Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Oct 2, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #811 of 1,242
Quote:
Actually I believe DG Lifestyle store @ NorthPoint (2nd floor) has two boxes of EP100, at least they were there last Saturday when I was in Singapore. If you want something really smooth, TDK IE800 isn't a bad choice as well and can be found on the same store.

Thanks.. Would you recommend one of those over the other?

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #812 of 1,242
Both are excellent choice if smoothness is what you are looking for. EPH-100 has more boomy bass and generally a fun and dynamic presentation, not something you will want for accuracy but a really good choice just for kick back and relax. IE800 is more mid centric but not a particularly upfront or sweet type of sound. It has one of the best soundstage and layer of any mid centric IEM I have ever heard. But the downside is that it has a 10ohm impedance and will place some demand on the source. Should be fine if you are using iPod or Clip+ but might not behave as good on second rated source. Not a problem if you have an amp to drive it. Oh, IE800 has a really big housing as well - that will be a problem if you don't want a 'stick-out' look.

Oct 3, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #815 of 1,242
Would you recommend the Hippo VB or the Future Sonics MG7?

MG7 without a doubt, but you should take note that the current VB might not be the same VB I reviewed as it has gone through reversion.

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #816 of 1,242
Yeah, I heard they added a filter to reduce the sibliance or whatever? So even with that, you would recommend the MG7's?
I really do hate the look of the MG7's.. But I can get them for $100, and the VBs for like $70.
How would you compare them in terms of sound?

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #817 of 1,242
I haven't head of the new VB and can't compare it to other. I can only ytell you I prefer MG7 over the old, original VB.

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #818 of 1,242
I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are when comparing the JVC-HAFXT90, Yamaha EPH-100, Sony MDR-EX600, Vsonic Gr07 mk2, and for fun I'll toss in the Sony XB90EX and Brainwavz M5.

If you have heard any of the above, I'd like your input. They are on my short list of iems to purchase for my upcoming birthday. If you haven't guessed, the kind of sound I am looking for is excellent subbass and bass presence with non-recessed mids. Basically, what you might describe as warm and sweet.

If any of the above happen to have fantastic treble in addition, then that makes them a more likely purchase. Factors I am also considering include detail and soundstage.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #819 of 1,242
Haven't heard the GR07 MK2 and any of the Sony XB series, but other wise I do own the rest. But given GR07 MK2 has the same driver as MK1, I'll guess the bass must be really good as well (more in quality than quantity)

As far as bass goes, I'll say the Yamaha probably has most bass in quantity, but more in the mid- than it is in the sub-. M5 has both good quantity and quality, though overall not as good sounding as the Yamaha. Still, I think it is at least very close or on par to the EX600 (which has good soundstage but not that much bass impact). FXT90 has good bass as well, but it is more of a mid centric sound.

Personally, I think GR07 MK2 is you best bet if bass quality is what you are looking for. M5 is a good choice if budget is a concern. Other wise, I'll also toss in the Dunu DN-19 Tai Chi with its tunable bass. Its overall performance is somewhere between GR07 (MK1) and M5, so as its price.

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #820 of 1,242
MDR-EX600 added.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EX600.jpg

Warm+Sweet 9. Sony MDR-EX600 (link)
Warm, laid back and specious. Bass extends the rather deep to the sub-bass region with good texture, but quantitatively only above neutral and not large by any mean. Similar observation can be said on the mid as well – good detail and texture but not particularly upfront or sweet. This gives a presentation that is well controlled and fairly neutral, but at the same time more laid back and specious. However, upper mid (especially female vocal) is grainy, but not edgy or sibilant. Treble rolls off a bit too early on the top, missing some of the top-end sparkle beyond 15kHz. Despite these nuisances, the IEM still maintains a good balance in frequency response. The mid-to-bass performance is what winning the show. While upper-mid to treble isn’t exactly bad per se, those who pay attention mostly to female vocal or crispiness in violin and cymbal might not find the EX600 best of choice. On the good side – the lacking of isolation (which grants better openness) plus the overall laidback presentation gives the IEM a really good soundstage, even though the transparency is slightly hindered by the lack of air beyond 15kHz.
Pro: One of the best valued dynamic IEM Sony ever made. Accessories.
Con: Availability in the West. Fit. Isolation.

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #822 of 1,242
is it too soon to ask about the DN-19 and 3C and the Beyer XP# ?

Yes. I literally have not listened to them beside for making sure they function properly.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #824 of 1,242
Clieos, could you make a short comparision btwn the DN-19 and 3 Ic-s. what´s the sound and which is better?
thanks

My 3 IC-S is broken so I am waiting for a new pair to come in. My early impression of it is quite positive, but I didn't get to the point where I could compare it with another IEM.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #825 of 1,242
Sony XBA-1 and XBA-4 added.

-----------------------------------------------------

XBA1.jpg

Mid-09. Sony XBA-1 (link)
Mellowed and specious mid centric sound with slight roll-off at both ends. Calling it a mid centric sound might be a bit misleading without further explanation – XBA-1 isn’t very strongly mid dominant or forward at all (hence ‘mellowed’), just that the mid range is the strength of its overall presentation - good texture and detail, not particular sweet in tone but good in vocal. Treble is decently crisp and clean, but rolls just a tiny bit off on the very top of the spectrum, over the 16kHz region. Bass extends decently low, but slowly rolls off in the sub-bass region. It is decent in quantity, but nothing that will appeal to basshead. The ‘visual’ reference of the frequency response will be best described as generally flat in the mid but tapered off at both ends. Soundstage is actually quite good since the overall presentation is a bit on the more mellowed and laid back side, which give a lot of space. As far as the whole presentation goes, XBA-1 is the kind that does nothing wrong, but also nothing spectacularly well. As a single BA, the level of performance is still very admirable and definitely some of the best among sub-$100 single BA.
Pro: Price. Build quality.
Con: None.

XBA4.jpg

Warm+Sweet-08. Sony XBA-4 (link)
Mellowed mid with a strong bass and better extended treble – warm, decently sweet, full bodied yet still good in soundstage. Bass reaches down to 20Hz easily, but deep end rumble isn’t very obvious due to the equally strong mid-bass region that gives more body than roar. Mid, as said, carries the same mellow’ish presentation that has good texture and detail but not particularly upfront. Treble extends all the way up and offer good sparkles and crispiness, mainly as a supporting role in the whole presentation rather than standing out as an element on its own. It can however sound a little metallic when the volume is turned too high. The good news is that it doesn’t have any sibilance issue at all, making it the first top-end Sony since EX700 that isn’t plagued by over-brightness and actually sounds rather smooth. Soundstage, like XBA-1, benefits from the same mellowed and laid back tuning and actually is pretty good as well. As a quad BA, XBA-4 technically isn’t quite as strong as other quad like the Westone 4 (which is almost US$300 more expensive). However, XBA-4 offers a very unique tuning of its own - reminiscence of a closed-back circumaural that is smooth, relaxing, and often musical – hours and hours of listening can easily go by without any stress on the listener, and that’s the strength of XBA-4.
Pro: Quad drivers. Build quality. First sibilance-less top Sony.
Con: Low impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back