Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 26, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #22,412 of 75,573
After more listening sessions, to me the Monk+ is forward compared to the RX-1(by forward I mean the lower treble region is greater). I think perhaps you guys mean by compressed on the RX-1 meaning the dynamics or the depth. After a bit of listen I notice that the Monk+ is more dynamic. Not only that, Monk has much tighter sound, but also more bolder sounding. I hear more of the upper mids, lower treble transition area stronger on the Monk+. Due to the tightness in sound, Monk+ is definately clearer sounding that the RX-1. I don't think I've ever heard earbuds so tight sounding yet. To me, the Monk+ is bolder and brighter.

I can say Monk+ definately better sounding than some $70-$100 iems I've tried recently. They were dynamic drivers as well, but it's interesting how tight the sound coming of the Monk+ is. Given it's characteristic being similar to headphones/speakers that are considered neutral, I would consider Monk+ in that domain as well.

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #22,413 of 75,573
RX-1 is clearly the superior iem than the Monk+. Monk+'s treble doesn't extend as much and bolder and forward lower treble is not what I look for. It provides less depth, less realism.

Why do I like the RX-1? I really thrives on live music performances. It sounds convincingly realistic to me, whereas the Monk+ sound signature has the artificialness.

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #22,415 of 75,573
I prefer Monk+ Sound over RX-1. By the way RX-1s is just mic version with same tuning as RX-1, isn't it?

Aug 27, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #22,416 of 75,573
RX-1 is clearly the superior iem than the Monk+. Monk+'s treble doesn't extend as much and bolder and forward lower treble is not what I look for. It provides less depth, less realism.

Why do I like the RX-1? I really thrives on live music performances. It sounds convincingly realistic to me, whereas the Monk+ sound signature has the artificialness.

Thanks for your feedback. It's well detailed and I'm happy to see a new converted of earbuds!! Feel free to dig, get the "classics", look for the unknown...
Don't want to push you into this but I would be super curious to read your impressions with mid to up tier models.

Aug 27, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #22,417 of 75,573
Aug 27, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #22,418 of 75,573
hi im looking on Aliexpress for the Rose Masya original black/gold version as it is apparently better SQ than the newer version?

I don't need the wood version or carbon fibre version just the better black gold original version is ideal.

is this the one i'm looking for https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32787745508.html?spm=a2g0n.search-cache.0.0.7f25570fQbyz37

Has anyone bought this on Aliexpress from that seller?

I've never read anything to suggest there was a difference between the standard or carbon version.

Aug 27, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #22,421 of 75,573
I've never read anything to suggest there was a difference between the standard or carbon version.
i think there's 2 versions of non carbon rose/non wood rose.

One with normal front cover and one with a new style front cover?

I read on this forum that there was a sound difference, can anyone confirm that?

Aug 27, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #22,422 of 75,573
btw, Masya Carbon has a heavier housing and tonal balance is biased towards the lower frequencies, unlike the usual version
Any chance you've tested the Toneking Tomahawk? how is the tone compared to Masya?

I'm looking for something slightly warmer/fuller than tomahawk but still fairly neutral overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back