Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 18, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #33,751 of 75,198
Guys, today I grabbed the EMX500 out of the drawer to compare against my recabled Vido and testing bass there's a rattling sound:

I've been trying to blow it, pressing its front cover but apparently, it's not being enough to fix it. Is there any other tip that I'm missing?

Aug 18, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #33,752 of 75,198
EDIT: Seller sent another message saying it IS infact the same driver, just a miscommunication.

Think I’ll try it out...

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #33,754 of 75,198
I must say I am enjoying the shozy bk very much, with the monk plus foams. Seems pretty near neutral, with a beautiful mid range. I could hope for a little more splash on top but otherwise it is great. How far off from current totl bud is the shozy?

Aug 18, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #33,755 of 75,198
I must say I am enjoying the shozy bk very much, with the monk plus foams. Seems pretty near neutral, with a beautiful mid range. I could hope for a little more splash on top but otherwise it is great. How far off from current totl bud is the shozy?
The Shozy bk is nice, I used to absolutely love it and i do still like many aspects of its sound like the midrange texture and airy quality, but othe TOTL buds have showed me that it is lacking in a few areas.

- Bass extension is only modest, and as you say a little wholly due to the upper bass-lower mid being quite emphasised.

- Soundstage is a little narrow and lacks depth comared to the other TOTL buds I’ve heard. Although stereo separation is very good.

Other factors like overall sound sig I cannot really judge because that’s more a subjective opinion than something to rate.

It’s a very good earbud for certain genres namely acoustic vocals and some instrumentals because it has a very good midrange quality and timbre if you like a more honest natural tonality without any harsh peaks or brightness but still want enough detail and air.

I’d say its TOTL for mid centric music but is outclassed on anything requiring more bass and treble or a more spacious soundstage.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #33,756 of 75,198
So in the end which one is the good one lol , which did jogawag get?
of the links jogawag posted earlier, he has the OFC/Silver braid cable PK SR2 16ohm and I will have the other link he posted with the ‘TPE’ cable PK SR2 16ohm found here (comes in white or black)

http://s.aliexpress.com/36BrA7Z3

same driver just different cables and a $1 price difference for said cable.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #33,758 of 75,198
Do you know what hALF/hALF is referring to? How is the bass compared to the K500? Thanks

I've not seen any specific explanation, for the meaning of the name hALF/hALF.
I do have the K's 500, and can say that the Blur hALF/hALF and the EBX both have more low Bass.
Even the Svara-L (115Ω) has more Bass than the K's 500 - but the K's, Blur, and EBX all seem to have clearer and more detailed Bass than the Svara-L.

Aug 18, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #33,759 of 75,198
I've not seen any specific explanation, for the meaning of the name hALF/hALF.
I do have the K's 500, and can say that the Blur hALF/hALF and the EBX both have more low Bass.
Even the Svara-L (115Ω) has more Bass than the K's 500 - but the K's, Blur, and EBX all seem to have clearer and more detailed Bass than the Svara-L.
H/H meaning half occ copper and half pure silver

Aug 18, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #33,760 of 75,198
@seanc6441 yes that is what I am hearing too. Something is almost veiled to me in the upper registers (almost, not quite) but otherwise pretty good.
it’s definitely slightly-moderately under neutral in parts of the upper mids and treble, but has a few bumps in the lower and upper treble give air. Honestly I think shozy was trying to create a darker-neutral signature but maintain air and detail. It’s one of the fullest sounding earbuds I own that I wouldn’t exactly consider warm.

Although with the thin aliexpress foams it’s somewhat more balanced but lacks some bass impact and depth to the soundstage, that’s why I was using mod foams.

Personally I think a comprise between the cygnus signature and bk signature would’ve been amazing. The cygnus has such a sweet treble response and cleaner mids, but less overall detail, more bloated mid bass and slightly less precise imaging.

The BK is more clinical and dry but it’s technicality is slightly better. Both I think are overpriced though. If the Cygnus was $60 and the BK $120 they would be rightly placed IMO. But then again the prices are getting a little crazy on some earbuds so you need to wait for sales or lookout for the best value at each price point now.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #33,761 of 75,198
@seanc6441 my knowledge of earbuds is very limited (2 pairs lol). Despite this I'm finding the sub bass on the Moon Harvester Nightshade to be something quite special. There's almost a nice physical sensation to the presentation from this earbud, it doesn't lack in the mids and highs either. Some really nice details and quite a wide soundstage. Not sure of the size though as this is all new to me still.

Aug 18, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #33,762 of 75,198
@seanc6441 my knowledge of earbuds is very limited (2 pairs lol). Despite this I'm finding the sub bass on the Moon Harvester Nightshade to be something quite special. There's almost a nice physical sensation to the presentation from this earbud, it doesn't lack in the mids and highs either. Some really nice details and quite a wide soundstage. Not sure of the size though as this is all new to me still.
All my earbuds sound unique to be honest and most of them I enjoy for different music. Glad you’re enjoying them that’s the main thing, soundstage and imaging is my favourite aspect of earbuds really, the good ones really do an excellent job of portraying an open space, precision and layering.

I’m always looking for the best extension because that’s where buds struggle at times but few of them can do it well. Then to combine that with an ideal signature and a good 3D soundstage and accurate imaging :D .... Do I ask too much? I know it’s possible I just need to keep looking ^^

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #33,763 of 75,198
All my earbuds sound unique to be honest and most of them I enjoy for different music. Glad you’re enjoying them that’s the main thing, soundstage and imaging is my favourite aspect of earbuds really, the good ones really do an excellent job of portraying an open space, precision and layering.

I’m always looking for the best extension because that’s where buds struggle at times but few of them can do it well. Then to combine that with an ideal signature and a good 3D soundstage and accurate imaging :D .... Do I ask too much? I know it’s possible I just need to keep looking ^^

The Nightshade might be worth you having a wee gander at. Compared to the ToneKing 400s, it has more bass presence and depth.

Aug 18, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #33,764 of 75,198
The Nightshade might be worth you having a wee gander at. Compared to the ToneKing 400s, it has more bass presence and depth.
Yes, but i consider the TO400s bass light in stock tuning. I suspect your night shade is more neutral bass then. Maybe even on the bassy side, my K's Ling is the only earbud I own with serious sub bass. I have other bassy earbuds but the Ling extends further. I can hear (*feel more like) it rumble at 20hz at medium-loud volume. It has a satisfying thump, but it needs to be toned down in the mid bass to use the full foams with it, or else it's a bit overwhelming.

But also the treble response is well extended so I regard it's driver highly. But it's lack of back porting is questionable to me, feels like it's lacking some openess at times because of its semi closed nature.

It can sound quite intense at times...

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #33,765 of 75,198
I had an absolutely MAD idea to open up the shell with a heat gun and drill out a port in the back of the brass housing, because I need to 'fix' these wonderful earbuds... But i keep remembering how expensive they are and I get scared lol...

And i know they were tuned to be without a back vent but I was gonna compensate by narrowing the port on the stem part to keep the air outflow relatively equal to before and drill the smallest port/ports possible to minimize the difference...

Again absolutely bonkers here xD

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back