Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 26, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #22,396 of 75,573
I got the Monk+ today. I feel like I was spoiled by the RX-1. RX-1 has a better refined overall sound. RX-1 does better in sound stage(sounds open), and bass, more definition in the mids and highs sounds more extended.

Monk+ does a good job, but RX-1 trumps it. I say if going cheap Monk+ is good enough, but pay more with RX-1, and you'd get a better experience. I don't think RX-1 is really pricey either given it being an over-achiever.

I think the larger speakers on the RX-1 has benefits to sound stage and the bass at least. So, not all that impressed with the Monk+ after having RX-1 for awhile. RX-1 is seemingly a gem.

I assumed earbuds general sound as open as RX-1, but comparing to the Monk+, RX-1 seems unusually more open sounding than at least Monk+ level.

Didn't hear Monks, but they have been replaced by better sounding value earbuds as far as I can tell by other people's reviews/comparisons.
Monk has a standard MX shell and driver size - 15.4mm, while RX-1 has a slightly smaller driver at 14.3mm. At this ultra low price, Vido has a better sound stage and bass than RX-1, but RX-1 fills the stage better and in a more natural way. Bass is also of slightly greater quality on RX-1. High end extension is better on Vidos but again, quality suffers a bit in comparison to Auglamour.
So, up to this point, these 2 would be comparable in the same price range - having to decide between quantity and quality in many ways, but then you add the sublime mids of the RX-1 and overall build quality, design, accessories, better fit for most people and you suddenly realize that RX-1 is absolutely worth it. Also, I was comparing them to the ultra budget king in many people's eyes and I would even say that RX-1 offers even better value, except that Vidos are better all rounders because of that bass and high end quantity.
RX-1 can really impress sometimes, creating big out of this world sound akin to much more expensive open back full size headphones, and I could never get to this stage of being impressed with Vidos.

Aug 26, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #22,397 of 75,573
That's interesting Monk+ larger drivers as I assumed RX-1 would be larger due to the larger fit. Vido sounds like a worthy contender I would like to try.

RX-1's stage seems convincing, pretty realistic sounding. There is some air the sound I can feel.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #22,398 of 75,573
Competitors.. old vs new
P70826-202945-001.jpg

Aug 26, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #22,399 of 75,573
All the rave about RX-1 these couple of days made me open my drawer and pull out the sleeping earbud once again.

From Z1 LO to o2 amp on low gain, loose (old) VE foam ( because old used VE foam really brings out better bass than new and tight foam)

Great great mids. Open sounding and beautiful bass response. If vocals and mids are the star of the song and RX-1 will definitely shine.

Hmm does it always have this open / bigger stage? I remember RX-1 stage a bit compressed?

However it also reminds me why i stash away Rx-1. Lack of kick and bite / attack.

Out of curiosity i paired it with my redmi note 3 pro as source to O2 amp. Surprisingly the void (kick / attack) somehow being filled? TBH redmi note 3 pro is my least preferred source.

Track from City of the Sun sound gorgeous with this combo. And most of chesky binaural sounds great too

But playing Stick Figure or Def Gab C tracks and the issue of cramped stage become apparent again.

RX-1 really grrat for vocals and simple ensemble but not much for rock / metal. IMHO

But hey its back on my ears. I guess RX-1 and couple other earbud (like tomahawk) will always be bipolar with people. I'll enjoy RX-1 tonight and see if it stick till tomorrow.

Aug 26, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #22,401 of 75,573
All the rave about RX-1 these couple of days made me open my drawer and pull out the sleeping earbud once again.

From Z1 LO to o2 amp on low gain, loose (old) VE foam ( because old used VE foam really brings out better bass than new and tight foam)

Great great mids. Open sounding and beautiful bass response. If vocals and mids are the star of the song and RX-1 will definitely shine.

Hmm does it always have this open / bigger stage? I remember RX-1 stage a bit compressed?

However it also reminds me why i stash away Rx-1. Lack of kick and bite / attack.

Out of curiosity i paired it with my redmi note 3 pro as source to O2 amp. Surprisingly the void (kick / attack) somehow being filled? TBH redmi note 3 pro is my least preferred source.

Track from City of the Sun sound gorgeous with this combo. And most of chesky binaural sounds great too

But playing Stick Figure or Def Gab C tracks and the issue of cramped stage become apparent again.

RX-1 really grrat for vocals and simple ensemble but not much for rock / metal. IMHO

But hey its back on my ears. I guess RX-1 and couple other earbud (like tomahawk) will always be bipolar with people. I'll enjoy RX-1 tonight and see if it stick till tomorrow.
RX1 soundstage is not comparable to that of TP16. It is not as fun sounding or engaging as other earbuds. However it is great for simple vocal tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 26, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #22,402 of 75,573
I would robably agree with that. Tye RX-1 will satisfly audiophiles who want to hear the entire spectrum, however, there's better options if you want a "consumer" classic vshaped sound. Vido, EMX500 etc.... That said, the RX-1 will be truly impressive to those that are looking for this type of "full" sound like myself. Different strokes for different folks...

Aug 26, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #22,406 of 75,573
Anybody have a recommended bud that has the very similar signature of the RX-1 but with the standard MX500 or Yuin shell?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #22,408 of 75,573
Me too. I put away my RX-1 months ago and was curious about the sudden surge of interest, so I took them out to reevaluate.

I listen mostly to classical music, and my conclusion is the same as before. The RX-1 is unsuitable for classical music. Higher instruments such as violins and brass sound shrill, grainy and harsh. The sound signature is overly bright and it doesn't convey the weight and scale of a symphony orchestra. By comparison, my PMV Aeode and Yinman are more balanced and better at accurately reproducing the sound of live acoustic instruments.

Aug 26, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #22,409 of 75,573
Me too. I put away my RX-1 months ago and was curious about the sudden surge of interest, so I took them out to reevaluate.

I listen mostly to classical music, and my conclusion is the same as before. The RX-1 is unsuitable for classical music. Higher instruments such as violins and brass sound shrill, grainy and harsh. The sound signature is overly bright and it doesn't convey the weight and scale of a symphony orchestra. By comparison, my PMV Aeode and Yinman are more balanced and better at accurately reproducing the sound of live acoustic instruments.
Had absolutely the same issue with my pair, they just don't sound good if the sound bounces outside ear canal. I'm inserting them differently now, cables over the ear and drivers not facing my head but facing towards the front, so that the driver ends up going in my ear sideways. All of the harshness gone and resolution came up so much. I absolutely know now why people are polarized about them, you really need to fit them properly, as they change sound more than any headphone I've ever had, even experimenting with bass ports on some headphones had much less effect than properly fitting Auglamour, they changed that much.

Aug 26, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #22,410 of 75,573
The only time I've had an issue with fit for RX-1 was when I got them for the first time and didn't know foam is required(it sounds really bad without foam). I understand it's rather large speaker size compared to typical. I guess it fits fine for my ears just enough to not run into sound issues. I hear greater dynics or impact than the monk+ at least. The bass has better impact.

It's interesting how couple others find the sound compressed(for me the opposite). I find it large, one of the largest I've heard of an earphone.

Keep in mind sound stage depends on tracks, but still it's larger for ones that isn't produced for environmental effects for me.

I'm thinking my canal opening is large enough to take in the area of the sound. Also, it sounds open due to not too snug fit, but fit can better as it is not snug due to the not being the typical shape like the ibuds.

I typically wear large tips for iems medium large precisely. Perhaps if you are a small size, sound is not optimal.

This is the issue with earbuds, fit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back