Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 28, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #47,372 of 75,220
Is there a earbud with the shape and ergonomics of the bk2 but with better sound?under 50€

Also, is this the sr2, people are talking about here? (2nd image)
#Aliexpress US $14.23 11%OFF | diy earphone pk1 pk2 SR2 16ohms/32ohms/150ohms TPE wire
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dVjQEMS
Yes, I personally got the white ones but any of the 16ohm listings should be the SR2.

Mar 28, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #47,373 of 75,220
This is my setup for the weekend. I agree with people saying RY4S mmcx plus its really good, specially for the price (US $7.19) + US $11.00 for the cable.

RY4S.jpg

Ibasso DX160 (4.4mm)
RY4S mmcx plus
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33038850404.html
NICEHCK MMCX/2Pin Connector 3.5/2.5/4.4mm Balanced 8-Core Copper Silver Mixed Cable
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32859444405.html

I hope everybody stay safe and well, cheers!

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #47,374 of 75,220
Well, I'm not a big fan of earbuds, the fit, the fiddling to get the sound right, just not my cup of tea. BUT, got a surprise from Wild Lee. Actually received some masks from him (he is offering free masks with every VE order), and he also included VE Sun Dice for me to check it out.

ve-sun-dice-10.jpg

Maybe I'm a noob when it comes to earbuds, only have Monk and Zen, but how is it possible for a pair of earbuds with a single DD to sound that good?!? Wide soundstage and a naturally balanced sound sig with a clarity, transparency, resolution, and layering I’m used to hearing from higher end IEMs; and with the right fit and selection of cover pads (using the sponge pad without a donut hole) the bass is there, a little north of neutral and quite articulate. I’m not a big fan of earbuds, but have to make an exception here. Btw, also got BIE mmcx, but didn't get to it yet. Still fascinated with Sun Dice. And apparently they also have Sun Copper version too?

ve-sun-dice-01.jpg ve-sun-dice-02.jpg
ve-sun-dice-08.jpg ve-sun-dice-09.jpg

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #47,375 of 75,220
Well, I'm not a big fan of earbuds, the fit, the fiddling to get the sound right, just not my cup of tea. BUT, got a surprise from Wild Lee. Actually received some masks from him (he is offering free masks with every VE order), and he also included VE Sun Dice for me to check it out.

Maybe I'm a noob when it comes to earbuds, only have Monk and Zen, but how is it possible for a pair of earbuds with a single DD to sound that good?!? Wide soundstage and a naturally balanced sound sig with a clarity, transparency, resolution, and layering I’m used to hearing from higher end IEMs; and with the right fit and selection of cover pads (using the sponge pad without a donut hole) the bass is there, a little north of neutral and quite articulate. I’m not a big fan of earbuds, but have to make an exception here. Btw, also got BIE mmcx, but didn't get to it yet. Still fascinated with Sun Dice. And apparently they also have Sun Copper version too?

Welcome to the darkside lol.

If I don't need isolation I much prefer earbuds to IEM's. They sound more natural to me and soundstage is 9 times out of 10 better.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #47,377 of 75,220
Hello,

Can someone please recommend me an earbud based ONLY on technicalities? This means not congested during busy tracks, and imaging is good. Budget is $200, but it would be very nice to find something below $100. For example, I heard that ZEN performs well technically, but it's also a bit "old" in terms of the earbud game. Therefore, I am looking for something new and technically proficient.

Thanks.

Mar 29, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #47,378 of 75,220
Hello,

Can someone please recommend me an earbud based ONLY on technicalities? This means not congested during busy tracks, and imaging is good. Budget is $200, but it would be very nice to find something below $100. For example, I heard that ZEN performs well technically, but it's also a bit "old" in terms of the earbud game. Therefore, I am looking for something new and technically proficient.

Thanks.

Do you also have a sound signature preference? Source may also matter (200-600 ohm buds are out there).

What kind of busy tracks? EDM, metal, symphony?

My go to recommendation typically is the original Smabat ST-10 as it does most things well. But I've not heard TOTL buds like Shozy, Simphonio dragon 2+/3, Rose Maria, etc.

And now Smabat has come out with 2 new versions...

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #47,379 of 75,220
Does anyone in this thread have a pair of the Shozy XB, and if so, what do they sound like? I haven't been able to find much about it but I have a feeling that they will sound a bit similar to my SR2 (which recently died due to the positive cable deciding to break at the solder point). Any info would be much appreciated.

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #47,380 of 75,220
Does anyone in this thread have a pair of the Shozy XB, and if so, what do they sound like? I haven't been able to find much about it but I have a feeling that they will sound a bit similar to my SR2 (which recently died due to the positive cable deciding to break at the solder point). Any info would be much appreciated.

What do the SR2 sound like? I have an XB :)

Mar 29, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #47,381 of 75,220
What do the SR2 sound like? I have an XB :)
I found the SR2 to be a warm earbud that's really good for vocals and things like the Persona 5 OST (which I listened to exclusively with the SR2). They had some nice bass too, but I think my unit may have been a bit meh compared to others on here due to it's highs feeling a bit veiled even after the burn-in and constant use. I feel like they could've benefited from a silver-plated cable but I am not sure if that would've done much.

Mar 29, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #47,382 of 75,220
I found the SR2 to be a warm earbud that's really good for vocals and things like the Persona 5 OST (which I listened to exclusively with the SR2). They had some nice bass too, but I think my unit may have been a bit meh compared to others on here due to it's highs feeling a bit veiled even after the burn-in and constant use. I feel like they could've benefited from a silver-plated cable but I am not sure if that would've done much.

Perhaps similar but not the same. XB is very good. Think they have a balanced general tuning. They do only ship with one pair of donuts on them which is the only issue I have with them. Think the should be used with donuts myself. Take them off and they will be not neutral but not very warm. Put on full foams and I'm sure they will be nice and warm and the treble would be quite polite bordering on muted too much for my taste. Though I do only have more denser foam on hand so that factors in there. Sounds like the XB would have more bass focus and treble than your SR2.

Of course your source choice makes a difference. More neutral clarity based player then foams may be just the trick. It may depend but think they are a good balance with what you get out of the box and can go either way. So, not gonna lean towards a certain preference which is nice.

I actually would have like the shells to be switched funny enough. just the top plastoc part not the face nor the reliefs...
1585493618360.png

I would like that more curved and cut out seen on the top of the L bud to be facing front and not back. Just in my case but the fit even better that way. Still they are a good fitting earbud. But we still want a bit more if possible and I noticed the better fit trying them out reversed and over ear while putting them through their paces.

The sound, with the stock donuts, is warmer in the bass and the opening in the foams leaves the treble to be a nice balance and have the right amounts of both. So, while I am on board with the choice some spares would have been nice. Nice case and very good buds so at $49 I won't cry but would have been nice for some extra pairs. Sound, with the donuts, is a slight L shape curve with a bit more focus and bass amount that slightly slopes to near even amounts of midrange and treble. Stage is slightly above average but not really large. A 3 or 4 rows back kind of thing. The separation is also not accentuated which helps the warmth but not gonna be lauded for airy and open spacing. Rides the line not be congested but not being spaced out. Bass has good reach and good texture and enough speed even through the foams. A bit analogue and smooth but good detail and texture shows through. Seems to have layered out well enough and your bass range is distinct enough, not smeared, with discernible note in sub, low, and mid bass regions.

On to the mids, they are sweet, warm, and have enough clarity and detail. Won't rival well above the bracket $100 models but again a good balance and of course really clean and clear mids would not work with the donuts and give cohesion issues making the bass be too thick and ruin the bass to mid/vocal transition. Still good vocals for both male and female. Should be happy with them out of most devices. Room to clean up with a big clarity boost w/o going sibilant. More general goodness. Riding the line to please most with the ability and amount of warmth and clarity.

For the treble we don't have the mount or reach that the bass does. I think just right with the donuts. Not lacking in amount but not the focus. Bass is the slight focus but treble hangs right there with the mids. More treble than my Aurvana air with full foams which rolls off and is a bit safer. Still the XB are safe to crank up even unamped. They can take a bit of added brightness and seem free of any troublesome peaks. Brighter source could go to full foams to keep the bass warmth or they can get very balanced and lose the L sig.

I have been very happy with them. Warm enough good low reach. Some feel to the bass. Enough detail and clarity but stays thick enough and are good for outdoors against some noise. Cable is both handsome and well behaved and the little rubber Y is small and light and not bothersome. No slider but doesn't really need it. Could have come with a clip though. With no clip and no spare donuts, accessories are the one area that gets a low grade from me but everything else is very good.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #47,383 of 75,220
Perhaps similar but not the same. XB is very good. Think they have a balanced general tuning. They do only ship with one pair of donuts on them which is the only issue I have with them. Think the should be used with donuts myself. Take them off and they will be not neutral but not very warm. Put on full foams and I'm sure they will be nice and warm and the treble would be quite polite bordering on muted too much for my taste. Though I do only have more denser foam on hand so that factors in there. Sounds like the XB would have more bass focus and treble than your SR2.

Of course your source choice makes a difference. More neutral clarity based player then foams may be just the trick. It may depend but think they are a good balance with what you get out of the box and can go either way. So, not gonna lean towards a certain preference which is nice.

I actually would have like the shells to be switched funny enough. just the top plastoc part not the face nor the reliefs...

I would like that more curved and cut out seen on the top of the L bud to be facing front and not back. Just in my case but the fit even better that way. Still they are a good fitting earbud. But we still want a bit more if possible and I noticed the better fit trying them out reversed and over ear while putting them through their paces.

The sound, with the stock donuts, is warmer in the bass and the opening in the foams leaves the treble to be a nice balance and have the right amounts of both. So, while I am on board with the choice some spares would have been nice. Nice case and very good buds so at $49 I won't cry but would have been nice for some extra pairs. Sound, with the donuts, is a slight L shape curve with a bit more focus and bass amount that slightly slopes to near even amounts of midrange and treble. Stage is slightly above average but not really large. A 3 or 4 rows back kind of thing. The separation is also not accentuated which helps the warmth but not gonna be lauded for airy and open spacing. Rides the line not be congested but not being spaced out. Bass has good reach and good texture and enough speed even through the foams. A bit analogue and smooth but good detail and texture shows through. Seems to have layered out well enough and your bass range is distinct enough, not smeared, with discernible note in sub, low, and mid bass regions.

On to the mids, they are sweet, warm, and have enough clarity and detail. Won't rival well above the bracket $100 models but again a good balance and of course really clean and clear mids would not work with the donuts and give cohesion issues making the bass be too thick and ruin the bass to mid/vocal transition. Still good vocals for both male and female. Should be happy with them out of most devices. Room to clean up with a big clarity boost w/o going sibilant. More general goodness. Riding the line to please most with the ability and amount of warmth and clarity.

For the treble we don't have the mount or reach that the bass does. I think just right with the donuts. Not lacking in amount but not the focus. Bass is the slight focus but treble hangs right there with the mids. More treble than my Aurvana air with full foams which rolls off and is a bit safer. Still the XB are safe to crank up even unamped. They can take a bit of added brightness and seem free of any troublesome peaks. Brighter source could go to full foams to keep the bass warmth or they can get very balanced and lose the L sig.

I have been very happy with them. Warm enough good low reach. Some feel to the bass. Enough detail and clarity but stays thick enough and are good for outdoors against some noise. Cable is both handsome and well behaved and the little rubber Y is small and light and not bothersome. No slider but doesn't really need it. Could have come with a clip though. With no clip and no spare donuts, accessories are the one area that gets a low grade from me but everything else is very good.
Wow, thank you for the in-depth look into the XB. I have actually been using the SR2's with donut foams as well so I can get some more of the highs. I feel like the XB may be something I'd really, really enjoy. I do have a lot of the accessories that you say are missing so I wouldn't really mind that at all. Definitely at the top of my considerations for earbuds.

Mar 29, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #47,384 of 75,220
Wow, thank you for the in-depth look into the XB. I have actually been using the SR2's with donut foams as well so I can get some more of the highs. I feel like the XB may be something I'd really, really enjoy. I do have a lot of the accessories that you say are missing so I wouldn't really mind that at all. Definitely at the top of my considerations for earbuds.

You'll like them no doubt. An easy recommendation. I just want to find some gold color donuts that match nice with the cable. :)

Mar 29, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #47,385 of 75,220
You'll like them no doubt. An easy recommendation. I just want to find some gold color donuts that match nice with the cable. :)
I mean, you can always just buy yellow Trig Rain foams and then cut a hole roughly the same size as the other hole. But that can look pretty janky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back