Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 6, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #47,191 of 75,175
Neat. MB Quart now does an earbud. I first knew them from car audio (tho I know they started as headphones).

How do they sound?

Not too bad for the USD$58 asking price. My suspicious is that this is coming from MB Quart's Chinese sub-company rather than from MB Quart HQ, as you don't see any mentioning if you go to MB Quart homepage. Beyerdynamic did the same with their China only DP100. It could very well just a model released by OEM under some kind of partnership with minimum involvement from the actual brand.

That's nice to hear. My BK that got replaced by Shozy doesn't sound quite as good (smooth) as the one that got sent back.

Can I also confirm with you that the length of the BK from earbud to Y-Split is shorter than that of the Cygnus? I find my BK's wires really short... Quite a bit shorter than the Cygnus which is at 1.2m. I'm not sure why...

Shozy earbuds are mostly hand-built, so it won't be exactly the same length from one to another. Early BK uses a fairly rare OCC cable that Shozy was able to source on limited quantity, which subsequently ran out. Later BK uses a slightly different OCC that was indeed being said to be lesser sounding than the original BK.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #47,192 of 75,175
Shozy earbuds are mostly hand-built, so it won't be exactly the same length from one to another. Early BK uses a fairly rare OCC cable that Shozy was able to source on limited quantity, which subsequently ran out. Later BK uses a slightly different OCC that was indeed being said to be lesser sounding than the original BK.

I guess that is quite unfortunate for my case, but it can't be helped.

Now that I finally own a balanced DAC/Amp, I wish I had gone with the 2.5mm option to experience the benefits you've mentioned earlier.

Mar 6, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #47,193 of 75,175
I'd be happy to jump to a wired set if it's a good pair. I could always recable them if it's a set I'm happy with. Is the HE150 Pro better than the regular one? I thought I read the HE 150 was bassier. I should also note that on my RY4S Plus, it's pretty much skirting what I'd consider to be comfortable levels of treble so anything I'm looking for would not be any brighter than those. From looking around on here I've read suggestions of the HE 150, SR2 16ohms TPE Red, NICEHCK B40 and potentially these 15.4mm Titanium 64ohm drivers? for budget bass ones. I'm wondering how they compare with the RY4S Plus MMCX in terms of bass/subbass and brightness.

Also does anyone know if the RY4S Plus MMCXs have different tuning depending on colour? I asked the seller but he just read and didn't give a reply. I might pick up another set just because of how cheap they are anyway on top of trying something else.
I have RY4S Plus MMCX (silver) and I don't think that has a different tuning from other colors. I use TRN balanced cable and I prefer this over HE150Pro. Also, U have a choice to use cooper cable if you want more bass and less treble.
HE150Pro is not bassier but has better sub-bass then RY4S+, mid-bass is more pronounced with RY4S+, mids are similar and HE150Pro have rolled-off treble. For me, HE150 (MX500) produces better soundstage and detail than HE150Pro and RY4S+.
Titanium 64ohm loses in terms of clarity of sound over the previously mentioned models. Bass is boomier and bleeds over mid-tones.

Mar 6, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #47,194 of 75,175
I have RY4S Plus MMCX (silver) and I don't think that has a different tuning from other colors. I use TRN balanced cable and I prefer this over HE150Pro. Also, U have a choice to use cooper cable if you want more bass and less treble.
HE150Pro is not bassier but has better sub-bass then RY4S+, mid-bass is more pronounced with RY4S+, mids are similar and HE150Pro have rolled-off treble. For me, HE150 (MX500) produces better soundstage and detail than HE150Pro and RY4S+.
Titanium 64ohm loses in terms of clarity of sound over the previously mentioned models. Bass is boomier and bleeds over mid-tones.

I'm not sure I understand the correlation between silver plated and regular copper affecting how bassy or trebelled a sound would be. Is there a science to this?

Mar 7, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #47,195 of 75,175
I'm not sure I understand the correlation between silver plated and regular copper affecting how bassy or trebelled a sound would be. Is there a science to this?
Something about electrons naturally repelling each other, so they tend to travel along the outer edge of a conduit/cable.
Silver is more conductive than copper, so the electrons receive less resistance when travelling along the silver plating, making them happier and brighter and I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Mar 7, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #47,196 of 75,175
Something about electrons naturally repelling each other, so they tend to travel along the outer edge of a conduit/cable.
Silver is more conductive than copper, so the electrons receive less resistance when travelling along the silver plating, making them happier and brighter and I have no idea what I'm talking about.

If this was a discord, I would give you appropriate reactions.

Mar 7, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #47,197 of 75,175
Also, made a unique video about EROS and Earbuds?!

On a more serious note, there's a company called EROS Audio from Thailand, and they make Earbuds. They are not very pricey, about 50 USD a pair, and I made a video review about them. Be careful, I am a bit brutal on them, because to be honest I did not get good comfort, and well... I tried my best being honest...

Mar 7, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #47,199 of 75,175
Been out of the hobby for a while, what's the TOTL earbud scene looking like these a days?
Maria?
IMG_tigr_20200307_103106~2.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #47,201 of 75,175
Rose earbuds are always a bit finicky to get a great fit for me and until someone can definitively prove to me that their product can last more than a year, I'm not particularly interested. Would probably prefer going for ZoomFreds or something
No one can prove that anything can last for a certain timeframe because everyone uses items differently, your post doesn't even make sense.

Mar 7, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #47,202 of 75,175
No one can prove that anything can last for a certain timeframe because everyone uses items differently, your post doesn't even make sense.

Yeah, probably came on a little strong there and full disclosure my last pair of Rose earbuds were late 2018 but I've had 5 pairs of their earbuds and they've all failed within the year for some reason or another. I'm willing to take responsibility for some of the wood Masya I used as daily drivers but I'm a pretty careful guy, and the Mojito (which I babied and only used with my home set up) just up and decided to un-glue itself (same thing happened to another pair of the Masya Pros). Zero CS.

Mar 7, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #47,203 of 75,175
Yeah, probably came on a little strong there and full disclosure my last pair of Rose earbuds were late 2018 but I've had 5 pairs of their earbuds and they've all failed within the year for some reason or another. I'm willing to take responsibility for some of the wood Masya I used as daily drivers but I'm a pretty careful guy, and the Mojito (which I babied and only used with my home set up) just up and decided to un-glue itself (same thing happened to another pair of the Masya Pros). Zero CS.
Well see there, that's a post with some content. I agree that there is some underlying issue if you had 5 pairs fail in a year, that is ridiculous assuming you're not yanking them, wadding them up, knotting them (you said you are careful with them so I doubt this). Sounds like legit crap.

Mar 7, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #47,204 of 75,175
Well see there, that's a post with some content. I agree that there is some underlying issue if you had 5 pairs fail in a year, that is ridiculous assuming you're not yanking them, wadding them up, knotting them (you said you are careful with them so I doubt this). Sounds like legit crap.

Yeah, always used the travel pouch/boxes. And they do sound really amazing, but I'm not really into their stuff anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back