Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 23, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #8,881 of 75,469
  I notice you collect DAP's. Is that really a worthy pursuit? DAP's can get quite expensive. Wouldnt it make more sense to collect amps/headphones?

Sorry for the OT

Vintage DAPs can be cheap. You can get a Creative Zen Touch for something like $20-30. Then it's very easy to change from HDD to flash memory with an adapter. With the right firmware (1.00.06) you can EQ the Zen Touch to sound VERY good. I have never heard harder hitting bass from a DAP than Zen Touch with bass EQ'd up a bit.

If you use original firmware, you are of course limited when it comes to codecs. Some might play ogg, but mostly the only option is MP3. If you want lossless then Wav is the only opition. For me, MP3 @320 kbps or VBR0 is transparent when I listen with earphones (on a stereo with speakers it might be different, though).

Usually I prefer older DAPs where Rockbox can be installed. It's the best firmware for a DAP that I've come across which allows the user to make just about any change they want.

But mainly my hobby of collecting older DAPs is just a hobby. It's cool to see how technical development slowly advances, and sometimes you can be surprised of just how good older DAPs can sound. For pure MP3 playback I do not think that any current audiophile DAP can beat Kenwood HD60GD9. Just an amazing organic and analogue but still detailed sound. Which is why I paid over 30 000 yen for one when I last went to Japan...

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #8,882 of 75,469
  The L marking on left sid eis not visible like the R marking, please check if you have put the L marking inwards.

Already checked with both cables and both terminations. This is a problem with "blue" earbud socket". Very disappointing for hand made work. Thay should really work on "hand made" quality control.

same for me. cant push the plug fully. also be careful not to touch the "rose" wording or it may get smudged off as it did for me.

This is unacceptable for me. I am trying to exchange left earbud. Let's see if I succeed.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #8,883 of 75,469
same for me. cant push the plug fully. also be careful not to touch the "rose" wording or it may get smudged off as it did for me.

Lol your kidding right? Those buds are $300 for me.. hell no would i pay for that kind of finish. Plugs dont align.. wording rubs off. Ridiculous. Thanks for mentioning these faults :) saved me quite alot of cash.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #8,884 of 75,469

Rose Mojito - great sound, low quality build for about 200 USD. Cannot push the plug to the end into left earbud. It is unsecured and prone to breakage left like this.

Lucky me, mine is working fine, no issue :D

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #8,885 of 75,469
Nothing new to add here, part of the reason i soldthem is for all those reasons.

the red blue old design also looked like it was 1 layer of paint on each bud, lol. paint on the metal and everything.... sounded like heaven but looked like a hazardous toy :frowning2:

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #8,886 of 75,469
Nothing new to add here, part of the reason i soldthem is for all those reasons.

the red blue old design also looked like it was 1 layer of paint on each bud, lol. paint on the metal and everything.... sounded like heaven but looked like a hazardous toy :frowning2:

But they look so beautiful on the webpage, I was very tempted to pull the trigger on one ... :frowning2:

Aug 23, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #8,887 of 75,469
With just over 12 hours of usage, RX1's overall clarity (a quality for which I am a sucker for, in my audio gears) has only appeared to have improved (for my ears/gears/musical preferences + possible brain burn-in). These fits/sits perfectly for my inner ear shape, no pain/discomfort (a common problem that I used to encounter with earbuds) even after 2 hours of continuous use. I am highly satisfied with this purchase.

This is how I would rate them (from my very small collection of earbuds) RX1 > Philips SHE3800 > TY HI-Z 32 > Monk > Philips SHE 1360

Aug 23, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #8,888 of 75,469
  With just over 12 hours of usage, RX1's overall clarity (a quality for which I am a sucker for, in my audio gears) has only appeared to have improved (for my ears/gears/musical preferences + possible brain burn-in). These fits/sits perfectly for my inner ear shape, no pain/discomfort (a common problem that I used to encounter with earbuds) even after 2 hours of continuous use. I am highly satisfied with this purchase.

This is how I would rate them (from my very small collection of earbuds) RX1 > Philips SHE3800 > TY HI-Z 32 > Monk > Philips SHE 1360

I'm a bit underwhelmed at the moment with the RX-1, but they've just got 2-3 hours burn-in yet. Hope they do get better.

I do have the Rose Mojito as well, and the buildquality on mine sems good. On the other hand I can't get them to fit on my right ear, so I'll probably move them on. They are very large buds... RX-1 are smallish but good fit, and Monk + style fit me perfect.

Aug 23, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #8,889 of 75,469

But they look so beautiful on the webpage, I was very tempted to pull the trigger on one ... :frowning2:
what you whining? excellent earbuds for their price, lol :wink:
13988017_1125122020915609_1526197377157915443_o.jpg

Aug 23, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #8,890 of 75,469
I watched 2 blu-ray movies yesterday with my T-music, a cheap movie and cgi movie, I used them with ps3 analog output hooked to my kenwood ax-31 stereo amp and boosted the bass to 10, even with that bass I could watch the movie like normal, I think they marketed these wrong, they shouldn't say "noise cancelling earbuds" they should of called these "movie bass earbuds"

but still even with all that bass in scenes, voices were nice and clear, I didn't have the same felling of imagining as I did with the rx-1's, but I can't say they lack in soundstage

the donuts foams they came with are a bit rough, other donut foams that I have from ty or monk felt way smoother, but after 3 hours, the size of the mx500 shell with dounts were too much for my ears, and took the foams off,

I kinda wish the mx500 shell wasn't as popular as it is, the shell on my she3800 feel way smaller and perhaps seal a bit better, but it might have a smaller driver, idk, I'm hoping the size of the cygnus are less fatiguing as everyone here has mentioned, weird how the yuing/cygnus shell isn't more popular than the mx500 shell

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #8,892 of 75,469
Originally Posted by luedriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

other donut foams that I have from ty or monk felt way smoother, but after 3 hours, the size of the mx500 shell with dounts were too much for my ears, and took the foams off,

I kinda wish the mx500 shell wasn't as popular as it is, the shell on my she3800 feel way smaller and perhaps seal a bit better, but it might have a smaller driver, idk, I'm hoping the size of the cygnus are less fatiguing as everyone here has mentioned, weird how the yuing/cygnus shell isn't more popular than the mx500 shell

I also find the Hi-Z 32 and Monk+ donuts to be high quality (the former are slightly thinner) and both comfortable. However, the MX500 shell seems to be a touch on the large side for long sessions which is one of the reasons I've gone for the RX-1. Currently I find the SQ of the Hi-Z better overall than Monk+ but I hope the RX-1 will top them in both comfort and SQ when they arrive.

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #8,894 of 75,469
OK, so my short take on Rose Mojito. For me this is the special ability earbud. When I listen to my favorite music, the music I know very well, I recognize immediately that a lot of things are not right. The soundstage is not right (yes, I am teleported to that big stadium gig - the same as in DIY Dual Drivers) and a lot of colorization is going on with musical instruments and the tonal balance is not right (thin sounding mds) but...

Yes, on the other hand Rose Mojito has this exeptional sound scene imaging, revealing a lot of details. It sounds great for all light genres like orchestral work and electronica, lighter jazz but I do not like it for heavier music like rock.

Next, my short take on Red De'mun. Do you remember vapman praising them so offten, starting with this post here?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/441400/earbuds-round-up/5580#post_12673694

So this is real thing. The one thing to remember is that vapman mixed up all the time Red De'mun with Edimun but in fact he has Red De'mun and Edimun is from different creator.

So I got Red De'mun (but never heard Edimun) and first off - for about 90 USD shipped I immediately jumped into Astrotec Lyra6 / Sennheiser MX 985 sound quality level and the price level which starts from 150 USD. And there is a good reason I mention MX 985 here - Red De'mun is closest to MX 985 sound from all earbuds that I have heard and maybe, just maybe, Red De'mun is better (what a blasphemy - I am just affraid to write it). 

Few more things to know about Red De'mon:
1. Build quality is top notch but the cable is thick and stiff - can be a problem on the go.
2. Red De'mon has this direct sound reproduction, presenting music as is. You will not find here "fun", airness, liquid mids, 3D broad soundstage or other qualities associated usually with earbuds.

Aug 23, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #8,895 of 75,469
I am back to Zen 2 again :D Please don't hit me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back