Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Feb 23, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #16 of 1,242
Excellent. It's a great idea to bunch IEMs by way of signature, which makes it much easier to narrow down based on preference (though there may be some disagreements with the classification). I like this format much better than the previous threads.

PS: Looks like you will do your 100th IEM review soon :)

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #17 of 1,242
Thanks for all the comments, guys. I have the idea of writing a thread like this for a while now but it is just too difficult to put it onto paper (or MS Word in this case). Glad it is finally done, well almost, just need to keep update it for now.

Quote:
ElcomeSoft said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

EDIT: With such an extensive list of IEM's, I would suggest using an index system similar to |joker|'s to help people 'f'ind an individual pair of monitors quicker and easier. Not sure if you've already got that in mind, as you're still building this masterpiece :)

The whole thread is self-indexed since it is based on ranking from 'the list', then categorized into different sound signature. The problem with re-indexing an already double-indexed list is that it becomes kind of a challenge in future update, since I'll have to redo most of the index every time a new IEM cut into the middle or front of any of the list. That's why I haven't done it yet. I'll give it a try and hopefully it is not as difficult as I thought it would.

Quote:
tan1415 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

... I must say that it surprised me that you rate the m2 as mid sounding iem instead of bass oriented. same with the m9.I found those heavy on bass. Makes me curious to the bass iem.

Some time there is really no right or wrong way to categorize a particular IEM as it could fall into the gray zone between multiple sound signature (so it is right and wrong either ways). Times like that I just go with instinct and pick up what seems to grab my attention the most in the overall presentation. That's how I reach my conclusion of which group they belong to.

Quote:
PS: Looks like you will do your 100th IEM review soon :)

95 in the thread now but already scheduled to 108th, and more to come in the next few weeks.
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #18 of 1,242
Quote:
The whole thread is self-indexed since it is based on ranking from 'the list', then categorized into different sound signature. The problem with re-indexing an already double-indexed list is that it becomes kind of a challenge in future update, since I'll have to redo most of the index every time a new IEM cut into the middle or front of any of the list. That's why I haven't done it yet. I'll give it a try and hopefully it is not as difficult as I thought it would.

If each IEM is given an arbitrary index number as it is added to the list (Ba001 for the Sennheiser CX300, as an example), a 'f'ind function picks up that number in the Balanced signature section, where you have all of your amazing information, and also in the list, where people can immediately compare it against other products.

Just how I see it, looking from the outside. Being involved in stats, analysis and lists in the past, I know it can look and feel much different from the inside :)

On a side note, I am wondering whether your List can be created on a Google Docs spreadsheet and be imported directly into a Head-Fi post. That would enable custom sorting features for end-users, something that is especially ideal when comparing two very close competitors. I did that with the RE0 and the Sunrise Xscape, a very difficult choice :)

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #19 of 1,242
Feb 23, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #20 of 1,242
Suggestion: Why dont you link your blog? You have all your reviews there.
Also liked the the article you had about explaining the difference between sound from regular speakers and IEMs.
really helped me understanding the difference, great info for nublets,

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #21 of 1,242
This is an awesome thread ClieOS =]

Though I imagine you will soon start having to tear your hair out figuring out where some particular IEM's fit in particular categories, or deserve whole new ones. Maybe you could treat it like musical genres, and put some options in a catch-all "alternative" category heh.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #22 of 1,242
Great thread ClieOS! Threads like this make head-fi the great place that it is for us noobs!

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #23 of 1,242
Joker's thread and this one should be stickied so that it's the first thing new users who want to buy IEM's see!

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #24 of 1,242
I agree with the sticky idea. Being a (pretty much) complete newcomer to IEMs, these types of threads and reviews really help to sort personal preferences and really help to decide which direction to begin. Thanks a lot.

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #26 of 1,242

Quote:
Though I imagine you will soon start having to tear your hair out figuring out where some particular IEM's fit in particular categories, or deserve whole new ones. Maybe you could treat it like musical genres, and put some options in a catch-all "alternative" category heh.

I imagine clieOS has already done the 'tearing hair out' part with some of the IEMs in the list. Alternative 'catch all' could lead to hair tearing for the readers. Better be clieOS' hair than mine
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #27 of 1,242
Hi clieOS

That is one excellent guide you have put together.

It has really settled my mind on getting a pair of the RE-262's

I have a pair of x10's and a RE-Zero already but really want to get my hands on the 262's

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #28 of 1,242
Thanks again.

Quote:
Suggestion: Why dont you link your blog? You have all your reviews there.
Also liked the the article you had about explaining the difference between sound from regular speakers and IEMs.
really helped me understanding the difference, great info for nublets,

Sure, I will link some of them here.

Quote:
I imagine clieOS has already done the 'tearing hair out' part with some of the IEMs in the list. Alternative 'catch all' could lead to hair tearing for the readers. Better be clieOS' hair than mine

Yeah, as much as I like to spend some time listen to different IEM, sorting through all 95 pair of them is already a bit too much. I won't want to do it in a couple of months.
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #30 of 1,242
Thanks for the effort dude.

A few of us should try and have a get together over at the weekends in SG when you're down to have a friendly chatter and maybe a toast or two if the chance allows =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back