Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 13, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #20,731 of 75,209
Excellent and very interesting, thanks a lot!:gs1000smile: You've just saved me a bunch of money as I believe I'm not 2k-bump compatible. Which seems like a popular signature.

Please show us more when you have :deadhorse:

Edit: would be very interesting to see what the Ozkan mod does at that resolution. I've tried to capture with iphone+FFTplot, but results are a bit unclear. But I think it elevates at 1,5-2K. It seems to me, that filling either 1 or 2 different holes at the back of a mx500 all gives different results depending on which holes. Could be extremely helpful for tweaking with a small analysis of what it does.

Glad you liked the graphs. I just posed the same graphs but using the Vido as reference above. I will try to do some measurements of the Ozkan mod when I have the time... Hopefuly soon. I also want to measure the effects of a bunch of different foams.

Jun 13, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #20,734 of 75,209
Hi @ClieOS, could you please share some impression regarding Vidos? I've read a lot of things about them and apparently, they're one of the best budget options now, so, I'd like to know where you would fit them in your list.

Again, my Vido still requires a bit more burn-in. But as far as initial impression goes, it is surprisingly similar to the original Sennheiser MX500 in tuning, but overall seems to be a bit better as well. Pretty solid entry level earbuds as far as I concerned.

@ClieOS would you choose the Zen V2.0 over the Shozy Stardust and TY Hi Z 650?

No. My preference is Stardust > Zen 2.0 > HP-650.

Jun 13, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #20,735 of 75,209
Again, my Vido still requires a bit more burn-in. But as far as initial impression goes, it is surprisingly similar to the original Sennheiser MX500 in tuning, but overall seems to be a bit better as well. Pretty solid entry level earbuds as far as I concerned.

No. My preference is Stardust > Zen 2.0 > HP-650.

Thanks. Is there much difference between the Stardust than the Zen?

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #20,736 of 75,209

Stardust will be what I consider to be true flagship, champion level earbud; Zen 2.0 is more like second tier flagship / contender level; HP-650 is more like upper mid tier that isn't quite make it to the contender level.

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #20,738 of 75,209
Docomo is a good earbud, but I don't feel like it is anywhere near the level of ToTL yet. Same goes for DIY PK2. I have no idea whether Cygnus uses any of their drivers, but it certainly sound better, by a good margin.

@ClieOS thanks for your reply :smiley:. Perhaps @golov17 will have something to say about this (Docomo vs Cygnus NOS drivers) :hushed:!

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #20,739 of 75,209

IMO these sound so different it's almost like they speak different languages.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #20,740 of 75,209
Thanks for the detailed answer. For me, as long as the sound is clear and resolution is on point, minor differences in sound signature don't play a significant role (as long it is not detrimental to the overall sound - strong v-shape, muddy bass, harsh and sibilant, frequency peaks all over the place, too light on bass etc.). I guess I like balanced sound with wide soundstage, that is why earbuds might work for me better that IEMs, at least at home.
EMX500 is very cool. I love mine.

Jun 14, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #20,741 of 75,209
I agree, the Vido is for sure the best bargain I've had so far, but of course I haven't heard em all yet! haha.

I added a new graph showing the Shozy BK vs the SHE3800 with MP thin foams to my original post. I also made a bunch of new graphs from the same data showing all the buds vs the Vido as reference.

Thank you @slappypete for the graphs.

Could you point me to the Seahf 32 V1 Aliexpress link that you use in your comparison?

I'd like to check it out.

Thanks again.

Jun 14, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #20,743 of 75,209
No worry, I'll keep to posting short impression if nothing else.

On that note, just finish listening to both Shozy BK / Stardust and Cygnus LE (with a side serving of regular Cygnus) - I think overall I'll say the two are nearly equal in SQ, but with a rather different presentation. BK really has more or less a mature / smooth yet fairly all-accomplishing sound, especially when driven balanced. Some might have called it being a bit too neutral, which I don't think is the most corrected word to my opinion, but rather a bit on the blander (= lacking strong character) side of presentation. Cygnus LE, if anything, is comparatively more energetic and forwarded sounding. If BK is aimed to be an all rounder, Cygnus LE is really more of a 'pop star', so to speak. In contrast, Cygnus LE has a fuller and forwarder presentation with a harder hitting bass and overall dynamic, which goes really well with mainstream music. In exchange of this more energetic sound, Cygnus LE has a smaller soundstage as everything tends to sound fuller but also more 'in-your-face'. Though technically Cygnus LE can hit just as high and low a note as BK, the forwardness in presentation means 'big' music like classical lost a bit of grandness on it, but pop and rock gain a bit of more sweetness and PRaT. It is all about give and take between the BK and Cygnus LE. In that sense, I think the regular Cygnus is more or less in-between the two but more toward BK in tuning.

Would you consider the LE Cygnus a big and worthwhile upgrade ( I listen to mostly R&B and pop music) from the original Cygnus ? I love the original one but found the BK to neutral for my tastes....

Jun 14, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #20,744 of 75,209
Thank you @slappypete for the graphs.

Could you point me to the Seahf 32 V1 Aliexpress link that you use in your comparison?

I'd like to check it out.

Thanks again.

I forgot what the model number for it is and it is no longer in my aliexpress history, but it looks identical to the AWK-F32S (zen 1 cable and aesthetic). I called it the V1 because I know at the time of purchasing it was the first Seahf 32 ohm bud with that look. So I'd say it is the AWK-F32S, unless they made more than one 32 ohm bud with the zen 1 cable and white housing. Here is a link.

Jun 14, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #20,745 of 75,209
@ClieOS thanks for your reply :smiley:. Perhaps @golov17 will have something to say about this (Docomo vs Cygnus NOS drivers) :hushed:!
For me, the differences are so insignificant that there is no way to justify the difference in prices, IMHO
Manufacturer SATOREX, according to some information.

P70614-171638-001.jpg P70614-171503-001.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back