Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 18, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #27,256 of 75,119
For those who are interested on cable technical specification, configuration, material, etc. -> Please go here.

Jan 18, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #27,257 of 75,119
@vladstef Prolly the first version of the **** PT15. That thing was razor sharp/metallic the first and only time I tried it. You could also check Toneking buds as bright with very wide soundstage is kind of their house sound. There's also the NiceHCK DIY PK2 which sports a midcentric and bright signature.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #27,258 of 75,119
Today I bought a digital caliper called OKURA ODC-150.
IMG_20180118_181301_HDR.jpg

O.D. of Penon BS1 Front Cover = 16.75 mm.
IMG_20180118_181631_HDR.jpg

O.D. of Kinera Buds Front Cover = 16.07 mm.
IMG_20180118_181820_HDR.jpg

Hope this helps.

Jan 18, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #27,259 of 75,119
Hey guys. I lost my Monk v1 (black shell) :frowning2: one of my favorite earbuds for its sound signature kinda veiled and powerful when paired with a good amp.

I have seen a lot of love to EMX500 now, I've already bought one and I'm waiting it arrives now. But reading old posts, do the problems regarding QC like such a bad driver placement causing bass issues still happening nowadays? Really hoping I won't find a lemon, lol.

Also, can someone with Shozy BK and old graphenes (NiceHCK) confirm if their sound signature is kind of similar? Reading polarized opinions about graphene it's either "OMG it's so good!" or "Who's the deaf guy who tuned this earbud?".

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #27,260 of 75,119
Today I bought a digital caliper called OKURA ODC-150.

O.D. of Penon BS1 Front Cover = 16.75 mm.

O.D. of Kinera Buds Front Cover = 16.07 mm.

Hope this helps.

You are now the official thread earbud measurement officer :)

Seriously though, a comparative list for all earbuds would help a lot of people to make better informed choices, if bud size / fit is an issue.

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #27,261 of 75,119
@j4100 : Thanks. I will appreciate if someone sent me review unit to do measurement. lol

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #27,263 of 75,119
Hey guys. I lost my Monk v1 (black shell) :frowning2: one of my favorite earbuds for its sound signature kinda veiled and powerful when paired with a good amp.

I have seen a lot of love to EMX500 now, I've already bought one and I'm waiting it arrives now. But reading old posts, do the problems regarding QC like such a bad driver placement causing bass issues still happening nowadays? Really hoping I won't find a lemon, lol.

Also, can someone with Shozy BK and old graphenes (NiceHCK) confirm if their sound signature is kind of similar? Reading polarized opinions about graphene it's either "OMG it's so good!" or "Who's the deaf guy who tuned this earbud?".
Not close at all tbh, I read that review on headfi comparing them but in reality they have different signatures.. BK is balanced and slightly warm. Graphene is slightly V shape and neutral.

Graphene is good for the price but I didn’t love it, BK is expensive but I absolutely adore it’s sound signature, perfect midrange and extended high + analog bass.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #27,264 of 75,119
You are now the official thread earbud measurement officer :)

Seriously though, a comparative list for all earbuds would help a lot of people to make better informed choices, if bud size / fit is an issue.

That would certainly help but I am finding that fit for me involves more than just the diameter of the shell. The shape, the curve, the fit of the stem (is there a special name for that part?) all affect comfort for me. This is why the Moondrop Nameless did not work for me.

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #27,265 of 75,119
@seanc6441 , @chinmie , @waynes world , thank for suggestions. I don't actually prefer bright sound but I want to extract the driver and experiment a bit in some diy builds. **** PT15 is an excellent candidate given the low price.

On another hand, for some time now I had a pair of, what seamed, throw-away buds that I didn't even want to listen to (they were acquired from some sort of a bulk packaging and cost me like 0.5 euros, guy who was selling them had no idea how good they were, probably stolen goods from somewhere). Anyways, I put them in yesterday and I couldn't believe the sound. There is no branding nor logo of any kind, cable is Vido quality pretty much but they have a mic which makes me think that these are somewhat modern. Maybe someone knows what these are...
I opened them up and the driver is only held by this rubber ring - I cut the pieces that went over the driver and covered some of the holes so that only the ring remains. I knew that I had seen this driver design on aliexpress and I think this one is it, this was the look of the rubber cover. Quite expensive as far as stand alone earbud drivers go, not surprised to be honest.

20180118_150604.jpg 20180118_150751.jpg

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #27,266 of 75,119
@seanc6441 , @chinmie , @waynes world , thank for suggestions. I don't actually prefer bright sound but I want to extract the driver and experiment a bit in some diy builds. **** PT15 is an excellent candidate given the low price.

On another hand, for some time now I had a pair of, what seamed, throw-away buds that I didn't even want to listen to (they were acquired from some sort of a bulk packaging and cost me like 0.5 euros, guy who was selling them had no idea how good they were, probably stolen goods from somewhere). Anyways, I put them in yesterday and I couldn't believe the sound. There is no branding nor logo of any kind, cable is Vido quality pretty much but they have a mic which makes me think that these are somewhat modern. Maybe someone knows what these are...
I opened them up and the driver is only held by this rubber ring - I cut the pieces that went over the driver and covered some of the holes so that only the ring remains. I knew that I had seen this driver design on aliexpress and I think this one is it, this was the look of the rubber cover. Quite expensive as far as stand alone earbud drivers go, not surprised to be honest.

I've got a set of those kicking around somewhere but they're terminated in a 3pole 2.5mm jack. Wonder if they'd work through the Walnut F1's 2.5mm balanced out?

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #27,267 of 75,119

Anything to compare to? As good as emx500/graphene? better?

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #27,268 of 75,119
Anything to compare to? As good as emx500/graphene? better?

Well, this might be an excellent way to practice, given that @B9Scrambler has the same pair and he will give you a better idea. They are mid forward, very nice bass texture, smooth top end but not enough sparkle for me, bass actually goes down to 20Hz, although it's not loud. Vocals are very nice, better than EMX500, Vido. Kinda similar sound signature compared to Auglamour RX-1, but less punch in the lower-mid range I think. Also, the sound stage is more akin to RX-1 where it's atmospheric but not wide like EMX does.
This is just going from a quick listen and I didn't directly compare them to anything. Certainly the most value I've ever had given that I paid close to nothing for these :D

These are very smooth that is certain. I am already thinking of recabling, this cable can't be any good and the sound might go up.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #27,269 of 75,119
If you have more budget for MMCX cable and focus on functionality and appearance. Mee Audio Universal Balanced cable might be meet your life-style usage. Unfortunately, I don't know where you could bought and which store could ship to your countries. Though I see only MEE Audio earphones are sold in aliexpress. :frowning2:

Congrats that you already got AMP4. Enjoy listening. I am considering my next upgraded cable would be terminated as 4.4 mm plug. Also, 4.4 mm plug provides a bigger soldering point inside its barrel that is easier to solder 8-wire. YMMV.

@j4100 @DJ The Rocket : I've learnt Japanese and many kanji character are borrowed from Chinese, so I can guess what I should click and search typing on taobao store. :wink: Due to language barrier, I don't find tech specs comparison between normal vs pro. Using Google translate. Pro version is tri-band balaced sound-sig, good for R&B, Classical, piano, slow vocal-centric song, not suitable to heavy rock metal song. And Pro version comes together with a white silver-color cable.

I really wish I saw this earlier. A cable and 3 right-angled adapters, all for $100?! Now I want my $50 back from Effect Audio for their expensive 2.5mm to 3.5mm right-angle adapter... And I just purchased iBasso's adapters as well...

For those wondering: It's on Amazon

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #27,270 of 75,119
I really wish I saw this earlier. A cable and 3 right-angled adapters, all for $100?! Now I want my $50 back from Effect Audio for their expensive 2.5mm to 3.5mm right-angle adapter... And I just purchased iBasso's adapters as well...

For those wondering: It's on Amazon
MEE Audio MMCX 2.5mm Balanced Audio Cable with 3.5mm 4.4mm Stereo Adapter Set
http://s.aliexpress.com/IFNF7nqi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back