Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 23, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #8,911 of 75,470

I got them via AE from HCK but I don't see here any seller fault. The box was sealed with foil and seemed to be intact. Already contacted HCK and so far they are trying to be helpfull. Let's see how it ends up.

I have contacted him via Facebook but he prefered e-mail contact so we have quickly swiched to e-mail. I can PM you his e-mail if you want.or read this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/441400/earbuds-round-up/5640#post_12675176

He will send you PayPal invoice for payment. I wish he could find cheaper shipping method because he insists on EMS which is quick (7 days to Poland) but not that cheap. With cheaper delivery method it would be real value hit.

As for cable - it helps a lot to use cable fastener and to wear it hat style :) When it is fastened like on the picture below I have no problems at all - they stay in my ears. But it also depends on personal fit so better think of it as a potential problem.

Thanks for this!  Please PM me his email.  Yes, that shipping fee is steep!

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #8,914 of 75,470
  My opinion:

Monk > Ti Hi-Z 32 > Monk +

So I have not done it for myself and I was stuck at work so I did this for myself but thought I would share.  This is my opinion only and not "facts".  As a point of reference my favorite sound is an HD600 through a little dot MK3 tube amp.  I wish it extended a bit deeper in bass but the detail and smoothness is for me.

I compared the e600, monk+, TY Hi-Z HP32, rx1.  I did it through my phone(HTC m8) first but this is through the dragonfly black just to make sure there were no power/amp issues.  These are songs that I use to test most of my headphones so I know them well.  the order that I tried them was e600->monk+->Ty Hi-Z HP32->Rx1 so that I mixed up the strengths and didn't get "numb".  All with no eq and no foam.

Corinne Rae - Trouble Sleeping (Female Vocals)
     E660 - good bass but does not interfere.  Clear vocals and back up singers detailed but still harmonize.  Good detail in the highs.
     Monk+ -  bass is there but seems detail focus not impact focus.  Corrine more centered with harmony being a bit more separated but not distracting.  Highs feel just a step below vocals and can get lost.
    TY Hi-Z HP32- bass seems to bleed a bit into the vocals and seems "blended" vocals seems to have great details separately but blend together more.  highs present and detailed

RX1 - Vocals... "no" bass just the indication that they are there in the song.  detailed highs... saxophone really comes out with this.

I switched the order the E600 and Ty Hi-Z HP32 are too similar to have that separated for me.

Commodores - Easy (male vocals)
   RX1- Highs and Vocals.  every thing is represented with details.  Vocals nicely separated
   Monk + - Brought back that bass detail.  Vocals separated and clear.  highs clear
   TY Hi-Z HP32 - Bass with some good impact.  Feels like the mids are behind the bass and highs present in line with the vocals

E600 - Bass more in line with vocals highs also feel more balanced with good details

James Blake - The Wilhelm Scream (separation)

E600 - Good separation feels natural but not very wide. sound drifts naturally off

TY Hi-Z HP32 - feels very narrow not timed right( not sure how to describe it)

Monk + - Similar to the Ty Hi-Z HP32

RX1 - Widest separation but not crazy separated.  Rolls off nicely

ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed man (Rock)

RX1 - Nice soundstage and details on the guitar.  Male vocal feels hollow.  No congestion.

Monk + - More rounded sound but feels like the details are lost more on guitar.  Vocals feel fuller and less soundstage

TY Hi-Z HP32 - Bass impact, good solid sound.  Feels a bit congested and details get a bit lost in parts of the song.

E600 - better sound stage than the Ty Hi-Z HP32. a bit more balanced with mids being there.  Details not as great for guitar but a bit better than Ty Hi-Z HP32

Sukh Knight - Diesel not Petrol (BASS)
  E600 - Nice clean impactful bass that fades off nicely with an air to it.  muddy "sub bass"
  Ty Hi-Z HP32 - ... there is that sub bass. This is what this is for
  Monk + - detailed.  Oddly there was one drum that had really great impact but it felt out of place.  very "detailed" but not full bass
  RX1 - Sounds like the bass has a sore throat and just coughs the beat.  it is all there but like Airy.

Darius Rucker - Wagon Wheel (Multiple vocal harmony)
  RX1 - Each singer is distinct.  Great sounding vocals.  Banjo sounds great.
  Monk + - Female vocal is separate but male voice sometimes gets mixed.  better balance
  Ty Hi-Z HP32 - No real separation on the vocals.  Can here the differences but not where they sing the same
  E600 - The male vocals seems more separated than the female voices.  still blended together a bit more.

Overall impressions
Darkest -> Brightest
Ty Hi-Z HP32->E600->Monk+->RX1

Increasing Detail
Ty Hi-Z HP32->Monk+~~E600->Rx1

Unbalance to Balanced
RX1->Ty Hi-Z HP32->Monk+->E600

Bass Extension worst to best
RX1->Monk+->E600->Ty Hi-Z HP32

Trebble extension worst to best
Ty Hi-Z HP32->E600->Monk+->RX1

Mids worst to best
Ty Hi-Z HP32->Monk +->E600->RX1

If you want to analyze vocals and details... RX1
if you want to have bass extension.... Ty Hi-Z HP32
the compromise between those two is monk+ and E600 but I feel that E600 is the better compromise for me.

Not sound related but I found it interesting, the Ty Hi-Z HP32 are reverse polarized.  The earbuds stick to all the other earbuds while the others all repel each other.
the others all repel each other.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #8,916 of 75,470
Group review

Thanks James, that is useful to me. Just for clarity, I presume TiHZ is the TY Hi-Z?

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #8,918 of 75,470
Thanks, good review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back