Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 15, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #24,871 of 75,447
Good thing about the new monk foams I got is that they perfectly lie between the heigi/full and thin monks so they ended up being perfect as donut foams for my shozy stardust.

But I’ll still need to source a pack or two of the older versions because those are indispensable foams.

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #24,873 of 75,447
Good thing about the new monk foams I got is that they perfectly lie between the heigi/full and thin monks so they ended up being perfect as donut foams for my shozy stardust.

But I’ll still need to source a pack or two of the older versions because those are indispensable foams.

For some stuff, things should just stay the same (ie Monk foams, and shoes lol)

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #24,874 of 75,447
For some stuff, things should just stay the same (ie Monk foams, and shoes lol)
The new foams are awesome middle ground, but replacing the old foams is bad news. We need these + old thins in one pack I’d buy many of them.

Seriously the newer foams are really good if you find heigi full too thick and lack clarity, but monk thin makes your earbud too treble heavy.

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #24,875 of 75,447
I just received the Nicehck EBX earbuds today. Burning them in right now as I'm going to bed. All I can say is they are very well built, quite heavy so haven't decided how to wear them yet, down or over ear. First listen good bass but quite bright. That was before I fiddled with the fit then it balanced out. Will see how they perform after a good burn in.

IMG_20171115_203231[1].jpg

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #24,876 of 75,447
The OurArt Ti7 that I ordered from Penon Audio, arrived yesterday.

I listened for a while with the stock cable, connected to my iFi Micro iDSD (XBass=On; 3D HolographicSound=On), streaming audio from my Roku 4, and they sounded good and clear, with a bit of a Midrange & Treble emphasis.

Then I swapped out the Donut Foams for Hiegi Full Foams, connected the Ti7 to my Impact Audio Cables 2.5mm TRRS > MMCX cable, and hooked them to the Balanced output of my Onkyo DP-X1B (EQ=Off; Viper4Android=ON for Spatial & Bass enhancement).
Since the Ti7 don't have a strong Bass impact, they would probably benefit from a warm source or amp, like my Walnut F1.

Still awaiting the MusicMaker ToneKing TO200 that I ordered from NiceHCK Audio.

One thing I did find out, is that the MMCX connectors used on the VE Espresso 2.5mm TRRS > MMCX cable, will not plug in far enough for the GND ring to engage on the Ti7 earbuds.
I had ordered several types of MMCX connectors from AliExpress, so I've replaced the stock connectors with some that have a little bit longer plug assembly, which latches securely - but they seem to have a slightly loose GND ring, causing intermittent audio dropouts.

The stock cable (3.5mm TRS > MMCX) that came with the Ti7, required that I use the scissors on my pocket knife, to pry the MMCX connectors off of the earbuds. Pulling with my fingers and fingernails, was just beginning to loosen the rubber insulation on the MMCX plugs. I was concerned that I was going to destroy a plug, or pull the MMCX socket out of the earbud housing.

The much more expensive ($10 each) MMCX connectors from Eidolic, which are used on my Impact Audio Cable, work just fine. So, i may order a couple of sets of those, to use on my other cables.

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #24,877 of 75,447
After plugging my Shozy BKs into my M-DAC, I realise I have 2 problems. First is easy. The cheapo 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter I have is crap (bought in UK) and I need a new one. 2nd problem is the cable is too short :beyersmile:

Anyone use extension cables for buds? Drawbacks? My chair at the pc is just too far from the M-DAC and never the twain shall meet. I usually use my DT150s.

I did notice mention of an Erqu bud with a 2m cable in this thread last year, but see that is no longer available.

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #24,878 of 75,447
After plugging my Shozy BKs into my M-DAC, I realise I have 2 problems. First is easy. The cheapo 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter I have is crap (bought in UK) and I need a new one. 2nd problem is the cable is too short :beyersmile:

Anyone use extension cables for buds? Drawbacks? My chair at the pc is just too far from the M-DAC and never the twain shall meet. I usually use my DT150s.

I did notice mention of an Erqu bud with a 2m cable in this thread last year, but see that is no longer available.
1) Cables change the sound. Extension cables are cables, so they change or at least, influence sound as well. In Shozy cable itself is very expensive - probably around 120$. This is why some users says that graphene mx 760 sounds very very similar to Shozy stardust and frequency graphes almost matches. Drivers could be the same. So if you use cheap extention cable, you can kill the joy or reduce its fullness.
2) I have heard from different sellers and audiophiles in Russian world and English, that adapters i.e. 3.5-6.3mm plug do not influence sound at all, if there is no cables.
3) So probably, better to put your m-dac closer to you so that the cable's length will be enough)
imho

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #24,879 of 75,447

I think you're talking about Erqu EQ100. I sold my pair. The cable is about 20-30 cm longer than regular cables, so it must be around 150 cm instead of around 120...

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #24,880 of 75,447
1) Cables change the sound. Extension cables are cables, so they change or at least, influence sound as well. In Shozy cable itself is very expensive - probably around 120$. This is why some users says that graphene mx 760 sounds very very similar to Shozy stardust and frequency graphes almost matches. Drivers could be the same. So if you use cheap extention cable, you can kill the joy or reduce its fullness.
2) I have heard from different sellers and audiophiles in Russian world and English, that adapters i.e. 3.5-6.3mm plug do not influence sound at all, if there is no cables.
3) So probably, better to put your m-dac closer to you so that the cable's length will be enough)
imho

Agreed to all.

Nov 16, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #24,881 of 75,447
To be honest, I don't think that a 0,5 or 1,0 meter cable changes sound.
That's literally no distance for a signal and the "technology" (or rather material) in such cables is not a world changer; There are inferior cheap cables ofc, but transporting an audio signal over such short distance it not a hard task to achieve.

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #24,883 of 75,447
imho
I doubt the drivers are the same, if shozy are saying these things have limited stock and cannot meet demand even at a cool $150 per bud, I cannot see the diy graphene being able to sell in such quantity at $20.

Unless of course shozy did not buy up all the drivers... But I really doubt it’s the exact same driver, plus graphs aren’t everything in relation to how the earbud sounds, butI guess I’ll find out when i get my graphene and compare it to my BK. Although if your point is graph’s show the driver alone COULD be the same then I guess graph’s make it plausible. I’ll compare soon anyway :)

Also unless that cable is changing the impendance drastically I’m probably in the ‘cables don’t make a noticeable difference’ camp... for now. Unless of course said cable is absolutely rubbish/faulty and the signal is being distrupted somehow.

Maybe I’m wrong though, i’ll have to wait until I receive a cheapo $5 cable for my masya and compare it to the stock ‘hifi’ branded masya cable.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #24,884 of 75,447
I found the perfect solution for my pk2 mod.

Sugru!
6A166A9B-F4CC-46E0-BABB-30D192881D89.jpeg 5BD37EB8-AA0C-4DAE-825B-617596CB84AD.jpeg

As you can see I semi blocked the top vent, left 3 opening ports. Centre, Left and Right.

(Don’t mind the bottom piece I filled, I drilled a vent too many and had to block it :D )

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #24,885 of 75,447

I recently built a couple of 4-ft extension cables, with PAPRI 8-Strand Trenzado Teflon OCC Copper Wire, to use at home.

The first is a 2.5mm TRRS Plug to 2.5mm TRRS Jack (shown here before the final assembly of the plug shell).

DSC-171025-071310.jpg

The second is a 3.5mm TRS Plug to 3.5mm TRS Jack.

DSC-171103-140749.jpg

They're assembled using quality plugs & jacks, and work well to extend my earbud & earphone cables.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back