Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 29, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #47,387 of 75,537
Do you also have a sound signature preference? Source may also matter (200-600 ohm buds are out there).

What kind of busy tracks? EDM, metal, symphony?

My go to recommendation typically is the original Smabat ST-10 as it does most things well. But I've not heard TOTL buds like Shozy, Simphonio dragon 2+/3, Rose Maria, etc.

And now Smabat has come out with 2 new versions...

Hi, thanks for your response.

My signature preference, and this sort of goes against the "technical" request, is that the treble is not peaky, and maybe even slightly rolled off. The thing is, I don't care about the quantity/quality of tone rather than just the earbud being able to perform. Indeed, IEMs would maybe be better, but I am in a situation where I always need to listen to my surroundings. So basically, no sound signature. Any highly technical earbud would be considered.

I have a E17K DAC/amp. Thanks for recommending ST-10, as I heard good things about it. However, worn over ear is a con for me :frowning2:.

I know I am asking a lot, but with a budget of ~$150, I hope there are options.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #47,388 of 75,537
Black gold is the limited edition ST-10s with high impedance drivers.

Also, ST-10s has not been official released yet. The planned release date is on April. This is a pre-sale.

Ordered a set of the Black/Gold Smabat ST-10s last night. :ksc75smile:

Mar 29, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #47,389 of 75,537
Thanks for recommending ST-10, as I heard good things about it. However, worn over ear is a con for me :frowning2:.

I wear my ST10 cable down with a cable that has no earhooks.

Mar 29, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #47,391 of 75,537
I can't stress how well the H180 performs. It outperforms, from a technical and soundstage standpoint, higher end earbuds like the Hifiboy dream. It has a dryer tone, and separation is great.

The only flaw is that there is a treble peak. I know most people don't like EQ, but if you EQ down the treble, it's a high proficient earbud.

Mar 29, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #47,392 of 75,537
Was thinking of getting the Turandot since its the 10th anniversary sale on AE. Is $200 actually a good price (3.5 with adaptor)? Or is it a "discount" where they raise the base msrp during this event and give a percentage off?

Mar 30, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #47,393 of 75,537
Was thinking of getting the Turandot since its the 10th anniversary sale on AE. Is $200 actually a good price (3.5 with adaptor)? Or is it a "discount" where they raise the base msrp during this event and give a percentage off?

Regular price before sales was around $229 for Turandot with adaptor, don't forget to make use of coupons to get extra discount.

Mar 30, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #47,395 of 75,537
You ordered it from which store?

Actually there are quite a few stores selling the black silver and black gold versions on Aliexpress.

Quite a few are selling the black gold ones at between $96 - $155. For the black silver ones, the price ranges from $84 - 99. With stacking coupons, the prices may be cheaper even. Big variance in pricing especially the black gold ones. Some sellers I spoke to even offered a 10% discount upfront to buy it now, but it only ships somewhere in april 2020.

Very tempting, I'm still thinking about it. Hahaha, self control!!!!

Mar 30, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #47,397 of 75,537
Hello everyone.
Is there someone that knows if there are some sort of adapters that can be mounted on classic earbuds that "transforms" them into an in ear?
I know it's a strange question, but there are lots of Earbud I'd like to try and I can't stand big earbuds (and small earbuds don't have bass nor sub-bass so I suffer when listening to dubstep tracks or similar bass heavy genres).

Mar 30, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #47,398 of 75,537
Mar 30, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #47,399 of 75,537
Sadly, the seller of the ANN 100 and Kube V2 on ebay told me my order is cancelled and that they cannot currently ship to the UK :frowning2:. Hopefully I can get my hands on those buds after this whole pandemic stuff. Kind of sucks though, hopefully the same doesn't happen to my ANN N200's.

Mar 30, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #47,400 of 75,537
Hello everyone.
Is there someone that knows if there are some sort of adapters that can be mounted on classic earbuds that "transforms" them into an in ear?
I know it's a strange question, but there are lots of Earbud I'd like to try and I can't stand big earbuds (and small earbuds don't have bass nor sub-bass so I suffer when listening to dubstep tracks or similar bass heavy genres).
I used to have these JBL sports earphones that were essentially earbuds with a whole rubber part to it that made it into an in-ear. Those rubber things didn't fit on any of my buds though as the drivers on the JBL earphones were a lot smaller than PK drivers :/. I am sure there's something out there that does the same but for a bigger driver but I am not sure if it's possible to buy them on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back