Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 13, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #27,106 of 75,573
@Nec3 here’s the link
My apologies, I should have mentioned my budget is somewhere in the <$30 area.

http://s.aliexpress.com/zquiMFRV Nicehck DSQM PK2S is around $18. If you EQ down the upper mids and treble in a curve it sounds really balanced and airy, but still so smooth. Highly recommend it without foams actually now that I have it in my ear lol

Jan 13, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #27,107 of 75,573
It sounds like you have very specific needs in a phone, good luck with that :)

Maybe you'd be best served with whatever cheap phone you can live with and spending the diff on an OTG DAC/amp that you can velcro to the case?

My main DAP is a used iPhone 4s I picked up for cheap, and I don't think it's possible to have better sound in a phone, certainly not significantly better. I like Apple's hardware, but their software makes operating the V20 seem rational in comparison, and their non-expandable memory policy makes Jim Gibbons seem like a generous and giving person.
That’s what I was told when I asked in the audiophile smartphone thread lol. IDK is asking for a natural, flat response and a detailed open stage too much. Seems like most of these phones are either great once you go above 50 ohms or have a ‘fun’ signature but thing thing is I like my sources natural/neutral (my definition of natural is slightly warmer than neutral) and then my earbuds can all sound as intended whether it’s linear and more reference like the shozy bk and clean and neutral and dynamic like the penon bs1 or even ‘fun’ like the cygnus.

Wish I could just have all these phones in hand to test for 5 minutes but with these being asian brands I’d be lucky to see any of them in stores for sale... even the v10/20/30.

Jan 13, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #27,109 of 75,573
Sean, I have a rooted Galaxy S4 and use Viper4Android and Neutron Music Player, I tweaked the settings to my liking and never felt the need for more, granted I only use earbuds and IEM´s with it.
Yes I heard very good things about V4A... I need an easily rooted phone now with good specs as Im willing to spend abit more for better audio as this will be my home and portable device.

Except I’d be using spotify as I don’t own much flac/high quality audio files. I enjoy using spotify a lot though.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #27,110 of 75,573
IDK is asking for a natural, flat response and a detailed open stage too much.

Not at all, but then I'd describe the V20/iPhone 4s as having achieved that. To improve from there I think you really need to go to external audio gears.

The V10 is a significant step backwards from the V20 sq, I've had both. The V10 is vastly superior than the V20 for OTG audio, but then the V10 is likely to bootloop and brick itself at any arbitrary time, so I wouldn't recommend one no matter how it sounds

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #27,111 of 75,573
Not at all, but then I'd describe the V20/iPhone 4s as having achieved that. To improve from there I think you really need to go to external audio gears.

The V10 is a significant step backwards from the V20 sq, I've had both. The V10 is vastly superior than the V20 for OTG audio, but then the V10 is likely to bootloop and brick itself at any arbitrary time, so I wouldn't recommend one no matter how it sounds
No I do like the V20’s balance but don’t you find it very cold and somewhat thin sounding in the name of pushing detail? It made my penon bs1 sound like water...

Maybe I just prefer a lush thick midrange over a lean clear one. For example my iphone 6s whilst lacking dynamics and overal detail has a noticeably better midrange body to it. There is authority behind the signature im just not getting from the V20 with extensive tweaking to the EQ.

Oh btw my v20 is non B&O tuned version, how about yours?

Jan 13, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #27,112 of 75,573
@Nec3 just EQed the pk2s in spotify quickly and it sounds wonderfully natural and clear without foams.

A27F4F2F-0710-4A15-BFFA-5E4EDC4B4289.jpeg

as you can see you really need to EQ down the midrange and treble but leave a slight raise at the end as this earbud is very polite in the treble.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #27,113 of 75,573
Why not get a newer iphone if you liked iphone 6?

No I do like the V20’s balance but don’t you find it very cold and somewhat thin sounding in the name of pushing detail? It made my penon bs1 sound like water...

Maybe I just prefer a lush thick midrange over a lean clear one. For example my iphone 6s whilst lacking dynamics and overal detail has a noticeably better midrange body to it. There is authority behind the signature im just not getting from the V20 with extensive tweaking to the EQ.

Oh btw my v20 is non B&O tuned version, how about yours?

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #27,114 of 75,573
It sounds like you have very specific needs in a phone, good luck with that :)

Maybe you'd be best served with whatever cheap phone you can live with and spending the diff on an OTG DAC/amp that you can velcro to the case?

My main DAP is a used iPhone 4s.

Oh, and what is this Snapdragon EQ you mention?

The 4s was incredibly impressive for the time, the 6s has a similar sound I doubt there’s much difference between the two (anything between them like 5/5s/6 is thinner and less dynamic imo)

But i think what I’m looking for is better separation and soundstage and a slightly more detailed sound than my 6s without using any external dacs/amps which i found to be a pain to use.

Some V20’s have snapdragon branded EQ when you try to go into EQ via spotify or google play music. It’s a crappy EQ for adjusting frequencies and it’s buggy but the bass boost and soundstage tuning are really effective and subtle. So I use it for that!

If you try to actually tune the Equaliser itself it messing with the audio output volume and sounds WORSE than having the EQ off.

But if you leave the EQ on ‘flat’ preset and just change the bass and surround boost you can get added bass and a wider stage.

Also just turning the EQ on seems to drastically change the tonality from cold to slightly warm... it’s all very odd with this LG v20 lol

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #27,115 of 75,573
Why not get a newer iphone if you liked iphone 6?
I liked the tonality of the 6s but found other aspects lacking. It’s good but not ‘midrange DAP’ good.

I really really do not want to purchase a separate DAP and phone as you can tell :)

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #27,116 of 75,573
really really do not want to purchase a separate DAP and phone as you can tell :)

Me neither... but I am the odd one. I have several DAPs and NO phone! LOL I do not wish to be annoyed when I am listening to music :)

...well... I do have a land line, a skype phone, an ipad , an android tablet, a laptop and a PC..all the necessities.

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #27,117 of 75,573
Me neither... but I am the odd one. I have several DAPs and NO phone! LOL I do not wish to be annoyed when I am listening to music :)

...well... I do have a land line, a skype phone, an ipad , an android tablet, a laptop and a PC..all the necessities.

I have a phone, another phone now (v20), a laptop, a desktop and other devices have come and gone lol.

I’m very fussy until I have something that I consider right for my need then I’ll be content with it for ages haha.

I’m not giving up my search for the perfect audio phone just yet!

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #27,118 of 75,573
I’m very fussy until I have something that I consider right for my need then I’ll be content with it for ages haha.

Before being corrupted by headfi, I used to find something that was right...and be content for ages...without continuing to look at other things.

None of this is normal...and we are all enablers. Most of us anyway.

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #27,119 of 75,573
Before being corrupted by headfi, I used to find something that was right...and be content for ages...without continuing to look at other things.

None of this is normal...and we are all enablers. Most of us anyway.

This woman speaks the truth^

It’s only a matter of time before we will need to create an ‘earbud support group’ to help those of us that have gone over the edge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back