Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Oct 17, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #826 of 1,242
If I am looking for huge subbass, ok midbass, nonrecessed mids, and extended but non-harsh highs.
what is the closest I can get to that kind of sound at a price point of $150 or lower?

as an added note, I liked the sound of the JVC FXT90 but it's highs were harsh to my ears and the mids were very evidently colored sounding.
If I could avoid these two (or just the harsh highs), it would be great.

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #827 of 1,242
Quote:
If I am looking for huge subbass, ok midbass, nonrecessed mids, and extended but non-harsh highs.
what is the closest I can get to that kind of sound at a price point of $150 or lower?

as an added note, I liked the sound of the JVC FXT90 but it's highs were harsh to my ears and the mids were very evidently colored sounding.

The Atrio MG7 might fit the bill, amazing sub-bass and balanced mids and highs but one downside is an average soundstage though I didn't think it was as small as many others did.

Oct 17, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #828 of 1,242

Colored as in what way?

If you can rise your budget a bit more, the TDK IE800 would be a great choice. Other wise, DUNU DN-19 Tai Chi should be a good choice as well. If you like the general JVC sound, the FXD80 also fit you need and has great value since you can get it from eBay for less than $100 now. It does sub-bass quite well and doesn't have any sibilance issue.

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #829 of 1,242
Any thoughts on the CKM50 performance? ever had the chance to sample them? one of the drivers in the right earpiece of my UM3X died.. I'm hoping to get a temporary replacement IEM and the CKM50 caught my attention as a budget temp.. was hoping to get your opinion on them.. :)

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #830 of 1,242
Unfortunately I have not heard any of the CKM series

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #831 of 1,242
Quote:
Unfortunately I have not heard any of the CKM series

But you've heard the UM3X? :D

I trust your reviews a lot, you're reviews for RE0s are what drove me to get them. And I didn't regret it, i did love the sound but it just breaks too easily as the build isn't so good.. if you've heard the UM3X, would you happen to have a budget recommendation to temporarily take its place? :)

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #832 of 1,242
But you've heard the UM3X? :D

I trust your reviews a lot, you're reviews for RE0s are what drove me to get them. And I didn't regret it, i did love the sound but it just breaks too easily as the build isn't so good.. if you've heard the UM3X, would you happen to have a budget recommendation to temporarily take its place? :)

Not sure how budget you want to go. If it is under $50, try SoundMAGIC E30. If it is under $100, SE215 is a good choice. I also have a more wild card recommendation - the Sony MH1 smart headset. It can work just like any IEM but you need to be sure not to get the 'LiveSound' version of it that was designed for the old Sony Ericsson cellphone. What you want is the newer, for Sony only model. The review of it will be posted in next few days, if you interested.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #834 of 1,242
Sony MH1C / Sony Ericsson MH1 Added.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

MH1.jpg

Warm+Sweet-09. Sony MH1C / Sony Ericsson MH1 (link)
Warm and sweet, and well balanced in all frequencies. Bass extends down to 10Hz and hits with really good quantity and quality. Not the fastest or biggest impact around, but nothing to be ashamed of even among bass monster. Mid is sweet and right in the butter zone to give the right balance of intimacy and texture while still maintains a good sense of layer and space. Treble extends up to the very top, but it is more about smoothness than it is brightness. While analytical listeners might not find the sparkle or crispiness to be enough for their taste, it still however compliments the mid and bass impeccably and doesn’t feel lacking in anyway. Soundstage is rather good. By no mean the best of the best or endlessly large, it does portrait width and depth in a very 3D, well layered and resolving manner within its own confine. An excellent multi-genre all-arounder.
Pro: Price. Build quality. Even better value than EX600.
Con: Flat over-the-neck asymmetrical cable design.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #836 of 1,242
Because the picture of the TRS plug is taken from the MH1 that comes with MW1 Wireless Smart Headset pro (which will be reviewed next), while the TRRS L-plug is used on the regular wired LiveSound / Smart Headset. I just don't want to keep taking pictures everytime so I used the picture I took earliest (the one with the TRS plug).

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #838 of 1,242
All version of MH1 sound the same. The MH1 on MW1 has been shorten to only included the earpiece, as MW1 is a bluetooth unit with its own mic.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #840 of 1,242
Quote:
Sony MH1C / Sony Ericsson MH1 Added.
MH1.jpg

Warm+Sweet-09. Sony MH1C / Sony Ericsson MH1 (link)
Warm and sweet, and well balanced in all frequencies. Bass extends down to 10Hz and hits with really good quantity and quality. Not the fastest or biggest impact around, but nothing to be ashamed of even among bass monster. Mid is sweet and right in the butter zone to give the right balance of intimacy and texture while still maintains a good sense of layer and space. Treble extends up to the very top, but it is more about smoothness than it is brightness. While analytical listeners might not find the sparkle or crispiness to be enough for their taste, it still however compliments the mid and bass impeccably and doesn’t feel lacking in anyway. Soundstage is rather good. By no mean the best of the best or endlessly large, it does portrait width and depth in a very 3D, well layered and resolving manner within its own confine. An excellent multi-genre all-arounder.
Pro: Price. Build quality. Even better value than EX600.
Con: Flat over-the-neck asymmetrical cable design.

How do these compare to IEMs in the 100-150$ bracket?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back