Earbuds Round-Up
May 30, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #42,331 of 75,269
For me : BOE>rm303>em3s>rm305=Sur
IMG_20190530_130802.jpg IMG_20190530_130927.jpg
Also BOE better than TP16+Monk's

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #42,332 of 75,269
There is never change in sound from the 1st version (multiple vent) to the current 2nd version (one large vent). I asked and they replied that they didn't change the sound. I still end up buying both versions over time and they sound identical.

Thanks for the clarification. I was only able to go off prior posts. Updated my prior post.

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #42,333 of 75,269
Just reminiscing here about a poster called Akash who used to constantly ask questions like "Is it good, smooth, detailed with warm and good deep bass?", "Is it better than Monk+?", "Does it have mic?" They were given lots of recommendations but never actually bought anything, just asked the same sort of questions over and over again for months. I wonder what happened to him/her? I hope they don't come back using a different name. That would put me in a bad mood whatever melody I was listening to. :wink:

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #42,334 of 75,269
The M4 x 0.5 tap, to use on the metal shells for the lower profile MMCX jacks, has arrived - and both shells have now been tapped.
Before I installed the jacks in the shells, I soldered some short wires to them.
After screwing the jacks into the shells, and tightening the nuts on the inside - I used some Loctite Ultra Gel Control Super Glue on the jacks & nuts.
Once the glue dries thoroughly, I'll solder on, and install the 600Ω drivers.

Initial impressions of the assembled earbuds (Donut foam over Full foam), connected to my iBasso PB2 Amp (Sparkos SS3602 op-amps) - the 600Ω Beryllium drivers have great clarity & detail in the Treble; and the Bass is "fast" (detailed), and goes really low. I haven't listened to them long enough (with vocals) to say whether the Midrange is "Balanced", or ever so slightly recessed.

May 30, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #42,336 of 75,269
Anyone have a BlackBud from Bisoy Siosan? Looks really good! I wanted to get one but he's got a lot of orders so I gotta wait
hey bro, i already stop the production of blackbuds as i have been busy these days. will get back to into making buds maybe soon thank you

May 30, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #42,338 of 75,269
Hello guys,

In love "again" with my 1st gen NiceHCK DIY Graphene and Yincrow X6. Became curious about all the modding posts here so finally decided to disassemble my earbuds. Found the foams (circled in red in the photo below)in both earbuds covering the vents behind the shell. I was like "What!?" and decided to take them out. The ones in DIY Graphene can be put back if you don't like the new sound signature as it is one whole piece but it is different story for X6 as the foams are stuck to the shell so you have to destroy it to remove it unless you have really delicate hands (no guarantee though because I completely destroyed the foam). Anyway, they are of exactly the same size so maybe you can disassemble a DIY Graphene and put the foam back to the X6 .

Anyway, the sound after this little mod becomes better in my own opinion as the bass becomes more solid and the soundstage really opens up.

However, the sound leaks more now both in and out but who uses earbuds for isolation anyway? In addition, it is considered as an advantage because now I can hold my earbuds and listen from the back of them and the sound is exactly the same!

This post is about my little discovery and I am not encouraging anyone to do this mod. So, any damage to your earbud(s) is not my responsibility.

Thanks for reading.

vVJgj.th.jpg

gRY3VCX8fpcHfxjE8

May 30, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #42,340 of 75,269
Hey earbud fanboys!

Since I have pretty much settled with my desk and portable gear... wanted to know if there is any new "budget king earbud" like ZSN Pro (low budget) and Kanas Pro (low-mid tier) for example in IEM territory?
I currently Have Monk+ and Asura 2.0 - am I good with these or is there something new "must have" that competes within these 2 range?
I really love natural mids of Asura 2.0 but I need to get very good fit with them to enjoy them in contrary to Monk+ that I just throw in ear and they work (V-shaped signature though).
I know it is harder to measure earbuds accurately but something with similar signature (FR graph) as Moondrop Kanas Pro would be nice to have in earbud world too!

Any help or guidewords would be helpful! Thanks in advance! :wink:

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #42,341 of 75,269
Hey earbud fanboys!

Since I have pretty much settled with my desk and portable gear... wanted to know if there is any new "budget king earbud" like ZSN Pro (low budget) and Kanas Pro (low-mid tier) for example in IEM territory?
I currently Have Monk+ and Asura 2.0 - am I good with these or is there something new "must have" that competes within these 2 range?
I really love natural mids of Asura 2.0 but I need to get very good fit with them to enjoy them in contrary to Monk+ that I just throw in ear and they work (V-shaped signature though).
I know it is harder to measure earbuds accurately but something with similar signature (FR graph) as Moondrop Kanas Pro would be nice to have in earbud world too!

Any help or guidewords would be helpful! Thanks in advance! :wink:
Hi CoiL, I remember you from my old days on the KZ forum. Welcome to the earbud world!

I'll start things off with a couple of recommendations.

For super-budget, these:
Fengru Silver
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Brand-Go-pro-Accessories-Projector-Monopod-Croons-Tingo-Tg-38s-Earbud-Earphones-Pk-Mx985-A8/32687542028.html

Don't laugh. They have a big, spacious sound with solid bass and sparkly highs, and still enough in the mids to provide balance. To me they are like the KSC75 but with more details. Fantastic value and in my top three.

Slightly more, but still budget, these:
SR2 16ohm
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/diy-earphone-pk1-pk2-SR2-16ohms-32ohms-150ohms-TPE-wire/32801646835.html

Lovely balanced sound, great 3D soundstage with exceptional imaging and layering. Some have compared them to buds costing hundreds of $$. Also, they have a slightly smaller shell which some prefer. Go for the 16ohm ones. Another of my top three.

Anyway, that's my advice - great sound covering most bases for less than $20 in total.

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #42,342 of 75,269
I’m looking for earbuds pretty much exactly like the apple earbuds that won't break as much. Needs the microphone/volume control/play&pause controls. Also don't really like when the headphone jack connector is bent or at a 90 degree angle. Any recommendations? Thanks for any help!

May 30, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #42,343 of 75,269
I’m looking for earbuds pretty much exactly like the apple earbuds that won't break as much. Needs the microphone/volume control/play&pause controls. Also don't really like when the headphone jack connector is bent or at a 90 degree angle. Any recommendations? Thanks for any help!
You will be able to select and purchase apple earbuds cheaply at the flea market below.
https://www.mercari.com/search/?brandIds=319&facets=2&itemStatuses=1&keyword=apple earbuds&length=30&shippingPayerIds=2&sortBy=3

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #42,344 of 75,269

well i found 3 models but can't quite satisfy all your needs.

1. MEMT T5 (L-shaped connector, single button controller)
2. **** PT25 (no mic but comes with mmcx connector so you can change the cable that fits your need)
3. Audio Technica ATH-C200iS (L-shaped connector, single button controller)

May 30, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #42,345 of 75,269
Any comparison between Remax RM-303 Vs FiiO EM3S? Especially how they stand against TP16 or Monk+?

I got the RM-303s recently. Meh, good for the price but nothing special. The volume also seems low (I prefer to listen at lower volumes with no DAC or pre-amp I should add). The fit isn't as good for some reason despite the diameter being small. They're for sure better than FiiO EM3s though which I had a while back and those buds just eventually gave out (not gave out as in one side not working but giving out as in sounding like they're dead and lost their oomph which hasn't happened with any other buds). EM3s always sounded a bit tinny and with a small soundstage from what I remember. The shapes are similar but the sound is better on the RM-303s. I'd say the Monk+, Qian39, Edifier H180s, and those cheap blue Vidos are all better then the RM-303.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back