Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 15, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #24,856 of 75,383
I'll need a portable solution, as most of my listening will be when away from home.

At home, I run my pc through my M-DAC with aftermarket power supply via either headphones or out through my Densen Beat power amp and into Shahinian Arc speakers.

You have a lovely audio equipment man. I adore that you have a speaker setup at home. I suppose you meant Audiolab M-Dac. That is one great dac/amp.

I wish I'm a man of great wisdom but if I could suggest staying away from more than 300 ohm impedance earbuds would be more fitting as your X5 3rd gen could drive them all well and if you want to get those 600 ohm buds, your M-dac is ready to serve the purpose at home only ( other than your hp). IMHO I think most daps nowadays have no problem driving earbuds up to 300ohm alone without needing to stack with amps which can be a bit bulky for portable purpose. Sorry man if you find my alternative as not helping. Cheers

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #24,858 of 75,383
You have a lovely audio equipment man. I adore that you have a speaker setup at home. I suppose you meant Audiolab M-Dac. That is one great dac/amp.

I wish I'm a man of great wisdom but if I could suggest staying away from more than 300 ohm impedance earbuds would be more fitting as your X5 3rd gen could drive them all well and if you want to get those 600 ohm buds, your M-dac is ready to serve the purpose at home only ( other than your hp). IMHO I think most daps nowadays have no problem driving earbuds up to 300ohm alone without needing to stack with amps which can be a bit bulky for portable purpose. Sorry man if you find my alternative as not helping. Cheers

I got the M-DAC a year ago from someone who needed the cash! The Arcs are fantastic. They are well over 15 years old, since I could never afford the £6.5k for a new pair.

FYI - it's an X5ii 2nd gen I have. No, it's good advice, I just have the upgrade bug. I bought the Trinity Master earlier this year, and after struggling with getting any tips to fit my ears properly (even large JVC spiral dots only work on one ear) , plus general discomfort wearing them, I found this thread and started reading it a month or so ago and bought the three buds in my sig. I then went back a couple of 100 pages and got the bug reading all the posts, so splurged on 11.11. I then went back to early 2016 (page 300-odd) and I'm working my way through the posts. Some are quite funny or useful and I keep getting tempted to like or reply to these old posts, forgetting it's not the latest page I'm on! :)

I'm hoping to calm down, though will be aiming for an endgame bud eventually. I'm currently in the "get an amp or amp/dac for the buds" mode - mainly as I spend a bit of time away from home, hence the requirement for a portable unit. I liked the write ups on the seahf 650 and the TY variant, so don't want to rule them out because I can't power them (or other such beasts).

There are quite a few guys on this thread who have owned these high impedance buds and was hoping to find out what portable amps they used, as not many folks bother with a gear sig.

Thanks again - and to any others who might offer amp advice. This is a great thread. Almost a shame there isn't a sub-forum for buds, as individual buds could have their own thread to save sifting through this behemoth. :)

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #24,859 of 75,383

I'm hoping to calm down, though will be aiming for an endgame bud eventually. I'm currently in the "get an amp or amp/dac for the buds" mode - mainly as I spend a bit of time away from home, hence the requirement for a portable unit. I liked the write ups on the seahf 650 and the TY variant, so don't want to rule them out because I can't power them (or other such beasts).

There are quite a few guys on this thread who have owned these high impedance buds and was hoping to find out what portable amps they used, as not many folks bother with a gear sig.

Thanks again - and to any others who might offer amp advice. This is a great thread. Almost a shame there isn't a sub-forum for buds, as individual buds could have their own thread to save sifting through this behemoth. :)

You should't worry too much about the amping part of earbuds. All of the high impedance buds I know of are really efficient. And the 650 ohm buds are only marginally harder to drive than the 300 ohm ones. The only pair of buds I have, that require some heavy duty amping to sound good are the VE Zen 2.0. I never use them with any other amp than the VE RA 2.0.

A dirt cheap Walnut will be powerful enough to drive any pair of buds (Zen 2.0 included, just will not sound that good).

My favorite stack is the XDuoo X3 / JAZZ R7.0 combo. I actually have two of those.
One stock firmware XDuoo X3 paired with a stock opamp JAZZ R7.0 combo and one Rockboxed XDuoo X3 paired with a Burson V5i-D opamp JAZZ R7.0.

Another sweet combo is the XDuoo X10T with digital in to my XDuoo XD-05 (with Burson V5i-D). Only problem is that the X10T don't do gapless and the XD-05 don't work in high gain with the Burson opamp. But then I don't need high gain on the that combo to properly drive any of my buds (Zen 2.0 excluded)...

None of the equipment above are particularly expensive, and can be found on various shopping sites with large discounts every now and then.

Btw, I list all my stuff in the profile page. It would be silly to put it all in the signature :wink:

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #24,860 of 75,383
Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #24,861 of 75,383
Please, guys, take a look at my thread - I created it specifically for the amps to drive high ohm earbuds!
Please, share your impressions and thoughts there - what matches what etc...

I'm asking for your advice there as well!
Please link the thread and I am sure people will take a look and participate.

Nov 15, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #24,863 of 75,383
Although I tried variously as an earpiece of Moondrop Liebesleid, in the sense that the earpiece attached to Samsung R130 does not fall out of my ear, it is the most suitable so far ,,,
The sound quality is not bad either.

Seems like the liebesleids fit isn't great for a 200$+ earbud you've been trying all sorts of methods :/

Nov 15, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #24,864 of 75,383
You should't worry too much about the amping part of earbuds. All of the high impedance buds I know of are really efficient. And the 650 ohm buds are only marginally harder to drive than the 300 ohm ones. The only pair of buds I have, that require some heavy duty amping to sound good are the VE Zen 2.0. I never use them with any other amp than the VE RA 2.0.

That might put my mind at rest and let me get on with things. Thanks for the recommendations.

Btw, I list all my stuff in the profile page. It would be silly to put it all in the signature :wink:
Naturally :wink:

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

PS. Have you found your endgame bud yet?

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #24,865 of 75,383
Although I tried variously as an earpiece of Moondrop Liebesleid, in the sense that the earpiece attached to Samsung R130 does not fall out of my ear, it is the most suitable so far ,,,
The sound quality is not bad either.

have you tried the rubber ring and foam combo, or the earhooks (with the hooks cut off) and foam combo?

using the liebesleid with that samsung R130 silicon... won't it compromise the bass and soundstage? the liebesleid is already bass shy as it is, I'm curious how it would sound with that silicon

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #24,866 of 75,383
have you tried the rubber ring and foam combo, or the earhooks (with the hooks cut off) and foam combo?

using the liebesleid with that samsung R130 silicon... won't it compromise the bass and soundstage? the liebesleid is already bass shy as it is, I'm curious how it would sound with that silicon

It may be only a symptom of my ear, but I could not fix it with RubberRing.
I did not try EarHook because I do not like it.

I did not feel the bass reduction or the sound stage deteriorated by the Samsung R130 SiliconPad (about $ 5, so if you get a chance, try it out).
I feel like listening to Liebesleid half an InnerEar.
By fixing the liebesleid with the SiliconPad to my ears, I am able to walk around along with listening to music.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #24,867 of 75,383
Another cheapie but anyone wanna try the Memt X6:
MEMT-X6-Super-Bass-Earphones-Professional-Monitoring-Headset-HIFI-DJ-Earbuds-Universal-auriculares-For-iPhone-Phone.jpg

61qlDWjmjcL.jpg

And more pricey NiceHCK EBX:
2017-New-NICEHCK-EBX-Ear-Hook-Earbud-HIFI-Metal-Industrial-Design-Earphone-14-8mm-Dynamic-Driver.jpg_640x640.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #24,868 of 75,383
Another cheapie but anyone wanna try the Memt X6:

Only if they look black like this!:

upload_2017-11-15_17-47-4.jpeg

They look nice actually, but I think I'll let someone else be the guinea pig :)

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #24,870 of 75,383
Only if they look black like this!:

They look nice actually, but I think I'll let someone else be the guinea pig :)
Dat grille :O

Looks like a speciality earbud grille and very open for a single driver.

Interesting though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back