Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 5, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #47,176 of 75,162
Just to make sure I'm reading this right, are you saying that the MS16 sounds bad due to its shell design?
MS16 has chip driver and I didn't expect to sound good. I bought it to use this shell with other DIY drivers. DIY 400ohm graphene-coated driver is a very good sounding driver but in MS16 shell sounds congested.

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #47,177 of 75,162
Hi Guys. I'm a long time lurker, but it's very hard to keep up coming in here every few months to read a few pages so I've decided to register and just ask about things and hope someone can help me. I'm a basshead (the sort that would have SPL setups in cars sort of basshead) and can only assume that I'm not going to get earphone rattling deep sub bass, but I'm curious to hear what is out there. For the record I listen to R&B, Hip Hop, New Jack Swing, DNB, Dubstep (older stuff not the Skrillex kind), Garage, Chillout, Dark Ambient and also kpop/jpop. I can't enjoy any of it without having a decent bass response as to me without it, it drains all of the character out of what I'm listening to, so I really like to look for stuff that has good bass, and would love to find something that has good sub bass that doesn't get drowned out by mids the second you turn it up slightly, or in the case with a couple of my headphones so far... start to rattle.

So far I've got a couple of VE Monks that I picked up a few years ago when I discovered that there were some companies out there making earbuds (I cannot stand IEMs, and don't like cans either) and thought they were great but lacked bottom end. I bought a couple of pairs of Vidos, one blue and one red. The blue one is disappointing, and the red one is better and probably the best super budget earbuds I've heard so far, but still don't think much of the bass. Since then I've got myself some RY4S Plus 32Ohm MMCX versions (blue ones, no idea what the colours signify on the RY4S Plus but would love to know) that I couple with either a 4 core silver cable or my KZ APTX HD bluetooth cable (the only way I've found so far to get earbuds in wireless form, I'd love to know if there are other options). These are the best I've had so far for bass, and sound nicer than the Vidos, but I still wonder if I can do better. Also if I'm at my computer I power my headphones off a Scarlet Solo, otherwise it's out of my Pocophone F1. I know nothing about portable amping options or if I want to dive into that.

I'm wondering what else is out there, preferable in MMCX form already as I can use it with my existing cables. If there is a good pair that I could buy and attempt to recable them though I could be down with that if it's a fantastic pair of headphones, but it's not totally ideal. Maybe there's a full DIY option? I think I remember reading about a 15.4mm Titanium 64ohm driver from NSC Audio Store on Aliexpress. How would that compare to an RY4S and what would I have to build those into? Maybe buying a Fengru DIY and swapping the drivers out? I'm cool with doing something DIY if it gets me what I want. I don't really want to spend more than $20 max on a pair because I'm quite particular with what I like but can't put that into words or frequencies that I want as I don't understand how to quantify what I'm hearing above like 100hz (so reading frequency graphs goes over my head for the most part), so don't want to risk dropping money on something that I ultimately won't enjoy. I've done that too many times with headphones at this point so I'm just embracing this fun budget option

Thanks!
@Lex11180 just buy Smabat ST-10 mmcx
IMG_20200305_150556~2.jpg
@Lex11180 I have the Svara-L, which I enjoy a lot with artists like Carpenter Brut, Gesaffelstein, Perturbator, Danger etc. I've read somewhere in this topic that the Smabat is an improved Svara L with the same FR but better technicalities. So the Smabat gets my vote too

Agreed, although its much higher than your budget I'd go for the Smabat ST-10. Good mids/highs and great bass.

Here's a couple I saw FS on the forum too. Dunno if they're still available, they don't come up FS that often.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smabat-st-10.924607/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smabat-st-10-like-new.924307/

There may be a willsound bud that would work too, but I've never heard them. You'd have to contact them on FB. About $35-45ish iirc.

Anyways, probably not going to find a bud with great bass in the $20 and below range. Definitely not with MMCX connectors.

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #47,178 of 75,162
I think right now I'm just not wanting to take a risk on something that expensive if I don't like it. Is there at least anything on the budget sub $20 end that's considered bassier and better than an RY4S Plus MMCX? As that's my reference point currently.

Mar 5, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #47,179 of 75,162
I think right now I'm just not wanting to take a risk on something that expensive if I don't like it. Is there at least anything on the budget sub $20 end that's considered bassier and better than an RY4S Plus MMCX? As that's my reference point currently.

Gonna be tough to find something sub $20 with detachable cables. U can consider the HE 150 Pro, its cables are not detachable though. HE 150 Pro is kinda V shaped with good midbass thump, definitely one of the bassier buds I've used. It actually sounds to me like an IEM rather than a conventional bud due to the tuning and bass.

Mar 5, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #47,180 of 75,162
Gonna be tough to find something sub $20 with detachable cables. U can consider the HE 150 Pro, its cables are not detachable though. HE 150 Pro is kinda V shaped with good midbass thump, definitely one of the bassier buds I've used. It actually sounds to me like an IEM rather than a conventional bud due to the tuning and bass.

I'd be happy to jump to a wired set if it's a good pair. I could always recable them if it's a set I'm happy with. Is the HE150 Pro better than the regular one? I thought I read the HE 150 was bassier. I should also note that on my RY4S Plus, it's pretty much skirting what I'd consider to be comfortable levels of treble so anything I'm looking for would not be any brighter than those. From looking around on here I've read suggestions of the HE 150, SR2 16ohms TPE Red, NICEHCK B40 and potentially these 15.4mm Titanium 64ohm drivers? for budget bass ones. I'm wondering how they compare with the RY4S Plus MMCX in terms of bass/subbass and brightness.

Also does anyone know if the RY4S Plus MMCXs have different tuning depending on colour? I asked the seller but he just read and didn't give a reply. I might pick up another set just because of how cheap they are anyway on top of trying something else.

Mar 5, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #47,181 of 75,162
EB69.jpg

Edifier LolliPod
MB Quart MB100
Shozy SG (小金)

Mar 5, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #47,183 of 75,162
@ClieOS

I just received a Simphonio Dragon 2 plus but it was 3.5mm ended.

This seems to be a hidden refresh of Dragon 2. It has much more midbass and mids for other genres.

Not the airy treble reference transparent devices that is the 2.5 balanced model.

which one sound sig do you prefer, swd2+ bal or se?... never listened to any simphonio buds myself, coz my ordered dragon 3 still on the way..

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #47,187 of 75,162
which one sound sig do you prefer, swd2+ bal or se?... never listened to any simphonio buds myself, coz my ordered dragon 3 still on the way..

The Simphonio Dragon 2 plus balanced version is a transparent critical listening style earbuds.

If your idea is you want your earbud to be your hifi solution, then the balanced version.

But I use my earbuds not for critical listening; for casual on the go use. So the bassier tones in the Single-ended version is more suited for rock music is better. It still has treble highs, but they are smoother and more forgiving, but they also don't give that unique extremely airy hd800 outdoor speaker-like soundstage.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #47,188 of 75,162
How is sg

Overall, good. I'll describe it having a sound signature between Cygnus and BK - smoother and more laid back than Cygnus, but not as sweet as BK. It is more of an enduring sound rather than an impressive sound on first listening. I got it with a big discount for about the same price as Cygnus, which I think it is pretty good. For full price, I think it is a bit on the expensive side. The cable looks very good though, almost like the one on Cygnus Limit Edition, which is pure silver.

Do you think the cables on the SG will oxidise quickly like the Cygnus?

This particular cable look almost like the pure silver cable used on Cygnus Limited Edition (normal Cygnus uses silver plated OFC, IIRC) and that cable never turns green. Of course it is merely by the look as Shozy didn't mention what materiel on this cable, so only time will tell whether it will turn green or not.

Mar 6, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #47,190 of 75,162
Overall, good. I'll describe it having a sound signature between Cygnus and BK - smoother and more laid back than Cygnus, but not as sweet as BK. It is more of an enduring sound rather than an impressive sound on first listening. I got it with a big discount for about the same price as Cygnus, which I think it is pretty good. For full price, I think it is a bit on the expensive side. The cable looks very good though, almost like the one on Cygnus Limit Edition, which is pure silver.

That's nice to hear. My BK that got replaced by Shozy doesn't sound quite as good (smooth) as the one that got sent back.

Can I also confirm with you that the length of the BK from earbud to Y-Split is shorter than that of the Cygnus? I find my BK's wires really short... Quite a bit shorter than the Cygnus which is at 1.2m. I'm not sure why...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back