Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 15, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #23,761 of 75,716
After splashing cash on IEMs, I have finally decided they are not for me, as I cannot get large enough tips to keep them in my ears, plus I don't really like the feel. So it's back to earbuds. I bought some Monks but really need something better. I was reading up on the Ty Hi-Z series, in particular, the 650, but also the Shozy BK. Is there anything else I should consider? I'll point out that I really don't want to be spending a lot on amplification. I do have a FiiO A3 though and the source is the FiiO X5ii.

Consider the Graphenes for <$30. Quite a nice upgrade to the Monk+'s imo. And this reviewer compares them favorably to the Shozy BK:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nicehck-diy-graphene.22565/reviews

Oct 15, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #23,762 of 75,716
I have never bought a pair of IEMs, but I've gotten a few together with MP3 players that I've bought. It's always been earbuds for me, though. A few years ago the earbud world was pretty mcuh dead and not many Head fiers cared about them, but the last 2-3 years has brought an earbud renaissance from mainly Chinese makers but also small Thai and Indonesian companies.

I was on the IEM crazy train for a few years. Ultimately not for me: flaired up tinnitus, made my ears uncomfortable, and I didn't like the idea of the ears not being able to breath at all. Thanks to VE (and their Zens and Monks etc), earbuds were discovered, and now it's "Buds FTW!".

Oct 15, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #23,763 of 75,716
Thanks darkrude, I emailed Jim again and he asked me if I would like a new unit and that he´d get back to me on Monday, of course I said yes so fingers crossed :fingers_crossed:

Does that mean you have to send the old one back?
I would like to know this as well. How's the return process?

I have eb200 that cracking a little on deep bass but didn't really bother me.

Do keep update. Just want to prepare for future reference.

Oct 15, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #23,765 of 75,716
What's your preferred sound signature?

I guess I would just prefer the music to sound the way the artist intended. I generally listen to psychedelic rock, drone, experimental and a bit of doom and stoner.

I don't mind getting a better amp than the A3 if I need to, but when I was looking into the VE Zen, I was put off by the "Get the black edition" stuff. I don't want to spend $400 on ear buds, only to have to spend nearly same again on an amp.

Oct 15, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #23,766 of 75,716
I guess I would just prefer the music to sound the way the artist intended. I generally listen to psychedelic rock, drone, experimental and a bit of doom and stoner.

I don't mind getting a better amp than the A3 if I need to, but when I was looking into the VE Zen, I was put off by the "Get the black edition" stuff. I don't want to spend $400 on ear buds, only to have to spend nearly same again on an amp.
standard ve zen is a good earbuds. no need to pay for black/white editions if you don't want to :wink:

Oct 15, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #23,767 of 75,716
It you want to go for TOTL (low impedance) earbuds, Shozy Stardust (around $165) or Cypherus CampFred2 ($199 excluding shipping from Indonesia) would be a good bet.

You could always check out the lower price brackets first like the recommended DIY MX760 Graphene earbud. Or (NiceNHK) DIY PK2 (similar to Shozy Stardust). There's a lot of great sub $100 earbuds, but fortunately the best earbuds available usually cost around $150-200. Coming from IEMs that must feel like mid tier prices...

Edit: I would personally not recommend VE Zen 2 as it adds coloring to the music. Zen 2 is very warm sounding. It works with some music but it's not good if you aim for a more neutral sound...

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #23,768 of 75,716

Yeah, I don't think you should start off that high. Go in incremental steps of price.
I set up a survey recently, and here are the results- https://goo.gl/gt1THD
Don't take the ratings too seriously though.

Oct 15, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #23,769 of 75,716

Yeah, I don't think you should start off that high. Go in incremental steps of price.
I set up a survey recently, and here are the results- https://goo.gl/gt1THD
Don't take the ratings too seriously though.

I agree with thelonius97. Sure, if you are wanting to go for the jump, go TOTL bud now (I only have experience with the VE Zens 1&2, and they are great btw). Or else get for example the wonderful Graphenes for a fraction of the price (which also don't require a powerful amp to sound great), and then do the TOTL upgrade later if still desired.

Oct 15, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #23,770 of 75,716
The DQSM Z&W420 Earbud:

www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-New-DQSM-Z-W420-Earbud-In-Ear-Earphone-Flat-Head-Plug-Earplugs-Headset-HIFI-Earphone/32831073020.html

Bling, in either silver or gold. I went for the gold.

I was not sure what to expect before the DQSM Z&W420 arrived. I can tell you I was not under the impression they would be this good.

First, the build quality is very nice. The gold paint is flawless and looks lovely in person. The cable is satisfying in the hand, though can tangle a bit and there is a touch of microphonics. The 3.5mm plug is quite superb with its materials and premium weight.

Sound signature is ever so slightly V shaped. Mids still hold their value and vocals are carefully composed. Lows are present and accurate, with equal amounts of mid and sub bass. Highs are detailed and borderline bright at times. Soundstage is wide, yet controlled. I would say the overall sound playback is between fun and analytical.

Very strange. Those look exactly like my **** Z&W. I went for the gold as well. Blends nicely with skin tones when worn. I am not usually a blingy person but I like these. I love how the shell matches the cable color. My only problem is the fit. These, my Monks and my Boarseman MX98 all have the same shell and it sits in my ear as though it is about to fall off a ledge... sort of. So, I have been collectlng a small assortment of buds with smaller better fitting shells (for me), I have finished collecting and now it is time to just enjoy them all. I do wish these fit me better.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...lgo_pvid=16641a06-06e9-441e-bec9-dce858e19953

The price is also the same and the way you describe the sound seems like what I heard as well... I am just not very good at describing sound. I wonder what the difference is, if any. Different drivers maybe? Only two shops on ali have this one listed and one of those is the shop we are not allowed to name. The link above is from the other one but they say they are out of the gold. I would call it more of a copper color. It is not a yellow gold at all.

Now do I listen to my music with these tonight or do I listen with the buds that arrived yesterday and have been burning in.... hmmmm....

R0012770.JPG
R0012773.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #23,771 of 75,716
As much as I hear the graphenes suggested, I should have bought them by now for my collection. I think I remember OOS talk, so is there a shop with stock still?

Oct 15, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #23,772 of 75,716
is there a good bassy (prefer V shaped signature) earbuds? :)

like beyerdynamic in world of full size cans.
Though I do not know much about beyerdynamic, I recommend you "TY (Hi-Z) HP-150s" as earbuds which has bassy V shaped signature from my less number collection of earbuds.:ksc75smile:

Edit:
if you like balanced version, you can choice it.:gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #23,773 of 75,716
Though I do not know much about beyerdynamic, I recommend you "TY (Hi-Z) HP-150s" as earbuds which has bassy V shaped signature from my less number collection of earbuds.:ksc75smile:

A cheaper suggestion than 150S would start with Vido, then after that assuming the tuning is similar the Svara-L, perhaps the Edimun V3 Rhodium for a somewhat more balanced sound, followed by Zen 1 if you can find it and don't mind used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back