Earbuds Round-Up
May 20, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #20,206 of 75,702
If you are looking for a direct upgrade of the same sound signature, I don't really have any recommendation. As with all the ToTL earbuds, finding a direct upgrade is usually not easy, if not impossible. But if you are merely looking for another ToTL earbuds and don't mind a different sound signature, I can recommend Shozy Stardust / BK (and better yet, the balanced version of Startdust / BK). Cypherus Audio Campfred and Qfred will make my shortlist as well, but those are not nearly as easy to find.

Thanks for the info. What do you think of K's 500 Earbuds?

May 20, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #20,207 of 75,702
May 21, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #20,208 of 75,702
I'm trying to figure out what's up with the **** PT15 -

First: I bought a set last Fall (from AK Audio Store on AliExpress), and found that when wearing the cables over-the-ear, they're a secure and comfortable fit - and I get decent, if not profound Bass response. Since my hearing drops off in the 13KHz - 14KHz range, I wasn't finding the PT15 unbearably bright, like some (most) others here on Head-Fi - but they were tilted toward the Midrange & Treble end of the spectrum.

Second: Recently, when removing my MMCX cable, the connector pulled out of the right earbud, so I ordered a replacement set from AK Audio Store. They arrived today, and the new ones have a somewhat different sound signature. They're more balanced sounding, with significantly better low Bass response. I don't know if it's mainly due to them fitting my ears really well, or if there's been a driver upgrade? The product page on AliExpress, is the same one I saw and ordered from last Fall, and lists the PT15 as a 2016 model.

May 21, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #20,209 of 75,702
From all the high-end earphones I tried, nothing beats campfred balanced. @ricesteam campfred 2 is coming in august. You might want to be on the waiting list.

I have Blur 魔女 since a few days. Still in burn in process although bloody penguin wasn't kidding when he said it has an edge on clarity. It even feel uncanny at times! Soundstage is bigger than usual. Clear and airy like a sunny winter walk

May 21, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #20,210 of 75,702
From all the high-end earphones I tried, nothing beats campfred balanced. @ricesteam campfred 2 is coming in august. You might want to be on the waiting list.

I have Blur 魔女 since a few days. Still in burn in process although bloody penguin wasn't kidding when he said it has an edge on clarity. It even feel uncanny at times! Soundstage is bigger than usual. Clear and airy like a sunny winter walk

How do I get on the waiting list?

May 21, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #20,213 of 75,702
anyone got a link for this vido earbuds everybody talking about, cant find them anywhere in aliexpress.

May 21, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #20,215 of 75,702
anyone got a link for this vido earbuds everybody talking about, cant find them anywhere in aliexpress.

New NICEHCK DIY Earbud In Ear Earphone Earbud Dynamic Flat Head Plug Earbud Bass HIFI Earphone Bass Earbud Use For Vieo Pad
http://s.aliexpress.com/v6j6NFRj
(from AliExpress Android)

May 21, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #20,217 of 75,702
@noknok23, I've been trying to find more info regarding Blur 魔女. They sound interesting. How do they compare to the ToTL earbuds?
Imo pretty good if you are looking for what they have to offer. still not fully burned in but what I could gather is that they sound quite different from other totl, They don't try to be all rounder. The quality of bass is sub par. However clarity and soundstage is truly impressive. Depends on the music you listen to but acoustic, jazz, classical, ambient is wow, clear and realistic. some genre like techno for example rely on bass and closed soundstage for example, you guessed it, sound just "ok".
other totl will make everything sounds very good. he also have better cable version one. The one I got is the cheapest but it's already pretty good. Also it's 300ohm.

@upsguys88 if price no constraint Cypherus does full custom unique earbuds from $500 :)

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #20,219 of 75,702

After spending some time switching between Vido, Monk and Monk plus, my pick is definitely Vido for its more mature natural sound. Monk comes 2nd Monk plus the 3rd.

Vido has better bass quality and quantity than both Monk and Monk plus. It also has a bit more midbass which makes the mids sounding fuller and more natural. The vocals are also more upfront in Vido. Soundstage seems to be a little smaller than Monks. But I could hear more details with Vido which I never heard before with Monks. The mids are just amazing on these!!!

The treble has more presence on both Monks but could be a bit harsh on some songs. It is a bit subdued on Vido but in a good way. The treble while being less present on Vido it never becomes harsh or tiring and details are on par or better than the Monks.

Please bear in mind that these are just my personal opinions through Walnut V2. YMMV

May 21, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #20,220 of 75,702

After spending some time switching between Vido, Monk and Monk plus, my pick is definitely Vido for its more mature natural sound. Monk comes 2nd Monk plus the 3rd.

Vido has better bass quality and quantity than both Monk and Monk plus. It also has a bit more midbass which makes the mids sounding fuller and more natural. The vocals are also more upfront in Vido. Soundstage seems to be a little smaller than Monks. But I could hear more details with Vido which I never heard before with Monks. The mids are just amazing on these!!!

The treble has more presence on both Monks but could be a bit harsh on some songs. It is a bit subdued on Vido but in a good way. The treble while being less present on Vido it never becomes harsh or tiring and details are on par or better than the Monks.

Please bear in mind that these are just my personal opinions through Walnut V2. YMMV

Nice! Is the Vido better than your modded Philips too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back