Earbuds Round-Up
May 15, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #42,064 of 75,377
The cable on my old PureSounds PS100-600S 600Ω is dying... thinking on either re-cabling or simply replacing them with a pair of PureSounds PS-100 500Ω or K's K600/K500 as I desire the same ear-friendly sound signature.

Any/all advice welcome.

if you or someone can recable it without messing with the original tuning, then recable it would be better. K's and Puresound have a different tuning, usually K's have really warm midbass while puresound is more neutral

May 15, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #42,065 of 75,377
Just received today my Smabat ST-10 replacement pair, everything is now OK, the MMCX connectors has really been fixed from stock cable side (much sturdy and need force for the safety click.
Also, it don't rotate easily like before, it needs much force to rotate them from stock cable.
As always, Great and quick service from Jim (NiceHCK), appreciated.

I just gave a quick listen before return to work, and it sounds the exact same as my first batch (which is nice). Great manufacturing constancy from Smabat.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #42,066 of 75,377
The real downside, as far as I can tell, is that you actually believe you probably have to spend $100 to get a cable that is worthwhile. If I have $100 in my budget, it will go straight to a new earbuds (or two, or three... you get the idea) instead of new cable, as I am more of a 'practical user' when it comes to cable - meaning I only buy cable I deem practical in use, not based on how euphonic it might / could be. Why? because almost all cable sellers are selling their cable on the cable's imaginary euphonic value rather than its practical value, and interpreting how euphonic a cable sounds has less consensus than people believing in whether earth is rounded or flatted, so to speak.

Anyway, don't really have any magical sound cable I can recommend you - but if I were to get a cable myself, I'll probably try the new FiiO pure silver cable that should be just a little over $100. As it is from FiiO, so we can at least be sure it should actually be pure silver, and you don't really get price that cheap from any other 'fancy' cable maker.

I said 100$, as example) I actually, do not want to spend on cable more than 30-40$ for all and done. I auditioned few upgrade cables for such price and really like the result - brought enough satisfaction for me. (also had few mmcx cable for 100$, but sold them years ago,so can't test...) So,I'm just looking for good sounding cheap cable. The best I have tried so far is upgrade cable for ti7 on penon (unfortunately sold it+ it was not balanced). With such I would be more than happy))

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #42,067 of 75,377
BK2...I don't like Compared in the same time with EB2, Monk+ and TO65 on Radsone ES100 and Smsl M2.
BK2 was shouty and unpleasent. For me one of the most overpriced earbuds. Build quality is good but sound is bad for me. For 20$ that i payed is acceptable but for 75$ totally insane IMO

Wait, just saw this - are we talking about **** BK2 here? I remember when I got mine (when first launch) it was about $43 (around RMB300) on the official Taobao store and now it actually goes down slightly to about US$39 (RMB270), not to mention it was much cheaper on some Ali. store I think any Ali seller that listed it over $40 or so are probably just looking to rip people off. Also, my BK2 definitely doesn't sound shouty or unpleasent - it is warm and smooth overall, and very easy going sound signature that is not too bad even for the $40 price tag, even if it is not a particular giant killer at that price point. For the $26 or so price tag right now at Ali, I'll say it is actually quite a good choice for anyone who are looking for a relaxing sound.. Make me wonder if we are even talking about the same earbud here.

I have another earbud with that exact same outer shell - it doesn't have an official English name but a direct translated Chinese name of 'Abbot'. This is not a common shell and I only know one earbud (the Abbot) that used it until I saw this. I wonder if they are the same earbud or perhaps PaiAudio somehow was able to source the same shell for their own driver. Just a note that the Abbot has a V-shaped sound with good end-to-end reach and soundstage, but can sound slightly aggressive at time.

May 15, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #42,068 of 75,377
So I got the TY Hi-Z HP150S after reading some good things about them. While sounding extremely detailed, the highs can sometimes be harsh/unpleasant within a specific range/volume, forcing me to turn it down -- it's like a drone. Anybody else notice this, or is my set busted? Feel like it kind of ruins them, unfortunately.

May 15, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #42,069 of 75,377
So I got the TY Hi-Z HP150S after reading some good things about them. While sounding extremely detailed, the highs can sometimes be harsh/unpleasant within a specific range/volume, forcing me to turn it down -- it's like a drone. Anybody else notice this, or is my set busted? Feel like it kind of ruins them, unfortunately.

Mine is the TY Hi-Z AWK-F150TS (the red/blue) one. I am not sure what the difference might be but I don't have that problem. Are you using foams? Have you burned them in at all?

May 15, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #42,070 of 75,377
Just received today my Smabat ST-10 replacement pair, everything is now OK, the MMCX connectors has really been fixed from stock cable side (much sturdy and need force for the safety click.
Also, it don't rotate easily like before, it needs much force to rotate them from stock cable.
As always, Great and quick service from Jim (NiceHCK), appreciated.

I just gave a quick listen before return to work, and it sounds the exact same as my first batch (which is nice). Great manufacturing constancy from Smabat.

Cool. Glad it worked out. The connectors are kind of loose and easy to snap in/out. I can see how this would cause issue's with play to the side spreading and eventually damaging the center pin.

I've got a replacement set on the way as well. As my left side started having problems. (Thanks to Smabat & VS audio store)

May 15, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #42,071 of 75,377
Mine is the TY Hi-Z AWK-F150TS (the red/blue) one. I am not sure what the difference might be but I don't have that problem. Are you using foams? Have you burned them in at all?
I tried using the thick foams from the VE ex pack but still persists. Burned in for a few hours at most. Did you notice a difference after burn-in?

May 15, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #42,072 of 75,377
This information is new to me. I have one and like it a lot. Maybe a faultly unit?

May 15, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #42,073 of 75,377
I tried using the thick foams from the VE ex pack but still persists. Burned in for a few hours at most. Did you notice a difference after burn-in?

One of the downsides of these open earbuds is that their sound can vary a lot from one person to the next simply due to the shape of your ears. If your ears don't angle them at just the right angle towards your canals then they can sound quite bad at times.

However, I also had these earbuds basically when they first came out and I too found them to be way too bright. It was actually funny coz when I posted on facebook that I didn't like the sound the guy behind the company basically said people who don't like the sound have broken ears :-D. The only thing I found that greatly helped the sound was to open them up and remove the standard tuning foam on the inside of the housing...and then I cut one of my Hiegi donut foams in half (along the seam) and placed that on the inside of the housing. That really tamed the highs and added some down low presence from what I remember. If you search for my username in this thread then you'll see my posts and pics of the mod.

May 15, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #42,074 of 75,377
Wait, just saw this - are we talking about **** BK2 here? I remember when I got mine (when first launch) it was about $43 (around RMB300) on the official Taobao store and now it actually goes down slightly to about US$39 (RMB270), not to mention it was much cheaper on some Ali. store I think any Ali seller that listed it over $40 or so are probably just looking to rip people off. Also, my BK2 definitely doesn't sound shouty or unpleasent - it is warm and smooth overall, and very easy going sound signature that is not too bad even for the $40 price tag, even if it is not a particular giant killer at that price point. For the $26 or so price tag right now at Ali, I'll say it is actually quite a good choice for anyone who are looking for a relaxing sound.. Make me wonder if we are even talking about the same earbud here.

I have another earbud with that exact same outer shell - it doesn't have an official English name but a direct translated Chinese name of 'Abbot'. This is not a common shell and I only know one earbud (the Abbot) that used it until I saw this. I wonder if they are the same earbud or perhaps PaiAudio somehow was able to source the same shell for their own driver. Just a note that the Abbot has a V-shaped sound with good end-to-end reach and soundstage, but can sound slightly aggressive at time.

How is the fit with your Abbot.
Screenshot_20190515-222553__01.jpg

May 15, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #42,075 of 75,377
We also have the red and blue(my wife does) when we first got it, I felt it was a bit sharp, we let it burn in for about 4-5 days (non stop on medium volume) after that they smoothed out quite a bit, they are fairly bright but not like they were in the beginning.

They instructions in the box say 150 hours of burn in recommended
Some don't believe in burn in, but it made a fairly big difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back