Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 24, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #38,461 of 75,323
Not sure if we need to keep asking (as I'm sure you will write impressions in due time) but what are your initial impressions on the K's LBB and Moondrop VX C/J?

LBB is just a great earbuds - it has the warmness that K is known for, but at the same time fairly well balanced. It was said to be an evolution from Poseidon and I do agree on that statement - besides the fact that it is not as grand sounding as Poseidon, I actually do prefer LBB overall. Given the price/performance ratio, I think there is no reason to miss this one.

VXC is said to be tuned similarly to the old VX (which most of you probably never heard of) - it is actually not entirely true as VXC is definitely a lot better sounding. The old VX is very warm and kinda slow, an decent sounding earbud overall but nothing particularly great to speak of. VXC kind of have a warmish sound as well but sounded much more dynamic and lively. However, it is still quire different a tuning from the previous model VXP (which is very neutral and detailed). Overall, VXC is still a good earbud but I won't say it is an improvement over VXP but more of the change of sound signature. I often recommend to people the VXP is good for instruments and classical music, where VXC is probably more for mainstream music. VXJ on the other hand is more or less a warmer version of VXC. It is only available from a single MoonDrop authorized dealer on Taobao as kinda a special edition but I don't think you will need VXJ when there is VXC around.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #38,464 of 75,323
Dec 26, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #38,465 of 75,323
Hello everyone and Merry (belated) Christmas! Been awhile since I've last commented on this thread. My never ending pursuit for higher end audio pushed me towards IEMs, but I still listen to my Diomnes Lvl2 periodically after all this time.

I always found their greatest weakness was their stiff cable (+ oxidation), so I decided to splurge on a recable! Many thanks to Triton Audio for the recabling! The new cable is the Effect Audio Eros II - pure copper and silver hybrid. I saw these used for $180 ($100 off), so I went for it since it was only $30 more than a new Ares II. This ended up being a bigger upgrade then I planned lol.

91A62B2C-3EFE-4906-B6FD-C9FCA82659B4.jpeg 847F4C36-9121-4AC9-8B6D-4E852CA03B78.jpeg F4464818-676B-4CB4-9DC5-76D720AC41C7.jpeg 2A5DB255-1FDB-46D1-80E5-A799F5D91A6A.jpeg

Sound Impressions: HUGE improvement over the ENTIRE spectrum. Most noticeable being that vocals have more presence. No more veil, but it came with a small sacrifice to its deep soundstage. It's less forgiving and more reference sounding as a result, but I find the upgrade in resolution worth it. Eros has more mid-bass hump than I was expecting, so drums are now fuller and sound more dynamic. Treble is effortlessly detailed and smooth. Really happy with this upgrade overall.

Not to forget to mention, the cable is really flexible now!

Dec 26, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #38,466 of 75,323
Hello everyone and Merry (belated) Christmas! Been awhile since I've last commented on this thread. My never ending pursuit for higher end audio pushed me towards IEMs, but I still listen to my Diomnes Lvl2 periodically after all this time.

I always found their greatest weakness was their stiff cable (+ oxidation), so I decided to splurge on a recable! Many thanks to Triton Audio for the recabling! The new cable is the Effect Audio Eros II - pure copper and silver hybrid. I saw these used for $180 ($100 off), so I went for it since it was only $30 more than a new Ares II. This ended up being a bigger upgrade then I planned lol.

Sound Impressions: HUGE improvement over the ENTIRE spectrum. Most noticeable being that vocals have more presence. No more veil, but it came with a small sacrifice to its deep soundstage. It's less forgiving and more reference sounding as a result, but I find the upgrade in resolution worth it. Eros has more mid-bass hump than I was expecting, so drums are now fuller and sound more dynamic. Treble is effortlessly detailed and smooth. Really happy with this upgrade overall.

Not to forget to mention, the cable is really flexible now!
Triton Audio @alpha421 always with great work, higly recommended.

Dec 27, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #38,469 of 75,323
Tesla LCP driver in a earbud :astonished:
What kind of matieral is LCP?

I'm excited to hear about earbuds with more premium drivers. I can hear a difference between Black Ling driver with it's stronger magnets than your average earbud driver. Better transients, sounds quick and well controlled. I thought it was just my perception of the frequency response at first, but honestly it's extremely detailed and quick even compared to my Rose Mojito without being exaggerated in treble to give the illusion of extra detail.

So I'd love to hear alternative drivers to generic plastic and standard magnet. Wanna hear some biocelluose and beryllium drivers in earbuds :)

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #38,470 of 75,323
What kind of matieral is LCP?

I'm excited to hear about earbuds with more premium drivers. I can hear a difference between Black Ling driver with it's stronger magnets than your average earbud driver. Better transients, sounds quick and well controlled.

So I'd love to hear alternative drivers to generic plastic and standard magnet. Wanna hear some biocelluose and beryllium drivers in earbuds :)

Same here. I wonder how these differ from their recent Kanas IEM that uses a DLC driver. Wonder why they went a different route with the earbuds.

Dec 27, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #38,472 of 75,323
Same here. I wonder how these differ from their recent Kanas IEM that uses a DLC driver. Wonder why they went a different route with the earbuds.
I think the natural course now is to improve the development with better matieral and acoustics of the shell. Now that the earbud market is slowly becoming more relevant again.

If you think of it logically there's huge benefits to experimenting with premium matierial if the market can support it with sales. As earbud drivers so small compared to headphones that the amount of these luxury matierial will be considerably less. Yet the retail price difference is not a huge gap (considering that high end IEM and headphones are roughly in the same ball park price wise).

Going forward i hope to see companies list detailed specs of the driver matierial, magnet strenght, driver size etc. I see ks and moondrop list specs sometimes but its not detailed enough. At this end of the market consumers should know exactly what they are getting with their purchase.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #38,474 of 75,323
...meanwhile I am listening to my new buds... hot off the soldering iron... the HungryPanda DIY PK1 150 ohm. Sounds great!

10217545.jpg

Did he use some of the original Red 150Ω PK drivers, that are available from a couple of AliExpress vendors?

Dec 27, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #38,475 of 75,323
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back