Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 10, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #16,081 of 75,867
There is always my plan to stop the list at some point. For those who can recall, it was completely removed sometime ago, but eventually reinstated as the lite version on popular demand, but that was never meant to be there forever.

The reasons are two folds: First, I don't have the time to maintain a public ranking anymore. In fact, I don't have enough time to listen to any headphone at it is. So whatever time I can spare, it is better served for enjoying music rather than ranking which is better than what. That's also why I posted much much less than I used to in the forum. Secondly, the original intention of the list is to inspire more people to try earbud in a time when no such list is available anywhere and earbuds as a type of headphone was heading downhill in its popularity. For most part, that purpose has been achieved. But over the year, it seems more and more people begins to take the ranking too much on its face value and forget that it is just one person's opinion based on one person's listening preference. The fun and adventure that should have encouraged a person to experience new sound has somehow turned into a blind chase of ranking, as if for many, getting the next 'best' thing is more important than getting the right sound signature, and reading your next 'upgrade' out of a list will somehow be better than doing proper research. - I have been in Head-fi for over a decade and has yet to find an easy way that will turn a typical consumer with bad headphone to an audiophile with a dream rig without making mistakes or wasting time and money in between. The best part for me being a Head-fier is that I get to enjoy the process and constantly know that it is not about the 'absolute best' headphone, but rather being amazed by the wider world out there. That is the beauty for me. On that note, I don't want to see the list itself getting mistakenly interpreted as some kind of 'quick fix' for what should have been a long quest - and it is better not to have the list in such case.

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #16,082 of 75,867
  There is always my plan to stop the list at some point. For those who can recall, it was completely removed sometime ago, but eventually reinstated as the lite version on popular demand, but that was never meant to be there forever.

The reasons are two folds: First, I don't have the time to maintain a public ranking anymore. In fact, I don't have enough to listen to any headphone at it is. So whatever time I can spare, it is better served for enjoying music rather than ranking which is better than what. That's also why I posted much much less than I used to in the forum. Secondly, the original intention of the list is to inspire more people to try earbud in a time when no such list is available anywhere and earbuds as type of headphone was heading downhill in its popularity. For most part, that purpose has been achieved. But over the year, it seems more and more people begins to take the ranking too much on its surface value and forget that it is just one person's opinion based on one person's listening preference. The fun and adventure that should have encouraged a person to experience new sound has somehow turned into a blind chase of ranking, as if for many, getting the next 'best' thing is more important than getting the right sound signature, and reading your next 'upgrade' out of a list will somehow be better than doing proper research. - I have been in Head-fi for over a decade and has yet to find an easy way that will turn a typical consumer with bad headphone to an audiophile with a dream rig without making mistakes or wasting time and money in between. The best part for me being a Head-fier is that I get to enjoy the process and constantly know that it is not about the 'absolute best' headphone, but rather being amazed by the wider world out there. That is the beauty for me. On that note, I don't want to see the list itself getting mistakenly interpreted as some kind of 'quick fix' for what should have been a long quest - and it is better not to have the list in such case.

Anyway thank you for your list. I do remeber the version that had descriptions and it was a great asset to me as a beginner. 

First it gave an idea of a range. I never could imagine such a variety in sound quality, price and build.
Second it gave me the confidence that most of the buds out there are at its worst mediocre but not straight bad. That helped to evade the fear of mistake.
Third the descriptions really helped me with getting initial variety of signatures that helps me even now. RX-1 is still my lovely companion.

I do understand that getting your own setup is a journey, but receiving some guidance was really nice. 
Thank you again!

p.s. Rose 64 was a pre-production that never made it to the series, right? =/

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #16,084 of 75,867
  There is always my plan to stop the list at some point. For those who can recall, it was completely removed sometime ago, but eventually reinstated as the lite version on popular demand, but that was never meant to be there forever.....

I completely understand your decision on this. It has always been a pleasure reading and going back multiple times through your list since you've put it up, especially the full one. It has helped me a lot in hunting down and choosing which buds to focus on acquiring given the limitations in availability and budget at my end - this, together with countless other reviews in this thread. It's beyond me why other visitors had that kind of assumption and attitude you stated above (some even pushing you to change the order of the list!) even if it's obviously one person's PERSONAL ranking.

I still hope that one day, you'll change your mind and have this list available somewhere in the interwebs, no pressure to update, no responsibilities tied to it - because I'm pretty sure, this is one legacy that will be appreciated by anyone in the years (or even decades) to come since it's very rare to find someone who has this big of a collection with very wide listening preference/experience and more importantly...willing to list down, rank and describe each of the earbuds in the arsenal. Thank you for having it and sharing with others :)

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #16,085 of 75,867
  p.s. Rose 64 was a pre-production that never made it to the series, right? =/

It was supposed to be a cheap and short production run model intended as sort of a semi-gift to Rose's customer. I actually got mine for free with Masya, then it disappeared from Rose's Taobao store which I assumed they had sent all of them away for good.

.... I still hope that one day, you'll change your mind and have this list available somewhere in the interwebs, no pressure to update, no responsibilities tied to it - because I'm pretty sure, this is one legacy that will be appreciated by anyone in the years (or even decades) to come since it's very rare to find someone who has this big of a collection with very wide listening preference/experience and more importantly...willing to list down, rank and describe each of the earbuds in the arsenal. Thank you for having it and sharing with others :)

There is enough people in the forum now actively reviewing and discussing earbuds that I don't think a centralized list is essential anymore. Information now comes much easier than when I started this list back in 2009, but hopefully not too easily.

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #16,086 of 75,867

There is enough people in the forum now actively reviewing and discussing earbuds that I don't think a centralized list is essential anymore. Information now comes much easier than when I started this list back in 2009, but hopefully not too easily.

This is like the Mitsurugi Ryu of Rurouni Kenshin (if you know what I mean) where only Kenshin and his master or Shishou knows every technique of the style and plan to bring it to thier grave hahaha. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #16,089 of 75,867

Wow qian39 is made for Japanese style recordings / mastering. From simple track to complex passage qian39 never break a sweat. I finally can understand what the fuss with Japanese style mastering is

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #16,090 of 75,867
@ClieOS @JASru It's a shame the Rose 64 never hit production.  I always intended to buy it when I placed my first Taobao order to the US, but by the time I really was going to put together my shopping list, I had noticed it was gone.  I really was curious how well they'd do with a budget earbud as the two earbuds I have I find phenomenal in their own right, and one of them it currently my top earbud pick.  I still need to put together a shopping list and eventually contact Mister Tao so I can give that route a try.

I also want to thank you for the earbud list and the time and energy you put into it as it gave me a reference point of what might be a good earbud to try out, and just hope from that point that it suits my tastes.  Musically, I have enough variation in what I listen to that most any sound signature can find a place in some of my music, if not most, so at least nothing would ever be a complete waste unless I just didn't like the sound/fit/etc.

Was also curious, has anyone given https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/100-New-Arrival-In-ear-Earphones-Flat-Head-Plug-DIY-Earphone-HiFi-Bass-Earbuds-DJ-Earbuds/1727211_32759573651.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.vlBE2P a try?  Another MX500 DIY earbud costing $13.  The cable is aesthetically pleasing at least, and it claims heavy bass, but so does just about everything on the market.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #16,091 of 75,867
Hey all just fyi on the qian 39 earbuds.   I only use mine with donuts.  When i first got them i tried them with full foams and they were too boomy and and highs were lacking.  I immediately put donuts on and have not looked back since.

The qian 39 has a full open grill over the driver so these buds really really benefit having a donut on them.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #16,092 of 75,867

Wow qian39 is made for Japanese style recordings / mastering. From simple track to complex passage qian39 never break a sweat. I finally can understand what the fuss with Japanese style mastering is
wow! Ling Tosite Sigure, perhaps I will get a qian39 too if it can resolves all the layerings in japanese recordings especially on LTS songs I will be very amazed. Is it a mx500 housing becaude those housing do hurt my ears.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #16,093 of 75,867
wow! Ling Tosite Sigure, perhaps I will get a qian39 too if it can resolves all the layerings in japanese recordings especially on LTS songs I will be very amazed. Is it a mx500 housing becaude those housing do hurt my ears.

The Qian39 doens't use an MX500 housing, but the same housing as Hisoundaudio HSA-E351 unless I'm mistaken.  They look identical to me at least.

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #16,095 of 75,867
  Everything except solid bass. That's an issue for earbuds in general.

so earbuds generally are they anemic in bass ?

i thought that there is an all agreed on flagship earbud for bass lovers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back