Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 23, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #8,896 of 75,202
I really do want to like the Red Demun, but man that cable is a pain.  I don't find the ear fins comfortable, but it's the only way they will stay in.

Aug 23, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #8,897 of 75,202
listening to senn's mx170's monk+ foams and 10 bass to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvKHjTIjiFM&feature=youtu.be&t=2m49s&ab_channel=PulsarRecordings

idk what say, they are just not what I expected from a earbud that was on sale over half price, they're not as bassy as t-music, but its there hitting the center of my head, (+10 bass to thank) and soundstage and the feeling of bigger headphones, if they were more comfortable, I probably use them more often

I'm also using the 75 ohm adapter, a bit of A/Bing revels no change not even a lower of volume, still using it, just because

these "reviews" opinions, always take them with a pinch of salt, I get easily exited, and sometimes exaggerate things, I just want to give my 2 cents on earbuds, that may or may not be helpful, I want to think of my self as being able to hear differences in the sound, but just not able to describe accurately what I am hearing

edit- the sennheiser mx170's are no longer sold where I bought them from

Aug 23, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #8,898 of 75,202

I'm a bit underwhelmed at the moment with the RX-1, but they've just got 2-3 hours burn-in yet. Hope they do get better.

Kinda agree!

RX1 sound signature and overall presentation may not produce immediate WOW factor for all kinds of genre/styles of music. I mainly use it to listen to vocal-centric music of 80's from Tamil language feature films that could be one of the reason for me liking these, OOTB.

For modern music (again Tamil language), I prefer Philips SHE3800 (more fun sounding).

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #8,899 of 75,202

I'm a bit underwhelmed at the moment with the RX-1, but they've just got 2-3 hours burn-in yet. Hope they do get better.

Kinda agree!

RX1 sound signature and overall presentation may not produce immediate WOW factor for all kinds of genre/styles of music. I mainly use it to listen to vocal-centric music of 80's from Tamil language feature films that could be one of the reason for me liking these, OOTB.

For modern music (again Tamil language), I prefer Philips SHE3800 (more fun sounding).

Philips SHE3800 is an earbud ? Link to buy please .

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #8,900 of 75,202

Yes, these are earbuds (has got the shells like Edifier H180). I doubt they are from original Philips brand, though. Build quality (and QC in general) is not very promising, nevertheless, the pair that I have received sounds extremely good for all kinds of music genres that I throw at them (has got V shaped sound signature yet still seems sounding very balanced across frequencies and are quite comfortable for my ears).

BTW, this is where I bought them from https://www.fasttech.com/product/1460600-philips-she3800-3-5mm-earphone (got to know about these, thanks to our resident earbuds aficionado @golov17 )

Cheers!

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #8,902 of 75,202
  I don't know if this is just me, but the soundstage has really opened up on the Cygnus after a lot of burn-in. It's really quite good now. I can hear instrument seperation and background vs foreground so clearly.

Yup, this is very normal. After 200 Hours of burn in on my Cygnus, separation and details are way way better than zero burn in time.The mids really opened up and sounded significantly less congested. 

Cygnus is probably the best all-rounder in my opinion

Hmm, for modern music like pop or hip hop or rnd, I would say Cygnus. But for me currently, I may still say that the Tomahawks, Monk, or the TY Hi-z is good all-rounders, with Tomahawks being my all-rounders.

But.....a very big but, now I seldom use any of those all rounder earbuds. It's been fulltime Mojito and part time RX-1 (Checking burn in progress) for me as my music collection only consists of orchestral, jazz, and piano works. 

Rose Mojito - great sound, low quality build for about 200 USD. Cannot push the plug to the end into left earbud. It is unsecured and prone to breakage left like this.

Try prying the pins apart or push them closer until you get a fit. I did not have an issue with my pair. Kindly make sure L and R markings are facing outwards.

same for me. cant push the plug fully. also be careful not to touch the "rose" wording or it may get smudged off as it did for me.

How did you manage to smudged them? I have been using and not to mention cleaning mine frequently with rubbing alcohol and the wording is still there.

Sorry for the OT

Vintage DAPs can be cheap. You can get a Creative Zen Touch for something like $20-30. Then it's very easy to change from HDD to flash memory with an adapter. With the right firmware (1.00.06) you can EQ the Zen Touch to sound VERY good. I have never heard harder hitting bass from a DAP than Zen Touch with bass EQ'd up a bit.

If you use original firmware, you are of course limited when it comes to codecs. Some might play ogg, but mostly the only option is MP3. If you want lossless then Wav is the only opition. For me, MP3 @320 kbps or VBR0 is transparent when I listen with earphones (on a stereo with speakers it might be different, though).

Usually I prefer older DAPs where Rockbox can be installed. It's the best firmware for a DAP that I've come across which allows the user to make just about any change they want.

But mainly my hobby of collecting older DAPs is just a hobby. It's cool to see how technical development slowly advances, and sometimes you can be surprised of just how good older DAPs can sound. For pure MP3 playback I do not think that any current audiophile DAP can beat Kenwood HD60GD9. Just an amazing organic and analogue but still detailed sound. Which is why I paid over 30 000 yen for one when I last went to Japan...

How about JVC/Victor Alneo? Are they good? Kenwood MP3 Players are just soooo expensive even on Taobao.......

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #8,903 of 75,202
Okay peeps, regarding Rose Technology's new and upcoming earbud Masya, there were some information which I have obtained after chatting with the owner of Rose.

The Masya is not meant to be a flagship earbud (which I think I mistaken mentioned them for)
The Masya is deemed to be a vocal earbud with better bass and a lusher mids
The Masya is less suitable for instrument
The Masya has a smaller soundstage than the Mojito's

For those of you who can read Chinese:

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #8,904 of 75,202
Already checked with both cables and both terminations. This is a problem with "blue" earbud socket". Very disappointing for hand made work. Thay should really work on "hand made" quality control.

This is unacceptable for me. I am trying to exchange left earbud. Let's see if I succeed.

Where did you get them from? I had an issue with one of my Mojitos rattling and sent them back for a new pair. I got them from Penon.

In addition to that, the build quality was more homemade rather than handmade. If this new pair (supposedly inspected by Rose) has issues as well, then I'm pretty sure I'm done with this brand.

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #8,905 of 75,202
OK, so my short take on Rose Mojito. For me this is the special ability earbud. When I listen to my favorite music, the music I know very well, I recognize immediately that a lot of things are not right. The soundstage is not right (yes, I am teleported to that big stadium gig - the same as in DIY Dual Drivers) and a lot of colorization is going on with musical instruments and the tonal balance is not right (thin sounding mds) but...

Yes, on the other hand Rose Mojito has this exeptional sound scene imaging, revealing a lot of details. It sounds great for all light genres like orchestral work and electronica, lighter jazz but I do not like it for heavier music like rock.

Next, my short take on Red De'mun. Do you remember vapman praising them so offten, starting with this post here?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/441400/earbuds-round-up/5580#post_12673694

So this is real thing. The one thing to remember is that vapman mixed up all the time Red De'mun with Edimun but in fact he has Red De'mun and Edimun is from different creator.

So I got Red De'mun (but never heard Edimun) and first off - for about 90 USD shipped I immediately jumped into Astrotec Lyra6 / Sennheiser MX 985 sound quality level and the price level which starts from 150 USD. And there is a good reason I mention MX 985 here - Red De'mun is closest to MX 985 sound from all earbuds that I have heard and maybe, just maybe, Red De'mun is better (what a blasphemy - I am just affraid to write it). 

Few more things to know about Red De'mon:

1. Build quality is top notch but the cable is thick and stiff - can be a problem on the go.

2. Red De'mon has this direct sound reproduction, presenting music as is. You will not find here "fun", airness, liquid mids, 3D broad soundstage or other qualities associated usually with earbuds.

Wow. May have to look into this one. Is this the earbud that can only be requested through Facebook (I'm not subscribed)?

Also, do you have issues with the earbuds staying in because of the thick cable?

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #8,906 of 75,202

How about JVC/Victor Alneo? Are they good? Kenwood MP3 Players are just soooo expensive even on Taobao.......

Just go to the source. Like Yahoo auction. But there you will find that Victor MP3 players are more expensive than Kenwood flash MP3 players. But Kenwood HDD MP3 players are the most expensive. They are more expensive than other brands, but I still think it can be worth the money.

I like the Alneo line of MP3 players but storage space is limited. Their HDD players were small (I think 6GB microdrive was the biggest size). For their flash players 8GB was the biggest size and there was no memory expansion slot.

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #8,907 of 75,202
Absolutely agree with you on Rose Mojito

Quote:
  OK, so my short take on Rose Mojito. For me this is the special ability earbud. When I listen to my favorite music, the music I know very well, I recognize immediately that a lot of things are not right. The soundstage is not right (yes, I am teleported to that big stadium gig - the same as in DIY Dual Drivers) and a lot of colorization is going on with musical instruments and the tonal balance is not right (thin sounding mds) but...

Yes, on the other hand Rose Mojito has this exeptional sound scene imaging, revealing a lot of details. It sounds great for all light genres like orchestral work and electronica, lighter jazz but I do not like it for heavier music like rock.

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #8,908 of 75,202
  Okay peeps, regarding Rose Technology's new and upcoming earbud Masya, there were some information which I have obtained after chatting with the owner of Rose.

The Masya is not meant to be a flagship earbud (which I think I mistaken mentioned them for)
The Masya is deemed to be a vocal earbud with better bass and a lusher mids
The Masya is less suitable for instrument
The Masya has a smaller soundstage than the Mojito's

For those of you who can read Chinese:

I will buy :)

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #8,909 of 75,202

Yes, these are earbuds (has got the shells like Edifier H180). I doubt they are from original Philips brand, though. Build quality (and QC in general) is not very promising, nevertheless, the pair that I have received sounds extremely good for all kinds of music genres that I throw at them (has got V shaped sound signature yet still seems sounding very balanced across frequencies and are quite comfortable for my ears).

BTW, this is where I bought them from https://www.fasttech.com/product/1460600-philips-she3800-3-5mm-earphone (got to know about these, thanks to our resident earbuds aficionado @golov17 )

Cheers!

Thanks,
I have ordered some Earbuds with Mic from Aliexpress, let see how they perform against Remax :)

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #8,910 of 75,202
Where did you get them from? I had an issue with one of my Mojitos rattling and sent them back for a new pair. I got them from Penon.

I got them via AE from HCK but I don't see here any seller fault. The box was sealed with foil and seemed to be intact. Already contacted HCK and so far they are trying to be helpfull. Let's see how it ends up.

Wow. May have to look into this one. Is this the earbud that can only be requested through Facebook (I'm not subscribed)?

Also, do you have issues with the earbuds staying in because of the thick cable?

I have contacted him via Facebook but he prefered e-mail contact so we have quickly swiched to e-mail. I can PM you his e-mail if you want.or read this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/441400/earbuds-round-up/5640#post_12675176

He will send you PayPal invoice for payment. I wish he could find cheaper shipping method because he insists on EMS which is quick (7 days to Poland) but not that cheap. With cheaper delivery method it would be real value hit.

As for cable - it helps a lot to use cable fastener and to wear it hat style :) When it is fastened like on the picture below I have no problems at all - they stay in my ears. But it also depends on personal fit so better think of it as a potential problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back