Earbuds Round-Up
May 21, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #31,202 of 75,380
Congrats! Yeah, indonesian earbuds sound amazing. I also have balanced MK3 here, but have not listened so far.

yup, and also don't forget the Thailand earbuds, they also pack a punch for their price. i haven't have the luck to hear the Vietnamese and Philippines earbuds yet though

May 21, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #31,203 of 75,380
yup, and also don't forget the Thailand earbuds, they also pack a punch for their price. i haven't have the luck to hear the Vietnamese and Philippines earbuds yet though

Got recommendations for thailand earbuds, chinmie?

May 21, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #31,204 of 75,380
Are the 2.5mm options actually balanced versions of the earbuds @ Rholupat store? They share the same images as their 3.5mm counterparts and the descriptions doesn't say much about their specs.
That being said, I have no balanced sources or amps to play with, so I'm all 3.5mm ATM...

Yup, they´re balanced.

May 21, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #31,206 of 75,380
Sunrise SW-Dragon II (SWD2) SR120 120ohm High Fidelity Quality Professional Earphones Earbuds
http://s.aliexpress.com/E3AzERrE
S80521-103632.jpg

May 21, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #31,207 of 75,380
Lings are supremely comfortable for me. The shape is like a bell but the size is compact, fits my medium to smaller ears so well.

The weight isn’t an issue for me, because it’s distributed in the ear and the cable is very light, so it’s not pulling down at all.

I notice them in my ear so not like PK shell where you forget about them, but comfort wise they are just as comfortable.

Now here is where the issue for me becomes obvious. The bass is so strong that I was feeling too much pressure with regular or donut foams included. The size/shape was too good a fit for my ear so it was a good seal and the bass pressure was too strong.

Solution for darker/warmer sources is the aliexpress thin foams. Bass becomes perfect, tight and punchy and deep but not boomy or over pressuring thanks to the loose seal of these foams. I advise against this on brighter or neutral sources, because they will be very bright as this earbud has a high level of brightness in the mids and treble as the tuning is V leaning, the dip being just above the mid bass and raises at mids and treble.

If your source if neutral or brighter like my V20 the only solution I’ve found so far is something very unique all together. But it’s more diy stuff than stock foams so i don’t recommend it unless they already bought this earbud and need a ‘fix’.

The earbud itself is amazing, I don’t usually like V shape but this is V shape done almost perfectly (except for upper mid being too bright). It’s vocals are still foward and full bodied and the dip is not too noticeable at all. Soundstage is pretty effortless and imaging is very 3D with excellent depth layering.

I wish I had a dark source to try these on with thin foams, because they match so well with this foam but my poor ears cannot handle it on my V20... and I’m NOT that treble sensitive to begin with.

I find them to sound excellent in SE (the only option). I don’t feel the need to change the soundstage at all. It’s both intimate and spacious and extends effortlessly. Not the biggest or widest in the TOTL tier I’d imagine but wide and deep in comparison to many other earbuds.
Thanks! I already have the thin Ali foams to try out. Plus, in future, should I need to convert the Lings to balanced - I've previously made up cables with 2.5mm trrs plugs. Hence, the extended 3D soundstage swings it for me instead of opting for BS1...

May 21, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #31,208 of 75,380
Got recommendations for thailand earbuds, chinmie?

I've only have tried a couple of blox, V master, and Neosound Soul. the V master tuning is not my preference (not bad at all though), Neo Soul is eerily similar sounding to MK2, but a bit smoother across the freq

May 21, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #31,209 of 75,380
Especially considering they're $100! ...re-considering buying these - poor fit and a heavy cable could be deal-breakers?...despite the wonderful sound signature.
That’s the issue, you can find other earbuds with wonderful sound that don’t have these issues...

The fit issue is no worse than your typical mx500 shell, it may even be better for some. But the fact that the SQ is completely reliant on the fit means the shell and cable needed to be perfect.

I cut a thin foam into a ‘disk’ to put under a regular full foam to make to thick and seal better. It’s working wonders for the bass and fit but this shouldn’t be necessary to get a good fit... Even heigi foams weren’t doing it for me bass wise.

So if you don’t enjoy having to mod your earbuds out of box, maybe pass...

As for the ling mids, I’m not sure if I’d call them completely transparent. They definitely have coloured sounding upper mids, it’s quite bright. The vocal region is also a little brighter but sounds natural to me. I guess I consider natural to be anything close to neutral than dead neutral because shozk bk is slightly darker leaning but sounds natural and these are definitely brighter leaning but vocals sound honest and realistic.

The upper mids have a peak that can be really evident on certain tracks but this may be a result of being paired with the V20.

I still think a darker souce and aliexpress thin foams is the ideal solution. These sound ridiculously transparent and airy with those foams but never sacrifice on a solid and deep bass response. Best of both worlds.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #31,213 of 75,380
After a week of diligent and disciplined burning in (more superstitious than scientific I suppose), finally listening to the Cypherus Audio buds I picked up.

If there's an interest, would be happy to share my impressions on the sound/experience of ordering.

DnAlSLbl.jpg

Please do share! I always love reading reviews and impressions

May 21, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #31,214 of 75,380
I hate this hobby, there’s always one more bud you gotta try/get!
Received Black Panther from Wong Kwan Wae last week, and now I’ve got the Blur White Chocolate ordered!
Now My poor wallet hates me as well! :wink: :)

May 21, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #31,215 of 75,380
I hate this hobby, there’s always one more bud you gotta try/get!
Received Black Panther from Wong Kwan Wae last week, and now I’ve got the Blur White Chocolate ordered!
Now My poor wallet hates me as well! :wink: :)
I take it you liked the panther then? Any impressions to share? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back