Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 1, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #38,071 of 75,451
Here is the result of my new DIY stuffs for the past few days :

My EMX500 DIY v2.0 :
(4 core silver plated cable / using my old EMX500S shells with the little holes on bass port)

EMX500_DIY_v2.0.jpg

My EMX500 DIY v3.0 (my favorite yet) :
(8 core mixed silver & copper plated cable / EMX500 standard shells without holes on bass port)

EMX500_DIY_v3.0.jpg
This is my best details retrieval earbuds ever heard till date in term of sounding. Even my YIN and EBX are far away. I'm just amazed of what I've done :)

And my Blox YIN as a bonus picture.. :wink:

Blox_YIN.jpg

Dec 1, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #38,072 of 75,451
Toneking TP16, Ty HI-Z, Toneking TP16 and the diy SR2 16 ohm that jogawag mentioned are all pretty V shaped earbuds that do not cost much

Dec 1, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #38,073 of 75,451
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll take a look at them... Monk's shell is not the greatest for me, maybe that's because Monk doesn't sound good for me.

I've done a quick google search for Faaeal Datura X and I've found this review https://audiobudget.com/product/FAAEAL/Datura-X where their mids are "agressive" instead of recessed as I like, bass seems great with avarage highs, but everything has his/her own ears.
Datura X is one of my favorites and is not aggressive in the mids. It is well balanced all around with good energy still.
You can listen to Pop vocals or Rock and it satisfies. Also keeps it’s quality at low volumes and you don’t have to shove them in your ears for them to sound good. This one should be in everyone’s staple of buds.

Dec 1, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #38,075 of 75,451
My EMX500 DIY v3.0 (my favorite yet) :
(8 core mixed silver & copper plated cable / EMX500 standard shells without holes on bass port)

This is my best details retrieval earbuds ever heard till date in term of sounding. Even my YIN and EBX are far away. I'm just amazed of what I've done :)

For some reason I keep hearing Billy Idols White Wedding while looking at this. :)
Very Sexy!

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #38,077 of 75,451
Toneking TP16, Ty HI-Z, Toneking TP16 and the diy SR2 16 ohm that jogawag mentioned are all pretty V shaped earbuds that do not cost much
3 of those are mx500 unfortunately for him.

For me the sr2 is not a true V shape, the mids can be made to sound slightly recessed and the highs pronounced. But the bass doesn't hit deep like other earbuds I'd consider V shape so it's more a ~ shape to my ears.
Anyone knows which emx500s is the best?
My theory is they are all the same driver with slight tuning variantions in the shell and cable.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #38,078 of 75,451
Thanks again, unfortunately as seanc6441 said mx500 shells are not made for my ears.

Datura X is one of my favorites and is not aggressive in the mids. It is well balanced all around with good energy still.
You can listen to Pop vocals or Rock and it satisfies. Also keeps it’s quality at low volumes and you don’t have to shove them in your ears for them to sound good. This one should be in everyone’s staple of buds.
Thanks, as they are quite cheap, I think I'll purchase one pair.

My advice would be to await the release of the new budget model from K's which will probably be sub $50 and in their bell type housing. If it follows the tuning of the more fun tuned K's models it will be somewhat V shaped, with great bass presence and clear upper vocals and smooth but present treble.
This new K's seems quite interesting, is there any scheduled date for it? And I could spend 100$ if the earbuds deserve it and the improvement over my current earbuds justifies its cost.

I forgot to say that altough I listed pop music from time to time (mostly from the 80s and the 90s), 90% of my listening is uplifting trance and similar electronic styles (from hardcore to dance, but not house), no rock, acoustic, nor classical.

Dec 2, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #38,079 of 75,451
Thanks again, unfortunately as seanc6441 said mx500 shells are not made for my ears.

Thanks, as they are quite cheap, I think I'll purchase one pair.

This new K's seems quite interesting, is there any scheduled date for it? And I could spend 100$ if the earbuds deserve it and the improvement over my current earbuds justifies its cost.

I forgot to say that altough I listed pop music from time to time (mostly from the 80s and the 90s), 90% of my listening is uplifting trance and similar electronic styles (from hardcore to dance, but not house), no rock, acoustic, nor classical.

If you can pay 60$ on V Shaped sig's earbuds with a small shell, I recommend moondrop vx pro.
This sounds naturally stretched bass and beautiful treble.

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #38,081 of 75,451
1)
Hi,

I've been out of earbud world for a while and I keep using my Tomahawks (which I prefer to the Yun Pk3, Edifier H180, Edifier H185 and original VE Monk that I also have)... I see there are lots of new options since then, but could you please help me telling me what are the best options right now if I'm looking for a V shaped earbud (I like deep impactful bass but with nice and cristal clear highs, similar to my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro)?

My ears are on the smaller side, I don't know if anything bigger than my Tomahawks would fit...

try TY HI-Z AWK-F150TS. The best v-shaped earbuds I have ever heard. Truly miraculous sound with donuts. Huge soundstage, hard-hitting and impactful bass, crystal clear vocals, neutral sounding (not warm, not cold), but colouring sound a little bit whats perfectly works with over-all sound-signature. The cable is long and soft - one of the best to the day I have ever seen, especially for such cheap price...

Somehow, I see them on sale here, on headfi.Cannot recommend it more. I'm not the fan of V-shaped signature, so I sold it few months ago, though with serious regrets. New owner is very and very happy with it.

2) Guys! Any description or opinion on Linsoul BLD 150ohm ? How does it sound? what earbuds sounds similar to it? Does anybody know the price during the sale on ali?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lin...arphone-4-4mm-2-5mm-Balanced/32869327378.html

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #38,082 of 75,451

Users who are viewing this thread

Back