Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 24, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #8,941 of 75,772
  Doesn't the Starlight have adjustable output impedance? You can use those jumpers sticking out of the sides to have the same effect as a resistance adapter. this should cut out the background hiss of more senseitive buds.

oh let me try that out tomorrow 

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #8,942 of 75,772
Doesn't the Starlight have adjustable output impedance? You can use those jumpers sticking out of the sides to have the same effect as a resistance adapter. this should cut out the background hiss of more senseitive buds.

Taken from the Garage 1217 website... "Variable output resistance, selectable from 2.5 to 70ohm"

Using your other buds with the Starlight will more then likely introduce noise more then improve the SQ. Just stick with the Zen 2 on the amp and AK Jnr with the lower impedance earbuds.

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #8,943 of 75,772
Taken from the Garage 1217 website... "Variable output resistance, selectable from 2.5 to 70ohm"

Using your other buds with the Starlight will more then likely introduce noise more then improve the SQ. Just stick with the Zen 2 on the amp and AK Jnr with the lower impedance earbuds.

and what about low impedence full size cans? like say 64 ohm

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #8,944 of 75,772
and what about low impedence full size cans? like say 64 ohm

Well 64ohm is fine just set it to the lowest output. 2.5ohm will be good for pretty much all your earbuds/headphones. Alot depends on the sensitivity aswell. Like planars etc. But seeing as your running dynamics its all good. You could swap between 2.5ohm and 70ohm when using your HD600s. See which you prefer.

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #8,945 of 75,772
Well 64ohm is fine just set it to the lowest output. 2.5ohm will be good for pretty much all your earbuds/headphones. Alot depends on the sensitivity aswell. Like planars etc. But seeing as your running dynamics its all good. You could swap between 2.5ohm and 70ohm when using your HD600s. See which you prefer.

thanks for the heads up

Aug 24, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #8,946 of 75,772
For output imp, the rough calculation is you want at least 8x on your earphones/headphones, right? I can never quite remember because it's never an issue for me.

Aug 24, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #8,947 of 75,772
For output imp, the rough calculation is you want at least 8x on your earphones/headphones, right? I can never quite remember because it's never an issue for me.

Congrats for your 3000+ posts :)
Happy Listening and Postings at Head-fi !

Aug 24, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #8,948 of 75,772
What does this 8x impedence thing mean? So if I have 64 ohm headphones, the output impedence should be 512 Ohm? Confused...

Aug 24, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #8,950 of 75,772
Allow me to clarify.  From what I remember, the rule for output impedance for amps works like this.  Let's say you have a 16 ohm earbud, you'd want the amp to be no more than 2 ohms ideally, which is why the original output impedance of the AK100 being I think it was 64 ohms caused such issues.  There are amps that go as low as .5 ohms that I'm aware of reading about, which means a 4 ohm earphone would be fine.  This is of course assuming I'm remembering the ratio correctly, and why you're hearing a bit of hiss with the Mojito.

Aug 24, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #8,951 of 75,772
Allow me to clarify.  From what I remember, the rule for output impedance for amps works like this.  Let's say you have a 16 ohm earbud, you'd want the amp to be no more than 2 ohms ideally, which is why the original output impedance of the AK100 being I think it was 64 ohms caused such issues.  There are amps that go as low as .5 ohms that I'm aware of reading about, which means a 4 ohm earphone would be fine.  This is of course assuming I'm remembering the ratio correctly, and why you're hearing a bit of hiss with the Mojito.
exactly.. there is no need to use 70ohms at all. Its way to high and he would be introducing un needed hiss and noise. Pretty sure the Mojo is 0.075ohms for its output and i never had one issue with hiss etc while owning it. The lower the better imo.

Aug 24, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #8,952 of 75,772
exactly.. there is no need to use 70ohms at all. Its way to high and he would be introducing un needed hiss and noise. Pretty sure the Mojo is 0.075ohms for its output and i never had one issue with hiss etc while owning it. The lower the better imo.

that is not how it works actually, sorry to say. the opposite would happen (noise and hiss would be reduced) This stuff is well documented though so there's no need to derail the topic too far on this particular subject.

Aug 24, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #8,953 of 75,772
that is not how it works actually, sorry to say. the opposite would happen (noise and hiss would be reduced) This stuff is well documented though so there's no need to derail the topic too far on this particular subject.

Lolwut? I am afraid your wrong..

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com.au/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html?m=1

Aug 24, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #8,954 of 75,772
Well...the Mojito's have found a new owner since I couldn't get them to fit my right ear. I'm gettin VE Zen 2.0 in return, so looking forward to that.

Right now I'm listening to TY Hi-Z 150Ohm's, not burned in yet, but nice deep bass and wide soundstage after an hour of listening. Have the 32ohms as well, but faulty connector on them so can't compare until I get a replacement.

Aug 24, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #8,955 of 75,772
  Well...the Mojito's have found a new owner since I couldn't get them to fit my right ear. I'm gettin VE Zen 2.0 in return, so looking forward to that.

Right now I'm listening to TY Hi-Z 150Ohm's, not burned in yet, but nice deep bass and wide soundstage after an hour of listening. Have the 32ohms as well, but faulty connector on them so can't compare until I get a replacement.

thanks for reporting in about the Hi-Z 150, i am more and more tempted to get one for myself :)

i ended up preferring a well amped Zen 2 to a well amped Mojito,  so you might end up happier with the Zen 2 easily if it's closer to the sound you're after. havng heard the 400 ohm Seahf, and knowing the TY and Seahf are more or less the same, you should be very happy with the zen
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back