Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 18, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #27,286 of 75,258
@DJ The Rocket There are a number of topics (whether cables make any difference and whether burn-in makes any difference being the big two) that tend to derail conversations. Likewise, there are a number of dismissive comments that people can make (calling someone a 'troll,' claiming expectation bias or placebo effect, etc.) that tend to do the same. In the interest of not turning Head-Fi into a ridiculous shouting match on wildly tangential topics, there are some oddly specific rules. Blind-testing is one of those nettlesome topics. It tends to rile people up and make them type things they shouldn't. Just mentioning those topics probably won't get you into trouble, but it is at the discretion of the mods and they are an inscrutable sort at times. Personally, I don't mind because I have seen the alternative on other sites and it is an angry, unproductive place.

And then there is the simple matter of etiquette. @Saoshyant was just politely pointing out that the discussion was straying off topic. And it was. Time to get back to discussing earbuds, buds.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #27,287 of 75,258
Does anyone own or has heard the Astrotec Collection model? I really want to get a Mojito but am very hesitant given the qc.

Are their any Mojito alternatives? I am seeking an earbud with a neutral signature that extends both ways (ie sub bass and expansive sound stage) but is balanced and has clarity with excellent detail retrieval.

If it really comes down to it, I may just start experimenting with mods to create this ideal earbud.

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #27,288 of 75,258
@Saoshyant @phthora : Totally agreed. Likes I previously commented before. If those who interested on cable configuration, tech specs, etc for using with small earphones likes IEMs or earbuds please go, read or ask in this thread. or any cable discussion thread.

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #27,289 of 75,258
@Blackground : I ever tried Astrotec Classic. My problem is its O.D. size is bigger than MX500 shell which I can't get it fit and sit on my ears well. YMMV. In term of SQ, I don't impressed it. From my memory, It provides neutral tonality and more width than average sound stage.

By the way, there is a review from Audio123, here.

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #27,290 of 75,258
I don’t quite understand the iphone one. Don’t you need an external dac/amp dongle to use lightning port with ‘analog’ cables?

How would this work without a dac-amp inside the unit?
Refer to this Link, There is a small DAC/AMP inside Lightning connector.

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #27,291 of 75,258
Refer to this Link, There is a small DAC/AMP inside Lightning connector.

Sorry for going further off topic. I am amazed how knowledgeable people in different publications keep calling it lightning to 3.5mm "adapter", it's a full DAC/AMP combo. It is essentially the same as calling Chord Mojo an adapter because it converts your lightning port to 3.5mm port for headphones, which is ridiculous.
Adapters are only meant to do rewiring of sorts and adapt the same type of signal with a certain interface to another one. In another words, no two "USB to 3.5mm adapters" are the same and could potentially function like completely different devices.

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #27,292 of 75,258
Back to the topic: If I was not aware of the cost of VE Monk lite 120 Ohm, paid for them for example 60 usd, I would be very pleased .. but they cost only 10! OMG..
Really like Zen lite ii
P80114-131100-001.jpg

Jan 19, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #27,294 of 75,258
Back to the topic: If I was not aware of the cost of VE Monk lite 120 Ohm, paid for them for example 60 usd, I would be very pleased .. but they cost only 10! OMG..
Really like Zen lite ii

I'm really glad that I bought the Monk Lite 120 ohm during the first launch as it seems they will only be sold in limited quantities now, starting today there are only 10 units on sale so grab them while you can.

I have also joined the Zen Lite club :thumbsup:

zen lite.jpg
Xduoo X3, RA+, Zen Lite

Jan 19, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #27,295 of 75,258
Really like Zen lite ii

I'm really glad that I bought the Monk Lite 120 ohm during the first launch as it seems they will only be sold in limited quantities now, starting today there are only 10 units on sale so grab them while you can.

I have also joined the Zen Lite club :thumbsup:

Xduoo X3, RA+, Zen Lite

Snagged the monk lite 120. Thanks guys!

Jan 19, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #27,296 of 75,258

Just checked and they are gone now but there are to be more next week I think. Anyone interested should keep track of the VE facebook page.

Snagged the monk lite 120. Thanks guys!

Me too! I got mine exactly when it became available... 6am my time... now it is 7:25 so back to sleep for me... this is the middle of the night... lol. I was too excited when I actually managed to get one that I knew I would not be able to fall right back to sleep. I was shaking... lol.

I wonder if you got the last one. There were only 10 Monk LIte 120ohm Standard Editon for today.

You can get the 120 ohm with the SPC cable anytime but it costs more and I liked the look of the pure white standard cable with the white/silver shell.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #27,297 of 75,258
Just checked and they are gone now but there are to be more next week I think. Anyone interested should keep track of the VE facebook page.

Me too! I got mine exactly when it became available... 6am my time... now it is 7:25 so back to sleep for me... this is the middle of the night... lol. I was too excited when I actually managed to get one that I knew I would not be able to fall right back to sleep. I was shaking... lol.

I wonder if you got the last one. There were only 10 Monk LIte 120ohm Standard Editon for today.

You can get the 120 ohm with the SPC cable anytime but it costs more and I liked the look of the pure white standard cable with the white/silver shell.
fast :)
https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=24

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #27,299 of 75,258

I actually thought they would be gone within 2 minutes! I thought hundreds of people were sitting at their PC like me... refreshing the page twice per minute until it became available. I started doing that a few minutes before.

I didn't realise they were going to be in limited supply. Might need to snag one soon.

Only the 120 ohm $6 Standard versions is limited. The 120ohm with the SPC cable for $20 is not limited. Neither is the 40 ohm Standard or SPC.

I ordered a 40 ohm last week and it has shipped.

need to sleep... only have had 3 or 4 hours so far...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back