Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 18, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #33,736 of 75,463
Which version is that (16 ohm, 32 ohm etc.? I wanna jump on the bandwagon as well :D
16 ohm SR2 driver, if it’s the same as jogawags measured above it has better sub bass extension and more linear mids, but less ‘sparkle’ up top than both cygnus and docomo stock. I know how the cygnus sounds and I’ll take the bass response of this sr2 16 ohm over it, plus the cygnus has good sparkle and a slightly brighter treble so this driver probably has a smoother sound with more neutral treble. Might be good for thin foams I’d imagine.

But it’s $12 and the driver is all that matters if you plan on tuning it :)

If the runner cable is soft I prefer this cable than cheap braid or plastic cables anyway because they are usually much softer like the monk plus cable.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #33,739 of 75,463
16 ohm SR2 driver, if it’s the same as jogawags measured above it has better sub bass extension and more linear mids, but less ‘sparkle’ up top than both cygnus and docomo stock. I know how the cygnus sounds and I’ll take the bass response of this sr2 16 ohm over it, plus the cygnus has good sparkle and a slightly brighter treble so this driver probably has a smoother sound with more neutral treble. Might be good for thin foams I’d imagine.

But it’s $12 and the driver is all that matters if you plan on tuning it :)

If the runner cable is soft I prefer this cable than cheap braid or plastic cables anyway because they are usually much softer like the monk plus cable.

I'll go for the red one, I dont have anything red yet haha

I actually wanna start making my own earbuds and have gathered most of the things I need in my shopping cart :D

Aug 18, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #33,742 of 75,463
Good headphone

You mean the best? :p
Mine has flaws but perfect condition one would be very nice, the 540 gold is the best I’d imagine with original pads. Now that’s a headphone I want to own badly :))

Aug 18, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #33,743 of 75,463
Mine has flaws but perfect condition one would be very nice, the 540 gold is the best I’d imagine with original pads. Now that’s a headphone I want to own badly :))

What flaws? I'm lucky mine is in mint condition but the foam in the pads were like 80%~ and I cant have none of that haha so I had the original velour pads reconditioned with new NOS foam.

Aug 18, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #33,744 of 75,463
You also have the Sennheiser HD560 Ovation II, how is it? iirc its supposed to be heavier on the bass side of things
The imaging/staging on the HD540 just sounds more accurate than the rest. I dont think I have even hardly touched any of my other headphones since I got them. I got them last out all the Sennheiser stuff I have and it won me over. It probably doesn't help that we have the Head-fi thread to help brain wash us on them too lol. I'll use my HD580s for streaming movies since they are bassier than the HD540s but that about it. Anyways, we better get back on topic before someone gets annoyed. I am sorry I led us astray for a few minutes.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #33,746 of 75,463
What flaws? I'm lucky mine is in mint condition but the foam in the pads were like 80%~ and I cant have none of that haha so I had the original velour pads reconditioned with new NOS foam.
There’s a nasty treble spike, I’m like treble but this is severe... It’s quite harsh sounding on most tracks possibly because of this spike. Bass is ok but lacks some extension (might be normal idk)

my pads are all velour and seem stock but i was told the hybrid pads from some 540 models were the best, think its a leather and cloth/fabric hybrid, some have the fabric in white and others black.

Aug 18, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #33,747 of 75,463
The imaging/staging on the HD540 just sounds more accurate than the rest. I dont think I have even hardly touched any of my other headphones since I got them. I got them last out all the Sennheiser stuff I have and it won me over. It probably doesn't help that we have the Head-fi thread to help brain wash us on them too lol. I'll use my HD580s for streaming movies since they are bassier than the HD540s but that about it.

Yeah, its the best out of the old Senns , too bad mint pairs go for ridiculous prices

Aug 18, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #33,748 of 75,463
The imaging/staging on the HD540 just sounds more accurate than the rest. I dont think I have even hardly touched any of my other headphones since I got them. I got them last out all the Sennheiser stuff I have and it won me over. It probably doesn't help that we have the Head-fi thread to help brain wash us on them too lol. I'll use my HD580s for streaming movies since they are bassier than the HD540s but that about it. Anyways, we better get back on topic before someone gets annoyed. I am sorry I led us astray for a few minutes.
No worries, earbuds earbuds earbuds. Fixed :D

Aug 18, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #33,749 of 75,463
So can you confirm that it's a quality issue with the driver itself? - not too concerned about the cable - as I'm on the verge of ordering a pair from Jim.
Yup, clearly, it was a defective driver.
Cable also has a problem (bad contacts to "R" side sometimes), but it is less major to me anyway since I ordered a new MMCX cable from Jim (not the original one that came with EBX). Too bad because I really like EBX original cable (a mix of 50/50 copper and silver). My review will be made with the original cable anyway.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #33,750 of 75,463
There’s a nasty treble spike, I’m like treble but this is severe... It’s quite harsh sounding on most tracks possibly because of this spike. Bass is ok but lacks some extension (might be normal idk)

my pads are all velour and seem stock but i was told the hybrid pads from some 540 models were the best, think its a leather and cloth/fabric hybrid, some have the fabric in white and others black.

To be fair their were built for tube amps, so you need something dark to drive them. I was told to opposite from someone who tried them, that the velour is better ( and the original pad, "same" as the velour in the hd800 ) plus the leather and cloth pads are all ****ed, the only mint one I saw was on a ref I, pick up only in germany...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back