Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 6, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #28,771 of 75,405
I love my Monks. Never hurts to start with a classic...especially for the price. Whenever I put in my Monks, I end up listening for hours..totally enjoying my music.
Yeah I try to explain it as ‘they’re good, but the competition is possibly better’ by today’s standard, although it may come across as me calling them bad, when they are definitely not! Because so many have heard of the monk hype and may be disappointed because earbuds have come along ever further now. Allowing for much better extension of bass and treble whilst retaining midrange quality and more detail and clarity than the monks.

The monks are nice and brought popularity back to earbuds, but I think the emx500/vido/pk2/rx1 are more competitive price-performance.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #28,772 of 75,405
The monks are nice and brought popularity back to earbuds, but I think the emx500/vido/pk2/rx1 are more competitive price-performance.

I understand your point. My point had nothing to do with that.

I own those last two. I have access to the first two through my husband.but have never bothered to listen to them. Also keep in mind that I have excellent sources. The Monk plus is 64 ohm.

Mar 6, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #28,773 of 75,405
Thanks! For $9.90 or so delivered I won’t look back on the Monks. I can always give to the kids. I hate sibilance....makes me cringe. Would prefer clean upper bass and forward mids I think. Really enjoying my Sennheiser 6xx off Massdrop, amped with the Creative e5.

I’m definitely going to start researching and thanks seanc6441 for the link.

My musical taste is:
Rush, Zeppelin, Dire Straits, Mark Knopfler, Kristina Train, Karen Carpenter, Croce, Aesop Rock, Pearl Jam, Idol, some occasional dance beat club mixes, some 80’s stuff like Tears For Fears. Occasional jazz. Current Pop maybe. On earbuds it would probably be the occasional fall asleep...so Enya, Celtic, calming instrumental.

Not dubstep, don’t like much hip hop, no electronic.

Budget: under $50 for multiple. Over $50 for knock me off my ass. I’m thinking of getting g the Apple EarPods at $170 just for the ridiculous convenience and good enough without catching a cord on everything. I own 10 other pair of Bluetooth I don’t use, just too much isolation.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #28,774 of 75,405

Uh oh... I started with a Monk...now look at my list :). Mine is not as long as many... This can become an addiction...particularly because you can try many quite inexpensively.

Zeppelin, Dire Straits, Mark Knopfler

Now I want to listen to them...

Actually listening to David Knopfler as I type this.

Would prefer clean upper bass and forward mids I think.

I think you will be happy. The Monks do not cause listeners fatigue in my experience. What else did you order?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #28,776 of 75,405
Thanks! For $9.90 or so delivered I won’t look back on the Monks. I can always give to the kids. I hate sibilance....makes me cringe. Would prefer clean upper bass and forward mids I think. Really enjoying my Sennheiser 6xx off Massdrop, amped with the Creative e5.

My musical taste is:
Rush, Zeppelin, Dire Straits, Mark Knopfler, Kristina Train, Karen Carpenter, Croce, Aesop Rock, Pearl Jam, Idol, some occasional dance beat club mixes, some 80’s stuff like Tears For Fears. Occasional jazz. Current Pop maybe. On earbuds it would probably be the occasional fall asleep...so Enya, Celtic, calming instrumental.

Budget: under $50 for multiple. Over $50 for knock me off my ass. I’m thinking of getting g the Apple EarPods at $170 just for the ridiculous convenience and good enough without catching a cord on everything. I own 10 other pair of Bluetooth I don’t use, just too much isolation.

Budget Range

RX1 (with some EQ and other tweaks): Clear and most detailed under $50, smooth, lush-full forward vocals/mids, neutral tonality and fairly balanced response. Not as extended in sub bass or treble as others but enough to enjoy most music, but very smooth and refined so absolutely no sibilence or harshness. Good imaging and close-medium sized soundstage.

Monk plus: (Darker, warmer mid centric signature, very airy and light sound, soundstage is quite decent. No sub bass or treble extension so avoid genres that require this)

Moondrop Nameless: (don’t own myself): Balanced, slightly warm, separatation and wide soundstage, relaxed and smooth signature... apperantly very good and great build quality for the price (metal shell).

“Knock you on your ass earbuds”

Shozy BK: Natural, neutral-slightly warm signature, linear response with slight sub bass roll off, analog tuning with a slight lower mid bump for deep vocal emphasis, airy up top, extremely lush thick vocals gives a similar experience to full size cans. Great resolution/detail and instrumental separation. Intimate forward soundstage, just enough width and depth to enjoy most genres other than EDM/atmospheric stuff, definitely a smaller soundstage overall but with excellent imaging. Love the classy look, very nice cable and understated matte black finish

Penon BS1 (worn over ear and with fit tweaks): Neutral in tonality and balanced, medium body to the vocals, very smooth and lush. Little brighter than the BK with more of an emphasis on female vocals, but has a lovely balance of sub and mid bass with the right fit. Almost as detailed as the bk, clarity is too notch. Soundstage (again with the right fit) is large and airy, imaging is headphone standard 3D and accurate (I mean it). Best value for performance of all my premium earbuds. Cable and build quality is amazing but a little on the heavy side.

My advice is to get budget earbuds and get some premium ones after if you feel like upgrading , maybe avoid mid range from $30-80 because it’s not always an impressive jump in SQ but going from $20 to $100+ will be much more pleasing. Besides the budget stuff is extremely nice price-performance and I still enjoy it along with my more expensive stuff for various uses.

Of course if you want to collect lots of earbuds do whatever you like :)) But if you’re looking to get the most out of your earbuds budget and premium offerings make sense for practical reasons and listening enjoyment respectively.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #28,777 of 75,405
I honestly found the Monk+ decent, but a disappointment coming from the previous version. Lacked the refinement and bass quality. Simply sounded, and felt, like a cheaper product. If I hadn't heard/owned the prior version, I'm sure I would have been completely happy with the Monk+, but that's not the case.
I found it amazing in the mids/vocals coming from earpods (monk + got me into this in the first place) but even back then i was missing the bass and treble. It sounded wonderfully pleasant though, with acoustic stuff especially.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #28,778 of 75,405

My musical taste is:

Based on your preference:
budget: Auglamour RX1, **** PT15, Sharp MD, Qian 69.

Going up, you might want to try the Yinman and puresound earbuds

Mar 6, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #28,779 of 75,405
Based on your preference:
budget: Auglamour RX1, **** PT15, Sharp MD, Qian 69.

Going up, you might want to try the Yinman and puresound earbuds
RX1 definitely for anyone sensitive to sibilance and looking for good vocal quality. Especially paired with a slightly warmer source to take the edge off that neutral tonality.

Mar 6, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #28,780 of 75,405
On a side note I've been experimenting trying my earbuds with an 100 ohm impedance adapter that i got for my ER4XR, and i quite like the results. It gives smoother attack and a more "polished" sound. Loving it with my Yinman 500, Svara L, and Willsound MK2

Mar 6, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #28,781 of 75,405
On a side note I've been experimenting trying my earbuds with an 100 ohm impedance adapter that i got for my ER4XR, and i quite like the results. It gives smoother attack and a more "polished" sound. Loving it with my Yinman 500, Svara L, and Willsound MK2
Hmm interesting, does it not dull the sound too much? I guess it depends on the earbud. You can get 50 ohm impendance adapters too much effect them to a lesser extent.

Mar 6, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #28,782 of 75,405
Hmm interesting, does it not dull the sound too much? I guess it depends on the earbud. You can get 50 ohm impendance adapters too much effect them to a lesser extent.

It does reduces treble but in a tasteful way. Better than attenuating treble with thicker foams. I put thin foams (that dollar for a hundred pieces one) on almost all my buds (i put the descriptions on my profile page).

When i use the impedance adapter on the hifh impedance buds like yinman 500 and puresounds 500, it doesn't reduce volume too much, and treble reduction is also minimal

Mar 6, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #28,783 of 75,405
How does liebeslied compared to poseidon?
What about poseidon to cax red dragon?
Never owned earbud before. I have flc8s, i really liked the vocals on it (red-clear-none). Would any of them trumps flc8s in the vocals department?

I want to experience a wide and deep soundstage, since I can't get those with iems.

I'll also be trying zoomfred next weekend.

Mar 6, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #28,784 of 75,405

My musical taste is:

Knock your socks off? 80's New Wave? The Carpenters? The answer is Rose Mojito. One of the buds that does balanced output very well, too. Interchangable cable. My fav.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #28,785 of 75,405
:3 Just because.

Monk Chief.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back