Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Oct 7, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #271 of 1,242

Quote:
is correct if I say that the A151 is better than Xcape, but is less than the Gr07?
maybe the A151 is the right compromise was looking for, what do you think?

No, correct only in what I have quoted

A151 us a direct upgrade of PL50 sound signature wise, Xcape-IE in an upgrade for both PL50 and A151 for a general warm sound, and GR07 is an semi-upgrade for all three in term of overall SQ (but not in direct regarding sound signature). So PL50 < A151 < Xcape-IE < GR07.

Oct 7, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #273 of 1,242

Quote:
ok i think the best price/quality for me is xcape
thx
wher i find a good price the excape?

thx :)

The two main Sunrise sellers are both operating on eBay, so just do a search there and compare the price.

Oct 8, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #274 of 1,242

Quote:
The two main Sunrise sellers are both operating on eBay, so just do a search there and compare the price.

buy from ebay at 70 euros, I did not find lower prices.
when I arrive I have to run the burn-in, right?
better if you use pink noise - white noise or if the average volume used to listening to music with the Fuze?
What's the best way? I read that use the headphone output of a PC is not 'correct ..
thx

Oct 8, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #275 of 1,242

Quote:
buy from ebay at 70 euros, I did not find lower prices.
when I arrive I have to run the burn-in, right?
better if you use pink noise - white noise or if the average volume used to listening to music with the Fuze?
What's the best way? I read that use the headphone output of a PC is not 'correct ..
thx

Just listen to it normally. If you want to burn it in first, put it on your PC and let music plays on moderate volume for 24 hours.

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #276 of 1,242
Added a list of IEM that are currently under review at 1st post, plus some random stuffs.

Also, here is a photo of some red hot IEM!

AFSD-16.jpg

You might already know the one on the right and on the top. The one you don't know - EXS X20 (dual BA) from S.Korea on the left and Atomic Floyd SuperDarts (BA + dynamic hybrid) on the bottom.

Oct 11, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #278 of 1,242

Quote:
You should give the PR401 another 0.1 
etysmile.gif

They sound wonderful!

They are also down to $70 at lendmeurears now

Good to know you like it. I really haven't had the time to update the price listing for the last few months, but I will be sure to do an overall update before the end of the year.

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #281 of 1,242

Quote:
hope my question doesnt bother but i was wondering for a short while, how do you rate the SQ score? what do you take in count?

All the usual stuffs: Treble, mid, bass, extension, texture, detail / sparkle, thickness, sound signature, soundstage, and sometime, the synergy.

I burn each one in (generally 50 hours, if not more), then listen to it on either Fuze + amp or Cube C30 normally for random music (mood dependent) and finally listen to it on FooBar2K + 3MOVE on specific songs. I usually will do a quick comparison when I first started to listen to it, then a final comparison when it is on 3MOVE - I will compare it to multiple pairs of IEM that I think have the closest SQ until I find a group / rating of IEM that I feel comfortable to place it into - and that will be the rating I will give it. It usually takes minimum two weeks for the whole process, if not much more. I usually switch between several set of IEM on different days to better feel the difference, plus some days off when I don't listen to any of them as (1) I simply doesn't have the time to listen to music or (2) trying to wear off the first impression, which can be (more) biased. After I have a basic opinion and rating on each IEM, I often go and search for other's impression and review and see how they are different from mine - this is to reconfirm / justify the reason for why I give a certain rating to an IEM (= it is a process of questioning myself why I give such a rating). In between, I'll also start to research into the background of the IEM (as some IEM are purposely built for certain usage while some are just for music) and try to understand how it plays a role in the sound and how it will affect the user experience / final score. Basically I want to rate each IEM based on user experience rather than simply listen + impression, and that's how a SQ score is produced.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #282 of 1,242
BeB 866B Red and 868 Silver added.

868B.jpg

Warm + Sweet 24.    Blue Ever Blue 868B Silver (link)
Warm and sweet with an added layer of forwardness and thickness to the 866B that makes it more aggressive and upfront. Fuller mid, intimate vocal and crisp treble with the side effect of borderline sibilant in lower treble and overly thick bass note, which begins to interfere with the rest of the presentation. The fullness also reduces the sense of air and thus lowering the soundstage to about average. While overall performance going from 866B to 868B is positive, it pretty much is three steps forward and two steps back and thus not quite a significant upgrade as one might want it to be. More suitable to those who are really into full forward sound that has a strong rumbling bass. When EQ’ed however, there are still a lot of potential left by simply lowering the sub-bass level for 3~6dB.
Pro: None.
Con: Price. Build quality. Packaging.

866B.jpg

Warm + Sweet 28.    Blue Ever Blue 866B Red (link)
Slightly warm and sweet yet remains fairly neutral with no particular emphasis on a certain frequency or the lack thereof.  In fact, the end to end extension is rather good for IEM in such price bucket. Bass reaches deep and slightly on the thick side, quantitatively not monstrous but overall larger-than-average. Occasionally it can become slightly too thick (which reduces the texture and resolution) on bass heavy music, but it is still enjoyable and not too offensive. Mid is warm and slightly full, but not overly sweet or forwarded. Vocal is very decently textured while still retains a sense of space between the singer and the listener. Treble, especially lower treble and upper mid, is clean and clear, giving a rather good highlight over female vocal without sounding sibilant. Upper treble is however slightly rolled off. There is still some sparkle, but really lacks a sense of crispiness. Soundstage is quite good with a clearly defined sense of air, separation and image. It might not have the best soundstage in the sub$100 category but combines with the evenness of its sound signature, it is remarkably good for slow and relaxing music like vocal jazz.
Pro: Soundstage, Technical proficiency.
Con: Build quality. Packaging.

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #283 of 1,242

With the PR401 in mind, is there another IEM out there that is not so pushed back in the mids? I'm not sure if I'm describing it correctly, but it feels as if there's a hollowness to the sound which could be from the V-shaped frequency, thus higher energy frequencies stick out to the ear more.

-1 step at 0.4 khz (Sony Walkman EQ)

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #284 of 1,242

Quote:

With the PR401 in mind, is there another IEM out there that is not so pushed back in the mids? I'm not sure if I'm describing it correctly, but it feels as if there's a hollowness to the sound which could be from the V-shaped frequency, thus higher energy frequencies stick out to the ear more.

-1 step at 0.4 khz (Sony Walkman EQ)

That's why I categorized PR401 to be balanced sounding. I am really not sure if this will be the most correct recommendation - you can try MEElec CC51. You will lose a portion of the wide soundstage of PR401 in exchange of a more mid forwarded sound. I won't call it upgrade, they are pretty much on par of each other SQ wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back