Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 13, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #17,596 of 75,470
Danneq Thanks for the reply, I'll just assume it's a matter of taste for the MX 985 then. That level of neutrality is why I stopped my headphone upgrading at the HD700, worrying the 800 would be too polite to my ears.

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #17,597 of 75,470
@Danneq Thanks for the reply, I'll just assume it's a matter of taste for the MX 985 then. That level of neutrality is why I stopped my headphone upgrading at the HD700, worrying the 800 would be too polite to my ears.

I can understand why some would love the  mx985 if you are the kind of person who loves a ruler flat FR. It isn't bad at anything because it can do anything competently. But, they really are just so boring. Technically proficient yes, but they are lifeless too.

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #17,599 of 75,470
Nice to meet you all from Indonesia, i would like to join any discussion or conversation here, so i braced myself to shown up now :D. sorry if my grammar a bit broken :V. 

Welcome! I see a Shanling M2, properly amped!

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #17,600 of 75,470
Just got my ABnormal Labs Dietris White :D

Definitely a thick sounding earbud, quite bassy and a rather large soundstage. Has been mentioned by a few others. Playing slower music, Chill, hip hop etc is does pretty darn well.

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #17,601 of 75,470
So I got my first ever Monk+ for about a week now, and I have to say, I'm simply blown away by its openness and airiness, while successfully capture most of the subtle details in any given songs.
It's indeed, best $5 I've spent in a while. For casual bed time listening, these things is just perfect for me.

Now that I've been hooked into the whole earbuds stuff, I need some consultants' oppinions on which of the below pairs should I pick up:

1. Monk+ Espresso edition (if it ain't broken, why bother fixing/changing, right?)
2. AUGLAMOUR RX-1 (the most eye-pleasing designs I've seen yet on earbuds, not sure about its SQ)
3. K's 300ohm (I'm not completely certain that higher impedance will offer a better SQ, especially I'm planning not to use any amp)

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I just drive my IEMs/Earbuds straight out of my laptop, Iphone 5 output. Source would often be non-premium Spotify, Youtube, or 320kps tracks at best.

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #17,603 of 75,470
So I got my first ever Monk+ for about a week now, and I have to say, I'm simply blown away by its openness and airiness, while successfully capture most of the subtle details in any given songs.

It's indeed, best $5 I've spent in a while. For casual bed time listening, these things is just perfect for me.

Now that I've been hooked into the whole earbuds stuff, I need some consultants' oppinions on which of the below pairs should I pick up:

1. Monk+ Espresso edition (if it ain't broken, while bother fixing/changing, right?)

2. AUGLAMOUR RX-1 (the most eye-pleasing designs I've seen yet on earbuds, not sure about its SQ)

3. K's 300ohm (I'm not completely certain that higher impedance will offer a better SQ, especially I'm planning not to use any amp)

Thanks in advance.

I have the RX1, and I would dare say that they packed a lot of goodies at that price point. Construction is good, to me they sound rather bright and loud, bass is slightly lacking.

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #17,604 of 75,470
I have the RX1, and I would dare say that they packed a lot of goodies at that price point. Construction is good, to me they sound rather bright and loud, bass is slightly lacking.

The inclusion of such abundant amount of goodies is what make me uncomfortable about those. At least for me, it means that less money goes toward the earbuds itself (or its R&D). I rather have the earbuds packed in a plastic wrap like the Monk+ (top quality packaging). So have you find any good use for the metal logo piece?

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #17,605 of 75,470
The inclusion of such abundant amount of goodies is what make me uncomfortable about those. At least for me, it means that less money goes toward the earbuds itself (or its R&D). I rather have the earbuds packed in a plastic wrap like the Monk+ (top quality packaging). So have you find any good use for the metal logo piece?

I agree that there are strong contenders at that price range, and the Monk+ (which I own too) is one that performs way above its price point. I haven't find an use for the metal logo (shoved somewhere unknown already) but the wooden stand is useful! Been sitting on my desk nicely :)

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #17,606 of 75,470

I found the Auglamour RX-1 to be a disaster for classical music. String instruments sound shrill and unpleasant. Symphony orchestra sounds thin and tinny.

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #17,607 of 75,470

I found the Auglamour RX-1 to be a disaster for classical music. String instruments sound shrill and unpleasant. Symphony orchestra sounds thin and tinny.

Yes I agree, I am finding it hard to pair the RX1 with a certain type of genre...I haven't taken time to experiment extensively though

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #17,608 of 75,470

Yes I agree, I am finding it hard to pair the RX1 with a certain type of genre...I haven't taken time to experiment extensively though

Anything that does not call for particularly good extension on either end

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #17,609 of 75,470

The Cadenza's are more V-shaped. I would say they are a more exaggerated Edimun's. Better extension on both sides, though a bit hot on the upper mids. I think a touch less of the awesome CampFred sub-bass for more mid-bass. 

The Stardusts were my first earbuds that I really liked. Not too warm like the Zen's, and not too bright like the Mojito's. It would be easier to describe them as the Red Demun's, but with more treble extension I think. They sound more dynamic, but not as spacious as the Red Demun. A tiny bit less upper mids that can make the Red Demun sound shouty at times. I really enjoy them for metal. Gives guitars that edge and the snares just pop.

If the CAX Black really do come close to the LCD's, then I would be a very happy man. I love the Audeze sound, but they are god awful in terms of comfort. The weight was not so bad, but the fazors kept stabbing my ears.

Thanks for your impressions on the Cadenzas and Stardusts. Sounds like Cadenza is not too far from Diomnes Lv2. Your preference when it comes to soud signature seems to be not too far from mine, so going by your impressions of Cadenza I might just as well skip it. I really like Diomnes Lv2 even if upper mids and treble can be a bit "pushy" sometimes...

Stardust also seems to be not too far from Diomnes Lv2. Hmmm... Then I might skip that one as well. Or try it if I find a second hand pair.

I have never heard any of the LCD headphones. In places like Yodobashi in Japan I have auditioned stuff like H650, AKG K701, ATH W2000 etc

I mostly listen to music on the go so earbuds is an ideal choice for me. CAX black truly is magnificent, but not very practical for portable use because of the stiff cardas cable. CampFred is a step down in just about everything, but I still find it very enjoyable. With CampFred I tap my feet and bob my head to the music. With CAX black I just sit quiet and think "wow!".

@Danneq Thanks for the reply, I'll just assume it's a matter of taste for the MX 985 then. That level of neutrality is why I stopped my headphone upgrading at the HD700, worrying the 800 would be too polite to my ears.

Yeah, it might be a matter of taste. I do not think that MX985 (or MX980/OMX980) could ever come in the no 1 spot for me. Perhaps before Blox TM7 were released in 2012 but I bought my Sennheisers after TM7. TM7 is similar to MX985 but more lush sounding and with better bass.
And I sort of agree with @vapman that MX985 (MX980/OMX980) is a bit boring. To my ears it adds little to the music and you hear more of the source than the earbuds. So a good source might be necessary.

Personally I like that neutrality. But I do enjoy more "colored"  and fun sounding earbuds more. I suppose it depends on the mood.

Today I was going to bring my OMX980 and Red De'mun to work and compare them but by mistake I took Diomnes instead of Red De'mun. The case I use for Diomnes now is the one I used for Red De'mun before (the original Red De'mun case is now used for CAX black). Will have to give it another try tomorrow and bring the correct buds...

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #17,610 of 75,470
Nice to meet you all from Indonesia, i would like to join any discussion or conversation here, so i braced myself to shown up now :D. sorry if my grammar a bit broken :V. 

Glad to have you here, and I see you brought your bomb!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back