Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 8, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #24,558 of 75,342
Thanks. Already read those reviews. Just need more impressions to convince me since this is a blind buy.
What are you looking for sound wise? Also what’s your source?

I got the bk yesterday and love it. Have you heard the shozy Cygnus? It’s basically a cygnus upgrade.

Nov 8, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #24,559 of 75,342
What are you looking for sound wise? Also what’s your source?

I got the bk yesterday and love it. Have you heard the shozy Cygnus? It’s basically a cygnus upgrade.
Aune m1s. I'm gonna get the 2.5mm version of bk.

Neutral. Bass=quality vs quanity. More forward mids. Not piercing highs.

I have read that bk is mid forward?

I currently have the asura 2.0 3.5mm, ty hi z 32 2.5mm and monk espresso 2.5mm.

My pick is the ty hi z 32 over the monk espresso on balanced.

Just want an upgrade from ty hi z 32 with more forward mids and more sound stage around 150$. And can be ordered from penon.

I'm also open for other earbuds suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #24,560 of 75,342
Aune m1s. I'm gonna get the 2.5mm version of bk.

Neutral. Bass=quality vs quanity. More forward mids. Not piercing highs.

I have read that bk is mid forward?

I currently have the asura 2.0 3.5mm, ty hi z 32 2.5mm and monk espresso 2.5mm.

My pick is the ty hi z 32 over the monk espresso on balanced.

Just want an upgrade from ty hi z 32 with more forward mids and more sound stage. And can be ordered from penon.

I'm also open for other earbuds suggestions.

Thanks
BK is forward and thick lush mids. It’s a touch warm rather than neutral but not overly dark or anything. Very clean and vocals sound extremely high resolution for such a thick full vocal presentation.

Bass has great texture and extends reletively low. Modest mid bass thump. More wholly than quick bass sound but doesn’t get muddy thanks to its amazing resolution and remains crisp enough.

High’s extend nicely, but usually not peaky or sibilant Again, the detail is excellent here.

Soundstage is medium-large not massive but large enough to allow some space and separation on most tracks. Struggles with congestion on something like heavy metal but i think that’s down to its thick analog sounding bass/mids.

I’d pair with a clean, bright source that doesn’t bass boost. Anything overly warm or bass will add bloat to the already full sounding low end.

My only complaint is that the sound can be occasionally ‘rough’ because the resolution is so high. This earbud is mostly smooth but you get such detail that sometimes things don’t always smooth out perfectly. Better source probably handle this better than my iphone 6s though.

This earbud is amazing for rock, acoustic and vocals. Not as amazing for metal, edm.

So if your source is clean, neutral-bright and balanced. This earbud should be amazing I think. It has the shozy house signature which I loved in the Cygnus and added a noticeable amount of resolution, refinement, fuller mids and extended highs.

Altough the fuller mids can sometimes lead to abit of bloat/congestion but again source is probably the issue here, not the earbuds themselves.

Oh and they drive super easy.

EDIT: actually they can be slightly sibilant (I’m using monk thin foam) on a rare occasion whereas cygnus avoids this issue being more rolled off. It’s the price paid for extended highs I guess. It’s nothing drastic especially if you use thicker foams I feel.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #24,561 of 75,342
BK is forward and thick lush mids. It’s a touch warm rather than neutral but not overly dark or anything. Very clean and vocals sound extremely high resolution for such a thick full vocal presentation.

Bass has great texture and extends reletively low. Modest mid bass thump. More wholly than quick bass sound but doesn’t get muddy thanks to its amazing resolution and remains crisp enough.

High’s extend nicely, but never peaky or sibilant. Again, the detail is excellent here.

Soundstage is medium-large not massive but large enough to allow some space and separation on most tracks. Struggles with congestion on something like heavy metal but i think that’s down to its thick analog sounding bass/mids.

I’d pair with a clean, bright source that doesn’t bass boost. Anything overly warm or bass will add bloat to the already full sounding low end.

My only complaint is that the sound can be occasionally ‘rough’ because the resolution is so high. This earbud is mostly smooth but you get such detail that sometimes things don’t always smooth out perfectly. Better source probably handle this better than my iphone 6s though.

This earbud is amazing for rock, acoustic and vocals. Not as amazing for metal, edm.

So if your source is clean, neutral-bright and balanced. This earbud should be amazing I think. It has the shozy house signature which I loved in the Cygnus and added a noticeable amount of resolution, refinement, fuller mids and extended highs.

Altough the fuller mids can sometimes lead to abit of bloat/congestion but again source is probably the issue here, not the earbuds themselves.

Oh and they drive super easy.
My aune m1s is kinda neutral to my ears. I just could hope that bk will pair well with it.

I'm also planning upgrade my dap into one of Sony's signature but I guess from what you said it will not pair well with warmish source.

Thanks! God bless!

Nov 8, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #24,562 of 75,342
My aune m1s is kinda neutral to my ears. I just could hope that bk will pair well with it.

I'm also planning upgrade my dap into one of Sony's signature but I guess from what you said it will not pair well with warmish source.

Thanks! God bless!
I don’t think it will pair with a warm source being so thick and full sounding already. But from what you say it should work with your source. Just be aware that the bk is extremely revealing of detail so you need high quality audio to make it work.

If you’re looking for an earbud to pair with a warm analog sounding source try the rose masya. It’s incredibly smooth, bright and more extended than shozy bk. Also has bigger soundstage slightly but less resolution slightly too.

If your aune m1 is neutral and smooth that would be perfect. BK needs some help smooth out it’s ultra detailed sound.

For a less extended treble, more neutral mids that are slightly less forward and thick, slightly more mid bass bump. Look at the cygnus. It’s admittedly less high resolution but it’s still got great detail and a fantastic sound signature that never gets fatiguing.

Cygnus pairs better with different sources due to its slightly thinner sound overall. Source doesn’t need to be as smooth because of roll off and lower res too which gives the illusion of a smoother sound because it’s not catching every detail like the bk is, atleast to my ears.

Technically the bk is superior though and better audio gear than my phone/laptop would pick that up easily. Plus they sound very similar overall in regards to the shozy house sound signature.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #24,564 of 75,342
I don’t think it will pair with a warm source being so thick and full sounding already. But from what you say it should work with your source. Just be aware that the bk is extremely revealing of detail so you need high quality audio to make it work.

If you’re looking for an earbud to pair with a warm analog sounding source try the rose masya. It’s incredibly smooth, bright and more extended than shozy bk. Also has bigger soundstage slightly but less resolution slightly too.

If your aune m1 is neutral and smooth that would be perfect. BK needs some help smooth out it’s ultra detailed sound.

For a less extended treble, more neutral mids that are slightly less forward and thick, slightly more mid bass bump. Look at the cygnus. It’s admittedly less high resolution but it’s still got great detail and a fantastic sound signature that never gets fatiguing.

Cygnus pairs better with neutral source or slightly warm due to its slightly thinner sound overall. Source doesn’t need to be as smooth because of roll off and lower res too which gives the illusion of a smoother sound because it’s not catching every detail like the bk is, atleast to my ears.
Don't like the white cable of cygnus from what I read it will oxidate after a few months.

The rose mojito is also on my list but the price difference is really big from the bk since I'm also saving for a dap.

Kinda afraid if I choose cygnus, my ears might get the itch to get its big brother bk.

Thanks for the help. Appreciated!

Nov 8, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #24,565 of 75,342
Don't like the white cable of cygnus from what I read it will oxidate after a few months.

The rose mojito is also on my list but the price difference is really big from the bk since I'm also saving for a dap.

Kinda afraid if I choose cygnus, my ears might get the itch to get its big brother bk.

Ah I understand, yes my cygnus the special green cable version now :wink:

I’d say go for the BK with your current source or the masya if you decide to buy a warmer bassier one.

Remember the BK is a more upfront sound with a medium soundstage and Masya is only upfront in vocals and bigger soundstage overall. Bk is full, detailed, richly textured and extended with good balance.

Masya is thinner, more delicate/sweet sound but also detailed, brighter and also extended with good balance (very slightly mid emphasised).

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #24,566 of 75,342

Get the shozy stardust and the shozy alien plus dap as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back