Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 5, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #36,181 of 75,209
Herry actually recommends using them without foam ( I agree that they dont really need foams to bring out the bass ) but I still put the stock foams on it to keep them clean basically lol.

Yeah they seem indeed to be regular full foams, but they resemble VE foams quality wise

He told me the same when we met in Tokyo in July. I brought my pair of CampFred 1 and he asked what foams I was using. I replied that I use thin VE foams. He said that he tunes the Cypherus earbuds to be used without foams. I used thin foams at first with ZoomFred but then switched to rubber rings with fins from the VE EX pack (but with the fins cut off). That's when the ZF really found their perfect sound. I do think that other Cypherus earbuds work well with foams, but mainly thin VE type foams because of the already good bass.

Oct 5, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #36,183 of 75,209
He told me the same when we met in Tokyo in July. I brought my pair of CampFred 1 and he asked what foams I was using. I replied that I use thin VE foams. He said that he tunes the Cypherus earbuds to be used without foams. I used thin foams at first with ZoomFred but then switched to rubber rings with fins from the VE EX pack (but with the fins cut off). That's when the ZF really found their perfect sound. I do think that other Cypherus earbuds work well with foams, but mainly thin VE type foams because of the already good bass.
I think as long as the mid bass isnt too boomy you can get away with the ve or ali thin foams without compromising clarity too much. Full foams not so much.
Thanks! I am a little wary of the shape of the Datura. Usually I battle to get a good seating in my ear with those little "bells" but I might just try it anyway.

LOL...yeah, yeah...I know...they'll change my life and all of that :)

I know that feeling well, but earbuds have always been a fun diversion I use sometimes when I tire of listening to the stuff I build. I still keep a pair of the OG Monk (the earliest version with the red labeling), the other OG Monk (the plain black shell with silver labeling) and a pair of Monk +. I saw how much activity had been going on and figured it might be fun to pick up a couple of pairs to try again. Low investment, high return on fun...
Yeah I can imagine as beautiful as the wooden headphones you build can be thar sometimes its nice to free your ears with earbuds xD

You'll like the emx500 if its not a lemon, really versatile sound with great bass and treble presence.

Oct 5, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #36,184 of 75,209
After you get it , you wouldn't need another earbud:)

that's cute, give it a month or so :o2smile:
i know i don't need it. i saw someone sold them for 100 bucks and had the opportunity, i still didn't buy it (although i should have and just resell it for profit) . I just had a meet session with friends last night, and a friend who tried it also didn't like it.

the bottom line is no single earbud mentioned in this forum is the ultimate "the one" that will make the others obselete :ksc75smile:

Oct 5, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #36,185 of 75,209
Nice find. BTW I read about the upcoming Mojito Pro as well, also a dual driver setup but featuring a massive 20mm bass driver. Prototype seems to begin to appear in China with an unconfirmed price going over USD$500.
if their are selling it for $500, i wish Rose would make them just a bit more robust.. I've seen their products (earbuds d iems) chipped and cracked (worst case) and loosing logos (minor problem but still annoying ) posted in my local forums one time too many. SQwise...well, they already have a solid base and good followers, so any improvements in that category would be a win

Oct 5, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #36,187 of 75,209
I'm just starting down this path and looking for my next pair of earbuds, not IEMs, with a mic and Android volume controls.

I've been using the Monk Lite phones for a while and enjoy the size, comfort, and price point. I wish they had a little more low end. Are there any good suggestions for a next step?

Oct 5, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #36,188 of 75,209
^ Go to the official Remax store on AliExpress, I ordered a pair of IEMs the other day but say a pair of earbuds with decent reviews (they're a few years old). RM-5something I think, anyways they let you switch the control from Android and iPhone, they looked fairly small in terms of diameter and the reviews were good.

Not very popular here because they were old as I said but worth trying for $10, different design than most of the other shells.

edit: Remax 305m is their name.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #36,189 of 75,209
I'm just starting down this path and looking for my next pair of earbuds, not IEMs, with a mic and Android volume controls.

I've been using the Monk Lite phones for a while and enjoy the size, comfort, and price point. I wish they had a little more low end. Are there any good suggestions for a next step?
Try find an emx500 with mic cable. More bass and treble than the monks, better overall sound imo.

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #36,190 of 75,209

Try find an emx500 with mic cable. More bass and treble than the monks, better overall sound imo.

sean is not leading you astray - the emx500's should be your next stop :)

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #36,191 of 75,209
For those asking me, quick comparison of D2+ vs ShoonTH ESEP-01BU.

The bass texture of the ESEP-01BU is smoother while the D2+ has quicker bass decay. The midrange of the Dragon 2+ is more lively and thinner than the ESEP-01BU. ESEP-01BU has extra body and provides a soothing intimate listen. Treble on the D2+ is brighter and slightly more extended. There is extra sparkle. The ESEP-01BU operates with smoothness. Soundstage of D2+ is bigger.

upload_2018-10-6_11-19-0.png

Oct 6, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #36,192 of 75,209
Remember those foams awhile back that were super porous and looked like they would be really itchy? I can confirm...they are very porous and itchy. But, if you have set of buds that you like the sound with no foams but need something to grip your ears, these might be for you. They kind of feel like a Brillo pad going into your ear, but once they are in there, it’s not so bad. Also, they work good underneath another foam (if you can get it on) to add some airy space in between. Not quite sure but I think I can perceive a bit of increased spaciousness in the sound this way. Anyways, my two cents.

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #36,193 of 75,209
For those asking me, quick comparison of D2+ vs ShoonTH ESEP-01BU.

The bass texture of the ESEP-01BU is smoother while the D2+ has quicker bass decay. The midrange of the Dragon 2+ is more lively and thinner than the ESEP-01BU. ESEP-01BU has extra body and provides a soothing intimate listen. Treble on the D2+ is brighter and slightly more extended. There is extra sparkle. The ESEP-01BU operates with smoothness. Soundstage of D2+ is bigger.

D2+ sounds outright better to me then :)

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #36,194 of 75,209
Remember those foams awhile back that were super porous and looked like they would be really itchy? I can confirm...they are very porous and itchy. But, if you have set of buds that you like the sound with no foams but need something to grip your ears, these might be for you. They kind of feel like a Brillo pad going into your ear, but once they are in there, it’s not so bad. Also, they work good underneath another foam (if you can get it on) to add some airy space in between. Not quite sure but I think I can perceive a bit of increased spaciousness in the sound this way. Anyways, my two cents.
They do soften after some use really, at first to the touch its scratchy but i never had an issue with them in my ear. Then after a few days of use it softens considerably. Try stick it out and see what its like in a few days :)

And yes I've tested it myself putting them under full foams gives an... Interesting effect... It adds some space to the staging because the driver is physically further from the ear, but also it removes some mid bass-low mids emphasis, so you get a more airy-thinner presentation but with the seal of a thick foam so the sound is kinda unique.

Doesn't work for some earbuds but on some it sounds quite good :)

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #36,195 of 75,209

Thanks. I have a set on the way I wanted to try on my BS1O and was wondering if they're as bad as they look. It sounds like they do to the sound what I was hoping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back