Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 10, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #30,093 of 75,244
Apr 10, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #30,095 of 75,244
Igor mentioned that the bass is punchy while others state it is anemic. I know you have/had a pair of these, as I've read. Can you elaborate? :)
It can depend on the fit and foams used greatly. Bass quality and extension is important as quantity can be tweaked by foams considerably.

I usually like bass to be balanced and enough quantity so I can use a loose seal for better airy sound. But if its not enough you can use some foam tricks to add quantity effectively for most earbuds.

But if the bass isn't deep enough or good quality it won't magically get better.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #30,096 of 75,244
Even with heavy EQ the MS16 doesn't really get that much bass, but I wouldn't say it's anemic. There are certainly better options for bass if that's your goal.

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #30,098 of 75,244
Even with heavy EQ the MS16 doesn't really get that much bass, but I wouldn't say it's anemic. There are certainly better options for bass if that's your goal.
No, bass isn't my goal. I was just worried there wouldn't be any presence. I was looking for earbuds that give a clear, detailed, and balanced sound (earbuds because IEMs make my eardrums hurt during extended listening sessions). Would the MS16 be a good choice, or are there better options?

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #30,099 of 75,244
No, bass isn't my goal. I was just worried there wouldn't be any presence. I was looking for earbuds that give a clear, detailed, and balanced sound (earbuds because IEMs make my eardrums hurt during extended listening sessions). Would the MS16 be a good choice, or are there better options?
Nicehck DIY PK2 with multi hole heigi foam is my current favourite in the budget category, but that can be overcomplicated to cut and in stock foam pk2 isn’t in the best balance (leans towards mid/treble emphasis and light bass. But with the tweak I find it the most balanced and neutral of all the buds I heard in the budget range.

But for an easier option you can try Auglamour RX1 which I have myself.

or if you want to try buds others have been recommending maybe the Willsound MK2.

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #30,100 of 75,244
If you’re looking for a starter option as the MS16 is under $10, then it’s a reasonable place to start for your tastes as it’s a fairly balanced earbud.

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #30,101 of 75,244
Nicehck DIY PK2 with multi hole heigi foam is my current favourite in the budget category, but that can be overcomplicated to cut and in stock foam pk2 isn’t in the best balance (leans towards mid/treble emphasis and light bass. But with the tweak I find it the most balanced and neutral of all the buds I heard in the budget range.

But for an easier option you can try Auglamour RX1 which I have myself.

or if you want to try buds others have been recommending maybe the Willsound MK2.
All of the buds you mentioned aren't available here in my country :/

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #30,104 of 75,244
I joined a Facebook group of audiophiles and they recommend the EMX500s, VE Monk+, FAAEAL Snow Lotus 2.0, and the Vido earbuds. What do you think?

I don't have experience with the Snow Lotus, and only have experience with the EMX500 but not the EMX500S. The EMX500 is relatively balanced, and has a wonderful sound for it's price, one I feel is an easy recommendation for most. Monk+ due to it's low cost and solid balanced performance for the price is also easy for me to recommend, but many find that after a bit with that one they move onto other sounds as they learn what they prefer among earbuds. For a bassier sound, the Vido is a very easy recommendation, but as you're not actively seeking bass, it might not suit you. Keep in mind that earbud bass can be considered anemic compared to IEMs and full size headphones, so what may be considered bassy like the Vido might be more balanced for someone not used to earbuds in general.

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #30,105 of 75,244
I don't have experience with the Snow Lotus, and only have experience with the EMX500 but not the EMX500S. The EMX500 is relatively balanced, and has a wonderful sound for it's price, one I feel is an easy recommendation for most. Monk+ due to it's low cost and solid balanced performance for the price is also easy for me to recommend, but many find that after a bit with that one they move onto other sounds as they learn what they prefer among earbuds. For a bassier sound, the Vido is a very easy recommendation, but as you're not actively seeking bass, it might not suit you. Keep in mind that earbud bass can be considered anemic compared to IEMs and full size headphones, so what may be considered bassy like the Vido might be more balanced for someone not used to earbuds in general.
I see, thanks a lot for your reply :) I already ordered the MS16, I won't be cancelling it anymore. The open-back design really amazed me and was what really pulled me into buying it. I really want a pair of decent open-back headphones, but unfortunately, I'm still a student. Here's to hoping that the MS16 will serve as a budget alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back