Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 24, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #8,956 of 75,766

thanks for reporting in about the Hi-Z 150, i am more and more tempted to get one for myself :)

I was very interested in them until audio123 steered (shoved!) me in the direction of the RX-1. I hope he's right...
Oh well,  what's the worst that can happen?
etysmile.gif

Aug 24, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #8,957 of 75,766
Well...the Mojito's have found a new owner since I couldn't get them to fit my right ear. I'm gettin VE Zen 2.0 in return, so looking forward to that.

Right now I'm listening to TY Hi-Z 150Ohm's, not burned in yet, but nice deep bass and wide soundstage after an hour of listening. Have the 32ohms as well, but faulty connector on them so can't compare until I get a replacement.

Think you might have just sold another pair of the 150 ohm for penon. :)

Aug 24, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #8,958 of 75,766
Everybody, so what's that special about AuGlamour RX-1? Musical instruments tone, timbre and texture. Just try RX-1 with this new "Nels Cline - Lovers" album if you have access to streaming services. And then A/B compare RX-1 with Cygnus or other earbuds that you own. Also check if RX-1 has a chanse to compete with Zen 2.0 when listening to this album. I wonder what you will discover.

Aug 24, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #8,960 of 75,766
Not sound related but I found it interesting, the Ty Hi-Z HP32 are reverse polarized.  The earbuds stick to all the other earbuds while the others all repel each other.
the others all repel each other.

mine repel each other, only stick to each other when the middle sticks to the outer edge of the other earbud at an angle, 

in fact most earbuds do this even more the more time they are plugged in my stereo amp, like the magnetic force increases over time

with monk plus being the most magnetic of all my earbuds

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #8,961 of 75,766
My vx pro just arrived!:p

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #8,964 of 75,766
Aug 24, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #8,966 of 75,766
Ok so my plan was to test them all today but I think I am going to change it up after listening to a few songs I think I need to group them differently to test. 

Vocals
  RX1
  Koss KSC75
  Monk+

Balance/Neutral
  Monk
  E600
  H180p
  Remax 303

Bass
  TiHZ 32P
  Amazon Basics

Just some quick observations from today's listening so far

Amazon Basics have an amazing impact.  I think it is because they are like apple earpods and direct the sound a bit more.  I would say the extension is great but maybe not as clear.  I feel that I am not the person to really rate these as I do not find them enjoyable(ie not a basshead).

From my listening I think that the Monk and TiHZ do not sound similar.  The Monk does not have the bass impact that the TiHZ does and seems to focus more on the balanced with more treble extension than the TiHZ.  I would consider the TiHZ a Dark earbud and the Monk a more neutral balanced and the Monk+ as a brighter earbud.  I also think the difference is in soundstage.  the Monk is much wider(which was always one of the things I enjoyed about it), which I find much more enjoyable than the TiHZ(which is very small to me).  I also feel that the Monk is a bit more detailed but that could just be because it is brighter and tricking me.

If you like Bass the TiHZ is hands down better.  If you prefer the more neutral than the Monk wins with its better soundstage and presentation. 

Out of the headphones the TiHz and the amazon ones are the basshead ones.  I think if you do not care about details as much the amazon is much bassier and forceful with it. If you really like detail but not impact the Koss KSC75 have great extension/detail but it does not have that force behind it. Maybe if you messed around with the EQ it might be great.

I think the Koss KSC75 is the closest to the original monk sound I have heard.  I might even say it is an upgrade with slightly more soundstage, air and detail. Besides being very balanced I think the monk soundstage is really what sets it apart from the other earbuds.
Ok so now that the Amazon and TiHZ are out of the way I will work on the Neutral ones going back and forth.

Quickly I am not going to compare the Remax 303.  I am not sure why specifically but for every song it just seems like it sounds like on the other side of tissue paper.  Not sure if it a reverb, clarity issue, extension.  The sound is balanced, the details are there from what I can hear it just sounds wrong.

The monk, e600, and h180p all sound very similar except the monk just has this air and soundstage that is not found in the others.  The monk + just sounds less full and without the same soundstage.

Going to take a break as getting tired of hearing the same songs over and over again.

To be fair I might have to add to my preferred sound signature of smooth, neutral, natural, detailed(but not clinical), and a wide soundstage.  I have the Phillips SHP9500 that are crazy wide soundstage but that feels very artificial.  so a wide but not too wide soundstage.

Anyone have recommendations for that type of earbud?

Aug 24, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #8,969 of 75,766
I've been listening to my T-Musics for two days now and I'm really happy for the $10 I spent on them. Honestly in a lot of ways, they are superior to my PK1s that I've had for quite a few years. I guess earbud tech has progressed a decent amount since the PK1s first came out. When I got these even four years ago, they were really the only high end bud in the game.

I also have some Faaeal 64 ohms that were delivered today that I will have to evaluate as well. Then some Massdrop Monk Pluses to evaluate sometime in September. Eventually I need to step up to the next range of buds in the $30-50 range. Especially since I am going to have a Shanling M5 incoming sometime in the next week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back