Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 3, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #40,502 of 75,470
The issue is less the driver and more the shell.

That makes sense, because the White Ling is the same shell, and has aggressive vocals that only bother me when I play them too loud on tracks with certain vocals. The only reason I play them a little too loud is to get more bass. If the Black Ling have more bass than those, I'll probably be really happy with them.

Mar 3, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #40,503 of 75,470
That makes sense, because the White Ling is the same shell, and has aggressive vocals that only bother me when I play them too loud on tracks with certain vocals. The only reason I play them a little too loud is to get more bass. If the Black Ling have more bass than those, I'll probably be really happy with them.
Well from other accounts it does have more bass.

Also, if you're not a bit perfect purist, a simple targetted EQ at that peak would remove all harsness. So there's that.

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #40,505 of 75,470
Well from other accounts it does have more bass.

Also, if you're not a bit perfect purist, a simple targetted EQ at that peak would remove all harsness. So there's that.

I used MSEB and lowered the vocal forwardness setting. Worked perfectly on the White Ling, I was just hoping to not use that on the Black.

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #40,506 of 75,470
A5950D22-AC3F-43C4-93D5-8040954D2C90.jpeg Received Athena from QLabs. They are comfy and the vents are color coded for easy distinguishing between right and left.

Sound wise, I am not sure they are for me. They are fairly bassy for this type of shell, and the highs are sparkly, but are a bit too bright, especially with pop. These buds are detailed, but sound a bit unnatural to me.

In fairness, recommended burn in time is a week. Also, I’ve been listening to a lot of vinyl lately, so my brain is expecting a warm, mid-centric sound.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #40,507 of 75,470

I ordered an orange Kube1 to replace the one that was lost by the Royal Mail over a month ago plus another orange for my husband. He already has a blue one and I have a purple one. I also ordered a white one for a possible recable... with something that looks really cool (don't have it yet).

Mar 3, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #40,508 of 75,470
Received Athena from QLabs. They are comfy and the vents are color coded for easy distinguishing between right and left.

Sound wise, I am not sure they are for me. They are fairly bassy for this type of shell, and the highs are sparkly, but are a bit too bright, especially with pop. These buds are detailed, but sound a bit unnatural to me.

In fairness, recommended burn in time is a week. Also, I’ve been listening to a lot of vinyl lately, so my brain is expecting a warm, mid-centric sound.

I've been eyeing this one for a while. I'd be interested in what you think after a little burn in.

Mar 3, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #40,511 of 75,470
I've been eyeing this one for a while. I'd be interested in what you think after a little burn in.
To be honest, I am terrible about burn in. I never do it, and haven't made up my mind as to whether or not it makes a difference (other than brain burn in). I do think it is worth trying these with the KANN, as it is a lot darker than the Hiby - may be a better match. Will let you know. :ksc75smile:

Also got Willsound MK3 VJC in the same package so want to try them next.

Mar 3, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #40,512 of 75,470
The new (and still unreleased?) Astrotec Lyra Nature warms up the signature a bit, ditches the useless airplane adapter, and has removable cables. Cool beans!

Grumble grumble. Why did I read it. I need to start saving.....again.

Mar 4, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #40,513 of 75,470
To be honest, I am terrible about burn in. I never do it, and haven't made up my mind as to whether or not it makes a difference (other than brain burn in). I do think it is worth trying these with the KANN, as it is a lot darker than the Hiby - may be a better match. Will let you know. :ksc75smile:

Also got Willsound MK3 VJC in the same package so want to try them next.

Yeah, I kind of gave up burning in and just listen to them. Enjoy the Mk3 - love the VJC cable. I have that on my Mk2 and the Crow Raven

Mar 4, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #40,515 of 75,470
Anyone got any answer from Lee (VEclan) recently ?
I'm waiting since more than a month an answer from him but nothing.. I tried to message him twice between weeks but still nothing. I'm getting worried, maybe he is dead?

He posted on his FB group a few hours ago so I am pretty sure he is alive:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back