Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 12, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #48,691 of 75,148
My bigger issue with them is that by the time I attach a mmcx cable, it’s about 2.5” long which is ridiculously unruly to wear. Now I know why @assassin10000 cuts down all of his DIY mmcx earbud shells. I’ll have to do the same thing to these, or else they won’t really be usable as is.

Yeah, partly the reason. Mostly for easy over ear use.

IMG_20200715_161730.jpg

Aug 12, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #48,692 of 75,148
Aug 12, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #48,693 of 75,148
I finally got my adapter (2.5mm to 4.4mm) so I can finally use my Snow lotus 2.5mm.

And I honestly see no reason to get this over the NiceHCK MX500. Sure the instrument separation and detail is a tiny bit better, but the bass is a bit looser and the cable...has tons of microphonics (without any music, just by touching the cable with your fingers you can hear it quite a lot...).

It costs more than double the price but it doesnt do anything better, they are side-grades. (they are both really good so dont get me wrong, I just wouldnt pay this much for a tiny side-grade (not much different).)

Grade: A+

Wont review it since it is so similar to the mx500, so just read my review on that one to get a picture on this one.

EDIT:
20200812_141815.jpg

20200812_141901.jpg

20200812_142024.jpg

20200812_142055.jpg

Forgot to mention but the cable is also very sticky, does not look or feel good at all (makes it feel very similar to the 0-10 usd KZ iem cables...)

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #48,696 of 75,148
I finally got my adapter (2.5mm to 4.4mm) so I can finally use my Snow lotus 2.5mm.

And I honestly see no reason to get this over the NiceHCK MX500. Sure the instrument separation and detail is a tiny bit better, but the bass is a bit looser and the cable...has tons of microphonics (without any music, just by touching the cable with your fingers you can hear it quite a lot...).

It costs more than double the price but it doesnt do anything better, they are side-grades. (they are both really good so dont get me wrong, I just wouldnt pay this much for a tiny side-grade (not much different).)

Wont review it since it is so similar to the mx500, so just read my review on that one to get a picture on this one.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention but the cable is also very sticky, does not look or feel good at all (makes it feel very similar to the 0-10 usd KZ iem cables...)

Ughh, I hate that type of cable. The KZ-ish ones. You're right, they have tons of microphonics and are sticky and quite stiff to boot. Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Snow Lotus 2.5mm.

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #48,697 of 75,148

EDIT:

Didn't hear the Snow lotus, but my Rosemary 2.5mm arrived a couple days ago and while I share the same thoughts about the cable, I'm positively surprised by the sound :)
faaeal.jpg
Comparing them with the ST-10S Gold they seem to have less sub bass and high sparkle, but more mid bass and mids themself, which makes the guitars sound fuller. Overal the response seems flatter than ST-10S, I'd even say it's HD650-like but I'd need to listen a bit more between the two. The soundstage feels a bit more narrow overall. I use them mainly for rock/metal music and they perform pretty good there :)

Yeah, about the cable. It looks nice but it's really stiff and doesn't like to be twisted. The microphonics are pretty bad too.

Overall the Rosemary seems nice, no idea if Faaeal changed anything aside from the cable in this model compared to the regular 3.5 version, but the listing on aliexpress was taken down after I bought this 1 pair, and my order was the only one looking at the archived listing in my order history.

Maybe it was a test run? Is there anyone else here with 2.5 TRRS Rosemary? :)

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #48,700 of 75,148
People say the Snow Lotus 1.0+ Commemorative Edition (blue shells) is where it's at.

I’ve read that as well. I hope the commemorative edition is more than just a different cable though, because I can change that myself. But I’ll give the CE a shot during the next Aliexpress sale.

Aug 13, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #48,701 of 75,148
Would love a comparison with the st10

Hi @cenizas, I did further A/B testing this week for the SMABAT M2 Pro vs the original SMABAT ST10.

This is using full foams with tuning module 0 (ie V shaped and bassier tuning module) on the SMABAT M2 Pro:
  • The ST10 has better bass extension and quantity even with the SMABAT M2 Pro on the most bassy config as above.
  • The ST10's note weight is slightly thinner with a slightly cooler tonality and less authentic timbre than the SMABAT M2 Pro. M2 Pro sounds more analoguish and nebulous.
  • SMABAT M2 Pro has slightly more recessed lower mids.
  • Technicalities wise, the ST10 is ahead, with better soundstage, better imaging, instrument separation, clarity and details on the ST10. In fact imaging and instrument separation are one step behind on the SMABAT M2 Pro compared to the ST10, especially when it comes to complex tracks.
  • Fit wise, the ST10 is larger and slightly less comfortable.
Since you own the Black Gold version, which is the supposed successor and upgrade over the original SMABAT ST10, and with the M2 Pro already losing to the ST10 in technicalities, I would suppose the M2 Pro would also be a downgrade for you in the area of technicalities. Never heard the Black Gold or Black Silver ST10S sets, so I'm not sure how their timbre is, but probably SMABAT ST10S Black Gold and Black Silver are still deserving of the flagship status even with the new kid on the block in the M2 Pro.

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #48,703 of 75,148
I’ve read that as well. I hope the commemorative edition is more than just a different cable though, because I can change that myself. But I’ll give the CE a shot during the next Aliexpress sale.

My Snow Lotus CE will arrive in a few days' time. If you want, I can give a short impression of it. However, I don't have a 'vanilla' Snow Lotus (1.0 nor 2.0) to compare it with. I do have an Iris 2.0, though.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #48,704 of 75,148
EMX500 Bro is a real killer among low-cost buds. It is not as dark as Vido, it is not as light as RY4S, it is not cloudy like Faaeal Iris 1.0.

The sound is soft and fun, it has energy and punch for heavy genres and articulation for calmer songs, with balanced highs and mids, there is also a pleasant and controlled increase of sub-bass. It is a bud that plays almost everything well, with great tonality, layers and separation.

The overall quality surpasses all the buttons mentioned, costing only one coffee depending on your location. When you finish reading this, you should order some units, considering the huge benefit in exchange for little money, it is impossible for you to fail with it.

Aug 13, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #48,705 of 75,148
EMX500 Bro is a real killer among low-cost buds. It is not as dark as Vido, it is not as light as RY4S, it is not cloudy like Faaeal Iris 1.0.

The sound is soft and fun, it has energy and punch for heavy genres and articulation for calmer songs, with balanced highs and mids, there is also a pleasant and controlled increase of sub-bass. It is a bud that plays almost everything well, with great tonality, layers and separation.

The overall quality surpasses all the buttons mentioned, costing only one coffee depending on your location. When you finish reading this, you should order some units, considering the huge benefit in exchange for little money, it is impossible for you to fail with it.

Sounds good! Any particular shell color sounds better than others?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back