Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 3, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #36,046 of 75,868
So I finally received my EB2, in silver :D

First impressions are good, it reminds me a bit of the TO400s

Edit: Very nice cable tbh, much better than lets say the TO400s cable

Edit2: They really need a darker source

which one you like better between the two?

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #36,048 of 75,868
So I finally received my EB2, in silver :D

First impressions are good, it reminds me a bit of the TO400s

Edit: Very nice cable tbh, much better than lets say the TO400s cable

Edit2: They really need a darker source
I found them brighter in the mids but the 400s had a more peaked upper treble so it sparkled where the eb2 just smoothed out. I preferred the 400s treble slightly but i prefer the upper mids of the eb2. Both are lacking in the bass but it different ways, one has no emphasis or much punch and the other is a little undefined but has some punch (eb2).

The cable is nicer I agree.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #36,052 of 75,868
Hello folks!

People are talking about creating like a ranking system for the earbuds. I don't know if everybody knows this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...nd-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/

This thread was my first hit in headfi forum. It helped me a lot, but, maybe we can find some tool that is more easy to update. I will take a look around to see if we can find something really nice.

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #36,053 of 75,868
Hey everybody!

My Blox TM9 full review is finally finalized !
You can read it HERE

Hope you'll enjoy :)
Cheers'
Nice review @subwoof3r - especially with English not being your first language. I agree about the "try before you buy" thing. (I always make the same recommendation.) But how to do that?!? I'd estimate that even at the largest RMAF/CanJam events, we get only a tiny percentage of the worlds headphones to listen to. And I don't think I've ever even noticed a single pair earbuds on exhibit at these events.

I decided against "demo-ing" the Red Dragons. I think if I need to have a non-portable sort of cable to get full-sized can sound, I can just use my non-portable HD800S. They give full-sized can sound and they're awesome :) I hope I have a pair of TM9s on the way, but I can't say for sure, as Blox's website tells you nothing and they won't answer my emails :frowning2:

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #36,054 of 75,868
Nice review @subwoof3r - especially with English not being your first language. I agree about the "try before you buy" thing. (I always make the same recommendation.) But how to do that?!? I'd estimate that even at the largest RMAF/CanJam events, we get only a tiny percentage of the worlds headphones to listen to. And I don't think I've ever even noticed a single pair earbuds on exhibit at these events.

I decided against "demo-ing" the Red Dragons. I think if I need to have a non-portable sort of cable to get full-sized can sound, I can just use my non-portable HD800S. They give full-sized can sound and they're awesome :) I hope I have a pair of TM9s on the way, but I can't say for sure, as Blox's website tells you nothing and they won't answer my emails :frowning2:
Thing is it's hard to deny that earbuds are much more comfortable for extended listening than headphones. Basically the closest you can get to speakers for keeping you listening through high comfort and low weight. So there is a valid reason to buy say a red dragon over a HD800 if you think the extra comfort is worth it against the short comings of a much smaller driver.

Thinking about it now and going forward, if it's not something ridiculously good like a stax setup or focal utopia, I may never really spend any significant money on headphones because earbuds are getting such a high performance level and have that immersive experience of forgetting they are in your ears (the comfortable ones anyway).

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #36,055 of 75,868
Thing is it's hard to deny that earbuds are much more comfortable for extended listening than headphones. Basically the closest you can get to speakers for keeping you listening through high comfort and low weight. So there is a valid reason to buy say a red dragon over a HD800 if you think the extra comfort is worth it against the short comings of a much smaller driver.

Dang. Yes, you're right. I may yet cave and "demo" the Red Dragon. One day... :)

Thinking about it now and going forward, if it's not something ridiculously good like a stax setup or focal utopia, I may never really spend any significant money on headphones because earbuds are getting such a high performance level and have that immersive experience of forgetting they are in your ears (the comfortable ones anyway).

BTW, I'm an ex-Utopia owner. To my ears, Utopias are good, but not ridiculously good. They're not as transparent as the KSE1500s or the Xelentos. And they're nowhere near as comfy as earbuds - Utopias are quite heavy. Besides, no $4000 headphone should have such a significant bump at 5.5 kHz (or such a trough at 9 kHz). At that price point, that's unforgivable. I'd bet any money we're at some point going to see a Utopia 2 with a Helmholtz damper, similar to what went into the HD800S.

I'd not touched earbuds since I was a young, silly, naive Apple fanboy. My buddy @moedawg140 taught me the ways of the VE Monk Buds and I was really amazed. I've since been even more amazed by the ToneKing T0200 (thanks @HungryPanda !), EMX500 and Shozy BK. I totally agree - some of these buds are already rivalling the sound of some of the best IEMs and full-sized cans. The only downside - I bet I can guess which way the prices for top-end buds are going to go. Just wait until an unreasonable company like 64Audio releases their ultimate flagship earbud :wink:

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #36,056 of 75,868
I've had EB2 for a couple of days now... I am kinda blown away. They do everything that I'd want a pair of earbuds to do - a flawless vocal and instrument reproduction.

EB2 is trully a step up from everything that I've heard in their segment, I'd love to see them become the new EMX500 (which I believe was the most popular budget bud so far).

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #36,057 of 75,868
I've had EB2 for a couple of days now... I am kinda blown away. They do everything that I'd want a pair of earbuds to do - a flawless vocal and instrument reproduction.

EB2 is trully a step up from everything that I've heard in their segment, I'd love to see them become the new EMX500 (which I belive was the most popular budget bud so far).

I kinda feel the same way about the Datura X's. Have you tried them? I'm on the fence about getting the EB2's since I'm enjoying the X's so much.

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #36,058 of 75,868
I’m kind of on the fence about the EB2. I like them, but they slant on the treble side a bit much in the vocal range. They are very clear sounding (which is good) but “girly” voices can sound a bit too piercing (Patty Griffin, Bon Iver, Tiny Tim....jk) I think the Datura X is more my thing too.

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #36,059 of 75,868
I’m kind of on the fence about the EB2. I like them, but they slant on the treble side a bit much in the vocal range. They are very clear sounding (which is good) but “girly” voices can sound a bit too piercing (Patty Griffin, Bon Iver, Tiny Tim....jk) I think the Datura X is more my thing too.
I agree, but for the reason that they are bright in the mids but don't carry it too far into the treble. If I'm gonna listen to a bright earbud I want it to push detail at me all the way up to the upper treble. Eb2 is a very polite brightness, so it's smooth but lacks a full body. Bass is uncharacteristically loose for this kind if sig and thin foams dont really help to tighten it.

It's really good at many aspects (that wide soundstage and separation!) but after a few days 9f listening I've put them down for other earbuds that are more my taste.

I will try a few more foam mods on em before i come to any final conclusions though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back