Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 4, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #24,394 of 75,149
Does someone have a link or care to explain to me this whole impedance thing, whats the point of having for example the same headphone the same headphone one in 64 and one in 150, whats the advantage and how to know if i will be able to drive the higher impedance version.

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #24,395 of 75,149
If you have a capable amp it can drive various earbuds with different ohms. The higher you go the more impressive most buds become as they have a fuller range. High ohm earbuds like 600 ohm need an amp and would not be driven properly from a phone or less powerful dap

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #24,396 of 75,149
High impedance usually needs more voltage swing to drive the load/transducer. Rule of thumb suggested output impedance of your amplifier must be around 1/8 of your load impedance. Unnecessary to get the number accurate. As long as it get closer the better. Usually, the high impedance transducer will associate with scalability, better black background, larger overall sound due to amplification factor. Its more fun to play with if you have OTL tube amp or balanced/differential output amplifier.

Low impedance however should be less hustle to work with. Any players, phones or any solid state amplifier should be no problem. However, it will be more sensitive to noise floor if your source is not up to snuff. Even worse, if your transducer is revealing in nature. But overall, more often it could get to work than high impedance. Scalability is lesser compared to high impedance. In certain cases, you need to watch out for your source rather than amplification if you are not satisfy with what you hear.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #24,397 of 75,149
this my earbud bluetooth setup using the Svara L:

the thing to consider when using bluetooth, even though you might lose some quality to the sound, you gain a lot in comfort and freedom of mobility. for a bonus it also add mic for calls to the earbuds.
i personally haven't done critical a/b testing between using Bluetooth or wired, but to me the differences (if there's any) are minor enough that i don't really notice them or bothering me

Hi chinmie. I now see that the HB1 wireless cable is intended to be used "over ears" and that the cable near the connectors is shaped. Can the cable instead be worn "down"? That would seem to be best for earbuds I think.

Nov 4, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #24,398 of 75,149
Was reading the iFi Audio Nano iDSD Black Label thread. This might be the very thing to partner my dap and power some high impedance buds I'm looking at.

However, it appears to have a 3.5mm balanced output as well as se. Anyone on here using 3.5mm balanced buds?

Sorely tempted to order one anyway.

Nov 4, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #24,399 of 75,149
@j4100 : I suggest you take an audition & comparison on both iFi Audio .. and the new FiiO Q5ii, or FiiO Q1ii since FiiO has 2.5mm balanced headphone output which is more popular than 3.5mm BL.

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #24,401 of 75,149
My emx500s arrived today. Wow. These are incredible for the price paid. Hip hop sounds awesome on them

Nov 4, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #24,402 of 75,149
Even some doom metal sounds awesome

Nov 4, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #24,404 of 75,149
They were diy ones with a white cable. Sound really good. Might get another as back up in case these break

Users who are viewing this thread

Back