Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Sep 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #781 of 1,242
Quote:
Both are good choice, but ER4S needs an amp to shine and DBA-02 has been replaced by DBA-02 MK2 will a slightly warmer sound. If your friend already has an amp (or planning to), I'll recommend ER4S first. If not, get the Brainwavz B2 instead.

thanks
what amp do you recommend to use with er4s? the one  with really natural (or even cold) sound? do you recommend to buying a dedicated dac?

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #782 of 1,242
thanks
what amp do you recommend to use with er4s? the one  with really natural (or even cold) sound? do you recommend to buying a dedicated dac?

Any neutral amp should do the job. It really depends on your friend's budget on how good an amp he/she can get. As for DAC, that depends on what source he/she is using as well. Obviously if it is a PC with on-board soundcard, an USB DAC would be better.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #783 of 1,242
Quote:
Any neutral amp should do the job. It really depends on your friend's budget on how good an amp he/she can get. As for DAC, that depends on what source he/she is using as well. Obviously if it is a PC with on-board soundcard, an USB DAC would be better.

my friend has not a definite budget, he can afford around 300$
the main problem is finding the most natural (even bright) amp in the market (do you think that pico slim is good enough?)
do you think that headstage dac cable or arrow 4G is  natural enough?
thanks for helping

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #784 of 1,242
You don't necessary need a bright amp, something neutral and transparent should work almost as good. If your friend only needs an portable amp, get the O2. If (s)he wants a DAC as well, Leckertoon Audio's UHA-6 MKII with AD8610 (or the stock OPA209) will be something I would go myself. Not sure about Pico Slim since I haven't pay too much attention on Headamp's stuffs, nor is Headstage's. However, I do own a Headstage's DAC cable and I don't think it is worth the price. If (s)he doesn't mind the DIY'sih look, the Stoner Acoustic UD100 is the better sounding option.

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #787 of 1,242
Amazing man...do a list of the most durable

That will be close to impossible since durability has a lot to do with how headphone is handled on individual level and complicated environmental factors.

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #788 of 1,242
Brainwavz M5 added.

M5.jpg

Warm+Sweet 18. Brainwavz M5 (link)
Sound signature wise, M5 is warm and sweet with good extension on both ends, like a mid forward version of the M4. Bass is big and well extended to 20Hz, but the boominess on the upper bass somehow shadows the lower end texture and body, making the overall bass notes sound shallower than it actually is, sounding more fun and punchy rather than deep and rumbling. Mid, though more forwarded when compared to the M4, isn’t nearly as colored or in-your-face-sweet as the older M series (M1, M2 and M3). It is quantitatively more neutral in comparison, but still comes with really good detail and texture to stand firm to the bass rather than get flooded. Treble is where M5 shows the most resemblance to M4. It is well extended, crisp, detailed but not edgy. The only part it doesn’t measure up quite as good is in the overall clarity and micro-detail retrieval. Still, it is a very major step-up over the older M series in these areas. Soundstage is fair, decently wide and airy but nothing spectacular.
Pro: Built quality. Price. Accessories.
Con: None.

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #789 of 1,242
Quote:
Brainwavz M5 added.
M5.jpg

Warm+Sweet 18. Brainwavz M5 (link)
Sound signature wise, M5 is warm and sweet with good extension on both ends, like a mid forward version of the M4. Bass is big and well extended to 20Hz, but the boominess on the upper bass somehow shadows the lower end texture and body, making the overall bass notes sound shallower than it actually is, sounding more fun and punchy rather than deep and rumbling. Mid, though more forwarded when compared to the M4, isn’t nearly as colored or in-your-face-sweet as the older M series (M1, M2 and M3). It is quantitatively more neutral in comparison, but still comes with really good detail and texture to stand firm to the bass rather than get flooded. Treble is where M5 shows the most resemblance to M4. It is well extended, crisp, detailed but not edgy. The only part it doesn’t measure up quite as good is in the overall clarity and micro-detail retrieval. Still, it is a very major step-up over the older M series in these areas. Soundstage is fair, decently wide and airy but nothing spectacular.
Pro: Built quality. Price. Accessories.
Con: None.

How do you compare these with M4 ? I recently bought the M4s and not quite happy with them. I was previously using M2, but i went ahead and bought M4 for the mic option only, and somehow unhappy with the soundstage it offers. I mostly listen to vocals, indian music & modern bollywoon, at times mild rock.  I like good bass, med treble & mids, which brings out all the instruments clearly and sounds soft on the ears. So, where does M5 stand when compared to M4 ? i think lack of mids in M4 is what i feel makes me not like it. what is your opinion?

BTW, i bought my M4s very recently (in the fedex & E6 offer) so the cable packaging is new, similar to M5

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #790 of 1,242
Sep 11, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #791 of 1,242
Found it really helpful as someone who's thinking about getting a first set of half decent IEMs.
Worst thing about it being that quite a few, including most of the best value ones aren't available in the UK :frowning2: (sunrise, head direct, hifiman)

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #792 of 1,242
Found it really helpful as someone who's thinking about getting a first set of half decent IEMs.
Worst thing about it being that quite a few, including most of the best value ones aren't available in the UK :frowning2: (sunrise, head direct, hifiman)

Unfortunately for you UK buyer, the price of headphone are almost always on the higher side of the market. Though there are a few exceptions, such as Sennheiser tends to be just a bit cheaper in UK...

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #794 of 1,242
cant you get them online ?

Not the ones I mentioned (atleast not from a quick look, a couple I could import from the states, but then that often adds more expense, so they lose their good value)

Unfortunately for you UK buyer, the price of headphone are almost always on the higher side of the market. Though there are a few exceptions, such as Sennheiser tends to be just a bit cheaper in UK...

Mm, if we could get them all, just they were all a bit more expensive wouldn't be as bad, but sadly the ones available are more expensive, and we can't even buy the best options! :p

Hence why I'm looking at 2nd hand, since I might either be able to afford a higher model, or possibly get a set someone else has imported etc,

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #795 of 1,242
Quote:
Not the ones I mentioned (atleast not from a quick look, a couple I could import from the states, but then that often adds more expense, so they lose their good value)
Mm, if we could get them all, just they were all a bit more expensive wouldn't be as bad, but sadly the ones available are more expensive, and we can't even buy the best options! :p
Hence why I'm looking at 2nd hand, since I might either be able to afford a higher model, or possibly get a set someone else has imported etc,

hifiman are $10 shipping, and sunrise probably free, check ebay or lendmeurears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back