Earbuds Round-Up
May 20, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #20,192 of 75,669
Just got in Crow Audio's Raven from Rholupat. Beautiful job on the cable, absolutely lovely actually. Doing my initial listen now via Opus #1 with Memoro de la Stona. So far it's comes off as Mid & Treble centric, with very realistic vocals. Cymbals have a great splash to their sound too. It feels very detailed, so probably will do very well with classical music. It responds fairly well to EQ, allowing for a decent enough amount of bass to be achieved. It's also driven easily enough as my Shanling M1 can run it without issue.

Their previous earbud the Crow in my book went head on well against the Cygnus, and for my preferences slightly outperformed in vocals where the Cygnus had other offerings to trade off. I need to ask the crafter first, but if this is intended to be the successor to the Crow, it could be something special.

May 20, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #20,193 of 75,669
Just got in Crow Audio's Raven from Rholupat. Beautiful job on the cable, absolutely lovely actually. Doing my initial listen now via Opus #1 with Memoro de la Stona. So far it's comes off as Mid & Treble centric, with very realistic vocals. Cymbals have a great splash to their sound too. It feels very detailed, so probably will do very well with classical music. It responds fairly well to EQ, allowing for a decent enough amount of bass to be achieved. It's also driven easily enough as my Shanling M1 can run it without issue.

Their previous earbud the Crow in my book went head on well against the Cygnus, and for my preferences slightly outperformed in vocals where the Cygnus had other offerings to trade off. I need to ask the crafter first, but if this is intended to be the successor to the Crow, it could be something special.

Cool. I've already got a couple Indonesian buds (Red De'mun, Heavenly Sounds Cadenza) and several more on the way including Raven. My understanding is that Raven is their own creation whereas the original Crow was notified VE Monk (original Monk, not Monk Plus). As such, the only way you can get Crow now is to send them your own pair of original VE Monk. I've got a pair, but I'm not sending them in to have them modded, lol. Too rare!

Incoming buds - ABNormal White Dietris, Crow Raven, ELi Sabia, a pair from Phobia, and 16 & 32 ohm hand-held painted buds from Uairekko. I've also got Blur on the way. Excited!

May 20, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #20,194 of 75,669
Cool. I've already got a couple Indonesian buds (Red De'mun, Heavenly Sounds Cadenza) and several more on the way including Raven. My understanding is that Raven is their own creation whereas the original Crow was notified VE Monk (original Monk, not Monk Plus). As such, the only way you can get Crow now is to send them your own pair of original VE Monk. I've got a pair, but I'm not sending them in to have them modded, lol. Too rare!

Incoming buds - ABNormal White Dietris, Crow Raven, ELi Sabia, a pair from Phobia, and 16 & 32 ohm hand-held painted buds from Uairekko. I've also got Blur on the way. Excited!

Yep, I'm really impressed with Uairekko's work. A custom paint job as well as a custom tuning was really great for the cost. The Indonesian earbud market is really showing an amazing amount of talent. I had a quick chat with Aldy from Crow, and he confirmed the Raven wasn't intended to replace the Crow, just aiming to be an all-arounder, which it seems to have some promise in being capable of doing so. Apparently some have reported the bass coming more to life after 50 or so hours, so I'll be burning mine in for now to see what happens. It EQs well enough that I'll be quite happy if the bass improves past where it is already.

BTW, it so far seems to really like the M1, so I'm happy to have an easily portable dap for it.

May 20, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #20,196 of 75,669
Nope, USA.
Sorry, can't help with stores in Malaysia.

No worries.

'am I the only one here who has the Zen 2.0 Black Edition? Wondering how they rate against some of the other buds you guys are using. I also have the Zen 2.0 Standard (and the obligatory Monk +), but these are my only buds so far... looking to fill out my collection.

Well I had just ordered the following earbuds with a total cost of around 60USD:-
  • Yincrow X6 (With Pouch) [RMB 59]
Link: https://world.taobao.com/item/54249...630dda8a240b62c1&spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.tpuWyd

• Benjie BJ-49 [RMB 49]
Link: https://world.tmall.com/item/521519503806.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.tpuWyd&skuId=3107096887116

• AKG K311 [RMB 69]
Link: https://world.tmall.com/item/40547366783.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.tpuWyd&skuId=3116471233298

• DIY Z180 [RMB 30]
Link: https://world.taobao.com/item/38656938029.htm

• DIY MX500 [RMB 25]
Link: https://world.taobao.com/item/526435784603.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.tpuWyd#detail

• DIY PK1 [RMB 39]
Link: https://world.taobao.com/item/20069799424.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.bYNvk7#detail

The prices and names are just for reference, of course there might be other options. I had never heard of them but yeah.......check them out......since they don't cost a lot......hopefully you can fill up your "collection" empty space.

May 20, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #20,197 of 75,669
**** EMX500 is amazing out of the box for me. Best bass I've heard, clearly goes to 20Hz (http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_sinebursts20-200.php), and without compromizing the rest. Can't stop listening to them. Without any eq they sound like the target response I've been trying to eq all others to (on ibasso dx90).

They're buds with biceps:L3000:

Haven't spent much time with Vido (got both yesterday) as EMX500 seemed like the big brother right away, though Vido seems nice too.

How's the Vido compare to the EMX 500?

I also wonder how the EMX500 compares to the Yincrow X6. The Yincrow X6 has extensive bass according to what I've read. I've sworn off budget earbuds but a cheap earbud with emphasis on bass - not an all-rounder, would be a nice thing to have at times! The X6 is not new, but just now getting more attention.

I had the Nicehck DIY PK2 for a week but gifted it. Wating for the black cable version to arrive in a week or two. According to Jim at Nicehck it has the same drivers, and sound signature.

May 20, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #20,198 of 75,669
How to
Yep, I'm really impressed with Uairekko's work. A custom paint job as well as a custom tuning was really great for the cost. The Indonesian earbud market is really showing an amazing amount of talent. I had a quick chat with Aldy from Crow, and he confirmed the Raven wasn't intended to replace the Crow, just aiming to be an all-arounder, which it seems to have some promise in being capable of doing so. Apparently some have reported the bass coming more to life after 50 or so hours, so I'll be burning mine in for now to see what happens. It EQs well enough that I'll be quite happy if the bass improves past where it is already.

BTW, it so far seems to really like the M1, so I'm happy to have an easily portable dap for it.
How to contact Uairekko and what would be the price with shipping to UK?

May 20, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #20,199 of 75,669
How's the Vido compare to the EMX 500?

My Vido has not run more than 5 hours, EMX500 double that. Both are very very good and they are familiar to my ears, but I believe EMX500 has even more subbass (they both have lots of bass). And comparatively the Vido has elevated mids, somewhere around 2-3-4000Hz. This can give the Vido very sweet mids, which is not there in the same way with EMX. I think I prefer vido for gaming because of this, but for music I think I prefer EMX500. I am sensitive to those mids, and some voices and horns gets too much for me with Vido (not sure its above neutral, I talk relative). Likewise with the HI-Z 32. In the highs (for example cymbals) the EMX has the most level, which results in the largest scene. The bass makes a lot of music very "full" sounding, its like you can feel the room because of the bass. I especially like the EMX500 with 60s and 70s music (blues, soul, jazz) and electronic music, but there is nothing I don't like them with, they sound amazing with a variety of music. I don't know yet what to say about for example separation.

All in all I would say EMX500 is U shaped. Not shure what Vido is, maybe others can chime in.

But take it with a grain of salt, as I am a beginner and they and my ears are not run in:)

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #20,200 of 75,669
Imma be honest, I havent visited this thread in a while because of the site rework.
Can anyone give me a short list of the new noteworthy ear buds?
Thanks <3

May 20, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #20,202 of 75,669
First time listening to the Zen 2.0 Black Edition directly off of the Fiio X5iii, and I actually really like it. A little cumbersome though (lol).
18556588_621375988060178_1462447281582279524_o.jpg 18588794_621378438059933_3089302937575377043_o.jpg

May 20, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #20,203 of 75,669
I currently own the Zen 1.0 but I'm looking for an upgrade. @ClieOS, what are you recommendations?

Also, any reason why your ranking was removed from the first post? I tried searching for it, but I couldn't find it.

You can find his rankings here:
http://www.inearmatters.net/p/earbuds-roundup.html

As far as finding an upgrade for the Zen 1.0, good luck! I don't think they get much better, do they?

Then again, I've been being blown away lately by cheapos like the Qian39 and the Vido's (let alone the Monk+'s), so I think I'm sticking around in the budget-fi earbud zone for now.

Having said that, I'm also interested in what ClieOS's response will be :)

May 20, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #20,204 of 75,669
I currently own the Zen 1.0 but I'm looking for an upgrade. @ClieOS, what are you recommendations?

Also, any reason why your ranking was removed from the first post? I tried searching for it, but I couldn't find it.

If you are looking for a direct upgrade of the same sound signature, I don't really have any recommendation. As with all the ToTL earbuds, finding a direct upgrade is usually not easy, if not impossible. But if you are merely looking for another ToTL earbuds and don't mind a different sound signature, I can recommend Shozy Stardust / BK (and better yet, the balanced version of Startdust / BK). Cypherus Audio Campfred and Qfred will make my shortlist as well, but those are not nearly as easy to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back