Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Oct 25, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #301 of 1,242
wow, that's some fantastic info thank you!!

I think that may actually not be too much of a problem for the sort of music I listen to, my iTunes EQ setup is pretty much an enormous V already, so maybe I could actually run it flat lined for once with these. Thank you once again for the feedback, hugely appreciated. Now I just need to motivate myself to pull some all nighters on freelance to round up the money :)

On a purely out of interest note, do you work in a store that has access to all these, or do you actually buy every pair you test?

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #302 of 1,242
ClieOS thanks for your advice, I went ahead and purchased the SuperDarts. Really pleased with the sound. It pretty much address any issues I had with my etymotic HF2's which are still very enjoyable but lacked a bass depth and snap. Build quality is great and I particularly like the kevlar coated cable, which does not tangle.

I'm finding I'm getting more treble detail with the SuperDarts, very crisp and well defined, as well as the increase in bass presence. Presumably the V-shape works for my tastes! The sound is now much more similar to my home hi-fi setup (Bel Canto integrated and Monitor Audio GS20s). I haven't taken a look at the impedence etc. for the darts, do you think they would benefit from a small amp like the Fiio E6 (with LOD to iphone)?

Mark/Crezo - I had the same issue with no possible testing in Apple; however I was assured by several members of staff that I could return them within 14 days - even if opened and used. By the sound of your musical tastes they may work well. I had tried the sennheiser IE8s previously to get some more bass (which allow you to adjust it) - I don't know if you have considered these at all. The bass in huge, but they definitely lack detail in the highs compared to the superdarts and I personally felt the bass muddied the midrange (even on the lowest adjustable bass setting on the headphone).

Boffinboy

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #303 of 1,242
Quote:
sorry my low english level, but can you translate that? pls

It means you might have to settle with the one with the least cons.

Quote:
On a purely out of interest note, do you work in a store that has access to all these, or do you actually buy every pair you test?

As of now, about 1/3 of all the headphones I own are of my own money. The rest are free samples sent to me for review, either from the manufacturer or dealer. If any of my full review starts with a thank you note, those are free samples. I am keeping all of them to build up a reference library (unless they are loan unit). I also visit Singapore a few times a year to audition headphone on a few Singapore headphone stores where I do most of my shopping. I know those store well so I get to try some of their most expensive headphone, but in general they will let anyone try most of the headphone they have (that's the one cool thing about Singapore headphone stores). In case you are wondering - my job has nothing to do with headphone. I am helping out in the family own small bakery.

Quote:
ClieOS thanks for your advice, I went ahead and purchased the SuperDarts. Really pleased with the sound. It pretty much address any issues I had with my etymotic HF2's which are still very enjoyable but lacked a bass depth and snap. Build quality is great and I particularly like the kevlar coated cable, which does not tangle.

Glad to know you like it. SuperDarts is quite efficient and you don't really need an amp for it. I tried several amps and there is really not much to gain.

Oct 25, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #304 of 1,242

Quote:
Quote:
sorry my low english level, but can you translate that? pls

It means you might have to settle with the one with the least cons.

oh!! so that what it means! (sounded like a curse)
yea, that's the wisest thing. but unfortunately all of them were a big NO.

i guess i will give a try to the TD and/or A151. if those wont work for me , then i'll get the RE0 again. their sound is a WOW

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #305 of 1,242

Quote:
Quote:
hope my question doesnt bother but i was wondering for a short while, how do you rate the SQ score? what do you take in count?

All the usual stuffs: Treble, mid, bass, extension, texture, detail / sparkle, thickness, sound signature, soundstage, and sometime, the synergy.

I burn each one in (generally 50 hours, if not more), then listen to it on either Fuze + amp or Cube C30 normally for random music (mood dependent) and finally listen to it on FooBar2K + 3MOVE on specific songs. I usually will do a quick comparison when I first started to listen to it, then a final comparison when it is on 3MOVE - I will compare it to multiple pairs of IEM that I think have the closest SQ until I find a group / rating of IEM that I feel comfortable to place it into - and that will be the rating I will give it. It usually takes minimum two weeks for the whole process, if not much more. I usually switch between several set of IEM on different days to better feel the difference, plus some days off when I don't listen to any of them as (1) I simply doesn't have the time to listen to music or (2) trying to wear off the first impression, which can be (more) biased. After I have a basic opinion and rating on each IEM, I often go and search for other's impression and review and see how they are different from mine - this is to reconfirm / justify the reason for why I give a certain rating to an IEM (= it is a process of questioning myself why I give such a rating). In between, I'll also start to research into the background of the IEM (as some IEM are purposely built for certain usage while some are just for music) and try to understand how it plays a role in the sound and how it will affect the user experience / final score. Basically I want to rate each IEM based on user experience rather than simply listen + impression, and that's how a SQ score is produced.

sorry , i almost forgot about this post!
thanks about this detailed reply. i know i wouldnt go that far for rating a iem sound. this adds more appreciation for this big thread

Oct 27, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #306 of 1,242
Fischer Audio Mighty Bug, FA-977 Jazz, Ceramique, Paradigm v.3, Consonance, Tandem and SBA-03 added.

Consonance.jpg

Balanced 5.    Fischer Audio Consonance (link)
Mildly U-shaped sounding with strong bottom end. Bass reaches down deep and quite abundant, though more on the 110Hz region making it not quite as boomy as one would think with that much bass. It also helps to maintain a better level of texture even though it is not particular fast or hard hitting. Mid, while slightly recessed in the whole presentation, is still quite warm and lush on its own, just not particularly sweet and upfront. Treble shows decent sparkles, not analytical by any means but still more than average with a decent sense of crispiness and micro detail. Soundstage is quite good, as expected from a U-shaped sound. It is airy and open with good separation, though the bass fullness does limit how far it can go. Consonance is one of the most versatile in the new line-up. While it is U-shaped sounding, the overall presentation is lively and fun with just the right balance between bass, mid, treble and soundstage. It is technically proficient and doesn’t seem to be lacking in any particular region. That is perhaps the great strength of Consonance.
Pro: Overall proficiency. Accessories. Price.
Con: Microphonics.

SBA03.jpg

Mid 6.    Fischer Audio SBA-03 (link)
Classic Shure sound that is warm and mid centric with a good vocal performance. Different from Tandem’s lushness, what SDA-03 offers are speed and resolution that you can expect from a balanced armature. While bass lacks good texture due to its neutral quantity, it has good impact and speed. It will never win a basshead IEM shootout, but the performance is still admirable among single BA except perhaps when compared to the new type of single BA used in Ortofon’s and Grado’s. Mid is full, warm, slightly sweet and definitely creamy. Upper mid / lower treble has just enough edge to keep thing interesting without sounding overly bright. Treble is well extended, smooth with a decent amount of micro detail and sparkle. Not sparkly per se, but with just enough crispiness not to dull string instruments – though analytical it is not. When compared to other IEM that shares a classic Shure’s sound, like Philips SHE9850, the difference for SBA-03 is the grander / lusher (*while not over-the-top) of the overall presentation. While it is still not quite as good as Shure’s own SE530, SBA-03 is certainly giving it a good run for its money. To get a conventional single BA sounding this close to a flagship triple drivers in the old days itself is already an accomplishment on its own, certainly worthy to be called the second flagship of FA’s current line-up.
Pro: None.
Con: None.

Tandem.jpg

Mid 7.    Fischer Audio Tandem (link)
Warm, mid centric sound from its dual drivers. Bass is a bit more than average in quantity and decent in quality. It has decent speed and shown some impact, but it won’t please basshead especially since it begins to roll off gently under 100Hz. Mid is dominating but not aggressive, full and lush in a sense but not particularly sweet or upfront. It is very well layered yet doesn’t give the usual extra-separation that dual drivers tend to have. It has good balance between smoothness and texture, almost trying to make vocal sweet but without being obvious about it. It certainly doesn’t sound quite like dual drivers to the ears yet it handles layer better than most single driver ever could. Treble extends decently upward though missing most of the top end sparkle and crispiness, making the overall presentation smooth and not particularly good for instruments such as strings and brass. It also lacks really good air and thus soundstage, which could have been better because of the ability to handle layer, only sounds decent at the end. This is why Tandem sound curious to the ears. It is a dual driver that doesn’t sound quite like a dual driver, yet it does show trait of dual driver in places least expected. Overall, Tandem is still quite a good sounding IEM for vocal listener seeking for warmth and smoothness. But those who want to find dual driver wow factor from Tandem might be disappointed.
Pro: Dual driver. Accessories.
Con: Microphonics
FA977.jpg

Mid 11.    Fischer Audio FA-977 Jazz (link)
Mostly neutral with slight warmness on the mid with decent detail and good soundstage, much like a tuned-down SW-Xcape but with a little more forwardness. Bass has decent impact and speed but quantitatively smaller than average and roll off gently under 100Hz. Mid is slightly sweet and lush with good texture on the vocal, placed just a little forward but still shows good sense of space. Treble extends well right to 16k with good sparkle and micro-detail. While it might not be classified as being analytical, it is above average. Soundstage is above average with a sense of openness, but better on width than it is on depth.
Pro: Wood housing.
Con: Big housing.

Ceramique.jpg

Warm + Sweet 9.    Fischer Audio Ceramique (link)
Warm and sweet, not nearly as crisp but grander overall. Bass reaches down deep and a little boomy around the 250Hz region. While it is quantitatively above average, it is neither particularly fast nor hard hitting, but good in presenting body and depth which let the slight bass bleed acceptable. Mid is warm, sweet and on the full side. Like CC51, it is distanced but not recessed and has a better sense of space and layer. Treble is well extended but a step behind the mid and bass. While it might not be as crisp as CC51, the amount of detail and sparkle are still enough not to feel lacking. As like treble in CC51, it acts more as an accentuation rather than an element of its own, though milder in presentation and gives a smooth and cozy impression. Soundstage is rather good even with the slightly boomy bass as the overall presentation feels grander than that of CC51 yet still remains intimate. Despite suffering from issues on build and design, Ceramique is still able to hold up on its own in sound quality. The warm and cozy sound signature is particular good for a laid back, relax listening session.
Pro: Ceramic housing
Con: Weight. Poor cable design. No left /right mark. One size fit all eartips. Not for small ears.

paradigm3.jpg

Warm + Sweet 10.    Fischer Audio Paradigm v.3 (link)
Warm, sweet, full and smooth. Bass is not large but has good depth, body and decent hit when called for. Mid, like X-IE, is lush and well rounded but more upfront. Not the best textured vocal but it is smooth, full and intimate. Treble has good sparkle and detail but a half step back behind the mid, lacks the up most crispiness. Soundstage is decent. Not quite as airy as X-IE due to the more forwarded mid, but it becomes more enveloping. While Paradigm v.3 also has a kind of relaxing sound as Ceramique, the main difference is that Paradigm v.3 is more neutral in presentation and thus ever slightly more laid back that the fuller / lusher sounding Ceramique. While both will make great choice for fatigue-free listening, Paradigm v.3 perhaps is better for care-free / background listening.
Pro: Microphonics.
Con: Housing can be slightly large.

MightyBug.jpg

Warm + Sweet 24.    Fischer Audio Mighty Bug (link)
Warm, full, rich and smooth sounding. Bass is just a tad on the boomy side with good quantity and decent quality. While it reaches down really deep, most of the time it is the upper bass that is a little over dominating and lose out some of the texture. The same fullness also extends upward to the mid, which gives a rich tone to the vocal though fortunately, not at the cost of making vocal muddy. Treble extends decently to near 16kHz, shows sparkles but smooth overall and lack a sense of crispiness. Soundstage is only average. The fullness on the bass and low mid and the lacking of air on the treble limit the feeling of space, though not bad enough to make it sounds 2D. Might Bug is pretty much a smooth and fun sounding IEM that pairs well with colder sounding source like iPod, tailored more toward the younger generation.
Pro: Tiny.
Con: Not for big ear canal.

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #307 of 1,242
hi clieos
what's your prediction about the brainwavz m4? from i've read it's seems to be a balanced sig
and  do you think it can stand a chance compared to the RE0+E11 combo (my prob future gears)? if any on that price range could....

anyway ,the $50 early price seems to be very attractive. and brainwavz buld quality is not dissapointing too

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #309 of 1,242

Quote:
hi clieos
what's your prediction about the brainwavz m4? from i've read it's seems to be a balanced sig
and  do you think it can stand a chance compared to the RE0+E11 combo (my prob future gears)? if any on that price range could....

anyway ,the $50 early price seems to be very attractive. and brainwavz buld quality is not dissapointing too

I received my M4 sample yesterday and yes, it does have a mild U-shaped sound. I don't think it is capable of rivaling RE0 on overall detail and treble presentation, but it has a much more fun and hard hitting bass that RE0 + E11 can't match. I definitely prefer M4 to all other M series so far but technically I think it is still below B2. I haven't burn it in yet so I am not going to say how good it really is just yet. For the price however I think it is a no-brainer.

Quote:
Another very informative thread and very well put together.  Will be using this for future purchases.  Thanks!

Cheer.

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #310 of 1,242

Quote:
Quote:
hi clieos

I received my M4 sample yesterday and yes, it does have a mild U-shaped sound. I don't think it is capable of rivaling RE0 on overall detail and treble presentation, but it has a much more fun and hard hitting bass that RE0 + E11 can't match. I definitely prefer M4 to all other M series so far but technically I think it is still below B2. I haven't burn it in yet so I am not going to say how good it really is just yet. For the price however I think it is a no-brainer.

so, should we expect a RE-Zero rival then? i wonder how are the mids compared to the zero. the 0 mids were pretty good to my taste, and i guess the zero's are even better
but i really hope it doesnt sound like the Xcited at all

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #311 of 1,242
Any chance of doing a review on Fischer Audio Genesis?

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #312 of 1,242

Quote:
so, should we expect a RE-Zero rival then? i wonder how are the mids compared to the zero. the 0 mids were pretty good to my taste, and i guess the zero's are even better
but i really hope it doesnt sound like the Xcited at all

It is not a direct competitor of RE-ZERO or Xcited just yet, at least not in its current state.

Quote:
Any chance of doing a review on Fischer Audio Genesis?

No such plan at the moment.

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #313 of 1,242
hi
need advice before ordering
E11 + RE0 vs E11 + RE-ZERO
RE0 + E11 seems pretty good. 
how about RE-ZERO + E11 ? the zero dont seem to need amping, but they're balanced-plug , which the E11 can handle
tnks

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #314 of 1,242
If it is about pairing, I prefer RE0+E11 over RE-ZERO+E11. RE0 benefits more from amping than RE-ZERO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back