Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 13, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #17,581 of 75,672
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here for a while, but thought it was about time I actively joined the community! I have used several headphones and IEMs, but due to comfort issues with my TMJ (jaw problems... swelling, pain, etc.) I wouldn't keep most of them for very long. Saw this thread and thought I'd try out earbuds. Have had no regrets! Much better comfort, still amazing sound, but also hell of a lot cheaper than the $500+ I've spent on headphones. Here is my collection so far since following this thread (by rank of most favorite):

1) CampFred
2) QFred
3) Shozy Stardust
4) (Heavenly Sounds) Cadenza
5) Red Demun
6) Edimun - considering selling
7) Rose Mojito - selling
8) Zen 2 - sold already
9) Monk+ (came with Zen's)

- Should note that I went straight for TOTL, since I wanted something comparable in fidelity to what I was listening to before.

I've already sold most of my existing stuff due to the comparable quality. I hope to add CAX Black (or the next flagship) to this list in the future, then I may not need any headphones! Well at least my open back ones...

Feb 13, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #17,582 of 75,672
  Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here for a while, but thought it was about time I actively joined the community! I have used several headphones and IEMs, but due to comfort issues with my TMJ (jaw problems... swelling, pain, etc.) I wouldn't keep most of them for very long. Saw this thread and thought I'd try out earbuds. Have had no regrets! Much better comfort, still amazing sound, but also hell of a lot cheaper than the $500+ I've spent on headphones. Here is my collection so far since following this thread (by rank of most favorite):

1) CampFred
2) QFred
3) Shozy Stardust
5) Red Demun
7) Rose Mojito - selling
8) Zen 2 - sold already

- Should note that I went straight for TOTL, since I wanted something comparable in fidelity to what I was listening to before.

I've already sold most of my existing stuff due to the comparable quality. I hope to add CAX Black (or the next flagship) to this list in the future, then I may not need any headphones! Well at least my open back ones...

IMO, some cheap earbuds - there are a select few that are amazing, provide better sound value than headphones for the same price. I'm talking about sub $10 range. When you consider higher end earbuds, you pay for the convenience of wearing earbuds instead of having huge headphones on your head. I have a $35 pair of huge over ear monitor headphones - AKG clones - that arguably have much better overall SQ than my $100+ TY HP 650. But the headphones are uncomfortable to wear with glasses, and not comfortable for long periods of time. I don't think you can compare correctly designed $500+ headphones to anything on your list. Also, earbuds are more delicate than headphones (I know this is a generalization). That said, I prefer wearing earbuds!

Feb 13, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #17,583 of 75,672

IMO, some cheap earbuds - there are a select few that are amazing, provide better sound value than headphones for the same price. I'm talking about sub $10 range. When you consider higher end earbuds, you pay for the convenience of wearing earbuds instead of having huge headphones on your head. I have a $35 pair of huge over ear monitor headphones - AKG clones - that arguably have much better overall SQ than my $100+ TY HP 650. But the headphones are uncomfortable to wear with glasses, and not comfortable for long periods of time. I don't think you can compare correctly designed $500+ headphones to anything on your list. Also, earbuds are more delicate than headphones (I know this is a generalization). That said, I prefer wearing earbuds!

Definitely. I'm not saying earbuds like the QFred's are on par with an HD 650 or LCD 2 (both which I found really uncomfortable and sold later), but they were good enough in terms of sound and value that I don't see much of a point in keeping such expensive headphones, especially when comfort is my biggest issue. I also wear glasses, and some headphones just do not work with glasses. I'll probably still keep one or two headphones though for critical listening and enjoyment (my HE-560 don't give me comfort issues for one), but for the most part, I'll use earbuds for everything else.

Feb 13, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #17,587 of 75,672
lol, that is pretty good..
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #17,589 of 75,672
Here is puresound, Am I allowed to post this?

removed
My totl earbuds have better sq than my 5yr old headphones. But probably because it was "DJ" marketed and more focus on look than sound :p (talking about the aiaiai tma1)

Nope.

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #17,590 of 75,672
  Well, the more I progress in this hobby, the more I think about the first expensive earbud I acquired, the MX985.  While I know it's considered one of the best earbuds to many people's ears, there's just nothing about it that in comparison to other similarly or even lesser quality earbuds that really grabs my attention.  My concern is that while this could easily be explained by a difference in taste, it could also be explained by being a fake as I have nothing else to compare against.  The one I own has a very laid back and non-aggressive sound to it, possibly due to a large soundstage which I am a horrible judge of due to having virtually no depth perception, so I can't really judge distances whatsoever.  For the same volume on a Walnut, the Zen 2 for example has nearly the same vocal volume, but instruments feel far more present and louder.  Instruments like harp have clear and well defined sound, so that's good.  Electric guitar is decent, and certainly ahead of drums and bass, which feels lacking somewhat.  It could be that this is a treble-head earbud of which I am no means a member as I am by far least concerned with the treble portion of the spectrum, loving bass and vocals.  Vocals themselves are a little distant compared to other vocal-based earbuds, but have a life-like sound to them.  Considering the MX 985 is 16 ohm and 120 dB/mW, and the Zen 2 is 320 ohm and both have a rather similar vocal volume given same power, that concerns me as well.

At best, the MX985 is a poor match for me, at worst it's a flat out fake.  It's certainly a concern that's been growing with me as time goes on, and part of the reason I've never been willing to see about trading them off as I certainly don't have a real love for these.  Maybe I'm overthinking it...  but the more I experience in this hobby, especially with acquiring the Zen 2 & Edimun V3 this past week, I'm growing in concern.

I have never heard of fake MX985. The housing just seems too complicated to copy, so I would imagine that the only fakes would have been made at the same factory by the "night shift".

Perhaps you just don't like the sound signature. I still consider MX985 (& MX980/OMX980) to be among the most neutral earbuds I have heard. I like them alot and even if they have never been no 1 they have always been in my top (for a long time no 2 after Blox TM7 and now just pushed down to no 6). The only thing I find lacking on them is sub bass...

I think that Celsus Gramo One has got a neutral type of sound but I could never get along with that sound. Still I overall prefer a more neutral type of sound.

Red De'mun is very close to MX985, but to my ears it sounds more "colored" and less neutral. It's also got slightly peaky upper mids. Diomnes Lv2 is like that too, but it sounds so grand and magnificent that I have no problems ignoring the slightly peaky mids. It does not work well with metal, though, because of that.

Back to the MX985, I think Sennheiser aimed for a reference type of sound and in my mind they truly succeeded with that. They surely went out of the TOTL earbud business with a bang.

Quote:
  Hello everyone,

1) CampFred
2) QFred
3) Shozy Stardust
5) Red Demun
7) Rose Mojito - selling
8) Zen 2 - sold already

Wow! A head fier in my taste! It took me a couple of years to realize that I would only know what I liked if I bought and then kept what I liked and sold what I didn't like.

How would you describe Shozy Stardust and HS Cadenza compared to CampFred? I have been thinking of buying both but I bought other stuff instead.

CAX black ($280) beats my ATH ES10 portable headphones ($350+) in just about everything except bass. Heck, even CampFred can barely beat ES10 at everything except for bass quantity AND sound like full size headphones at the same time.

Budget earbuds, for me mainly TY32 (version 1) and Monk+, are great as well. But there is a difference when going from a $5-10 earbud to a $150 earbud. Sure, the expensive ones are not 20-30 times better, but definitely much more accurate and detailed. I have personally pretty much abandoned $20-$100 earbuds since stuff like Monk+ can compete with most earbuds up to $100. Over that there is a big difference.

Anyway, I do not doubt what one Head fier wrote in the Cypherus thread - that his pair of CAX black was almost as good as his LCD-X (I think that the sound signature of CAX black is aiming for the sound of LCD 3, if I remember correctly). A well tuned and well made pair of earbuds can amaze even the strongest doubter.

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #17,591 of 75,672
Makes me wonder. Are the trend now is pushing the impedance higher to get more control or they're (the maker) actually progressing in developing the driver membrane altogether. 

There is very little progress in earbud technologies. The value from a manufacturer is tuning the current technology.

There are business and marketing reasons to push for higher impedances. Yes, higher impedance gains more control but it is also aimed at a more premium market that is willing to pay higher prices. Most importantly, the profit margin is much higher. Think of cars. The luxury model with slightly nicer interior costs just a little more to manufacture than the base model, but it will sell at a much higher price, and the difference is all profit. The profit from mass market low end earbuds is very small. A manufacturer can get the same or more profit by selling fewer of a more premium (higher impedance) product.

Another reason for higher impedance is that the earbud market is saturated with products that are very similar to each other (even look identical and using the same shells). It is hard to make your product stand out from competitors. Impedance is one of the few features to mark a product as different.

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #17,592 of 75,672

How does the fit of the Ting compare to MX500 shell? The only thing holding me back on the Ting is a possible fit issue. Nice photo!

The housings of the Ting seem to fit me slightly better than the MX500 shell.  Unfortunately I can not say how exactly they will fit you.  It is just one of those things you will just have to try.

--

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #17,593 of 75,672
Originally Posted by Danneq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow! A head fier in my taste! It took me a couple of years to realize that I would only know what I liked if I bought and then kept what I liked and sold what I didn't like.

How would you describe Shozy Stardust and HS Cadenza compared to CampFred? I have been thinking of buying both but I bought other stuff instead.

The Cadenza's are more V-shaped. I would say they are a more exaggerated Edimun's. Better extension on both sides, though a bit hot on the upper mids. I think a touch less of the awesome CampFred sub-bass for more mid-bass. 

The Stardusts were my first earbuds that I really liked. Not too warm like the Zen's, and not too bright like the Mojito's. It would be easier to describe them as the Red Demun's, but with more treble extension I think. They sound more dynamic, but not as spacious as the Red Demun. A tiny bit less upper mids that can make the Red Demun sound shouty at times. I really enjoy them for metal. Gives guitars that edge and the snares just pop.

Anyway, I do not doubt what one Head fier wrote in the Cypherus thread - that his pair of CAX black was almost as good as his LCD-X (I think that the sound signature of CAX black is aiming for the sound of LCD 3, if I remember correctly). A well tuned and well made pair of earbuds can amaze even the strongest doubter.

If the CAX Black really do come close to the LCD's, then I would be a very happy man. I love the Audeze sound, but they are god awful in terms of comfort. The weight was not so bad, but the fazors kept stabbing my ears.

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #17,594 of 75,672
There is very little progress in earbud technologies. The value from a manufacturer is tuning the current technology.

There are business and marketing reasons to push for higher impedances. Yes, higher impedance gains more control but it is also aimed at a more premium market that is willing to pay higher prices. Most importantly, the profit margin is much higher. Think of cars. The luxury model with slightly nicer interior costs just a little more to manufacture than the base model, but it will sell at a much higher price, and the difference is all profit. The profit from mass market low end earbuds is very small. A manufacturer can get the same or more profit by selling fewer of a more premium (higher impedance) product.

Another reason for higher impedance is that the earbud market is saturated with products that are very similar to each other (even look identical and using the same shells). It is hard to make your product stand out from competitors. Impedance is one of the few features to mark a product as different.

This is something that I notice as well, that now there is an influx of high impedance earbuds (150ohms and above) at markedly higher prices. Does it mean that these high impedance earbuds can scale better with better source?

I was trying my Opus #1 with my various earbuds (**** PT15, Yuin PK2, MusicMaker Tomahawk), and I do feel that they do not scale up as well from my previous source (DX90).

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #17,595 of 75,672

This is something that I notice as well, that now there is an influx of high impedance earbuds (150ohms and above) at markedly higher prices. Does it mean that these high impedance earbuds can scale better with better source?

I was trying my Opus #1 with my various earbuds (**** PT15, Yuin PK2, MusicMaker Tomahawk), and I do feel that they do not scale up as well from my previous source (DX90).

the price is somewhat deserved on some of the high ohm models - need to try yinman still, but my ty 650 is still probably my best sounding bud along with asura 2 when you give it a super high power & clean source. Other buds just do not scale as well. Some exceptions of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back