally different sound from the 1.0. The commemorative edition is waaaaay better, but it is still a warm sounding bud.

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #48,690 of 75,288
I'm guessing you didn't get the 1+ commemorative edition? Totally different sound from the 1.0. The commemorative edition is waaaaay better, but it is still a warm sounding bud.

No, I got the regular old 1.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back