The discovery thread!
Feb 21, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #46,591 of 99,838
Definitely a good point, but the ones I've tried so far usually had to compromise one end of the sound spectrum or the other whenever switching filters. Moreover it gets confusing at times, e.g. the FLC8s for example had so many options that I didn't even find trying to test all of them feasible.

For me the ideal "tuneable" IEM should be able to markedly alter its sonic signature based on what filter/switch you've picked instead of just being derivatives of the stock signature. Perhaps a bit much to ask but that's the only way we can likely get multiple sound signatures in a single package.

Also convenience is a factor, as the FLC8s had such little parts that it was not possible to change them on the fly without losing something. RHA/IMR does it better but I personally prefer the DIP switches. They're always there so you don't have to carry anything additional and it's not possible to lose filters or other parts.
Yeah, I would prefer DIP switches myself if I had to choose between filters or switches. I've purposely stayed away from iems with removable filters because of how easy it is to lose the filters (not to mention, some have tiny rubber/silicon gaskets or O-rings...just more tiny parts that can easily get lost). In some cases, the filters can work themselves loose. In others, the threads are easily stripped and won't tighten up at all. For me, filters are a pain in the a**, and too much work. DIP switches are easier...using EQ is even easier. In the end, isn't using filters and DIP switches just another way to EQ an iem to suit your own preferences? I EQ all my iems all the time based on what songs, genres or mood is atm.

Feb 22, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #46,592 of 99,838
I've recently bought a audiosense aq3 and I love the deep bass it provides. I've been using it too listen to dub, reggae, EDM and hip hop. It's amazing. What woukd be a great upgrade for it? I've got a Sony z1r at home but after a cheaper on the go iem

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #46,593 of 99,838
I've recently bought a audiosense aq3 and I love the deep bass it provides. I've been using it too listen to dub, reggae, EDM and hip hop. It's amazing. What woukd be a great upgrade for it? I've got a Sony z1r at home but after a cheaper on the go iem

ISN H40. They have a bit sony DNA, more towards XBA N3, or Z5. Weighty notes, punchy and deep bass, with keep mids clear and smooth sparkles, wideee soundstage

Feb 22, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #46,595 of 99,838
Hello.

I didn't expect the materials used and the internal cavity to influence the final sound so much. The Ikko OH10 are very similar to the OH1, even their graphics are practically the same. But the sound quality has been clearly improved in this new version.
This is my humble opinion about them.

Ikko OH10 11_resize.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ikko-oh10.23876/reviews#item-review-23305

Feb 23, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #46,596 of 99,838
Tri audio i3 is a very good sounding iem, I've posted my impression at the other post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tri-earphone-impressions-currently-i4-and-i3.921113/post-15464009

However, frequency response of two channels seems a little bit different than each others..
i3-vent3.png
some things strange happen at 1k~1.5k area, although it is still very good sounding iem to me subjectively.

and than I figure it out the reason behind this...
i3-vent1.png
A gap found at the edge of mmcx socket will shift the dip of the frequency response to the higher frequency.
i3-vent4.png

i3-vent2.png
correct the frequency response by blocking the gap at mmcx socket
i3-2.png
after the correction: sound more refined and more "correct" now, this is a super good sounding iem to me !!
i3-vent5.png
white original
green mmcx gap blocked
yellow blocked rear vent and mmcx gap
While I really like the graphs of properly sealed modded i3 (reminds me KPE response) - I think 7-9kHz area would be tad too much for my ears.
Or is it calibrated to 8kHz resonance and showing false information there?

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #46,597 of 99,838
While I really like the graphs of properly sealed modded i3 (reminds me KPE response) - I think 7-9kHz area would be tad too much for my ears.

I can say that they are not harsh, strict or sibilant at all if that's what you mean. The upper treble stays very smooth even at really high volumes.

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #46,598 of 99,838
common iec711 coupler issue, you can bearly hear a very mild bump at ~7khz, but 9khz peak doesn't exist in real listening session, that resonance suppose to be landing at post 10k area instead of 9khz.

Feb 23, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #46,599 of 99,838
I just ordered one yesterday from Drop, so we'll see when it comes in! (expected ship date is November 26th).
This is an old thread, but you're the only person I've been able to find who owns these. What do you think of them? (sound signature especially, as I've been told they've got a little more sub bass than the e1000.)

Feb 23, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #46,600 of 99,838
@yorosello what did you decide? I am aiming for pliisen 121 as well.

Anyone else has something to share regarding pliisen 121 buds?? Thanks!
I ended up getting dr2 last time. But now i have sold them out

Feb 24, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #46,601 of 99,838

the highs is really smooooth, trebles are rolled off, just a hint of sparkles that won't go sibilance at all, i don't find they lack of lower trebles, but I just feel i still can take more of them if they are more boosted. They are more like smooth presentation all across region. even the 3 khz never sounded harsh or shouty. Give you details but stay smooth. But clarity isn't their strength (if they boost upper mids, they will perceived more clarity but they tuned to be smooth). It more towards studio monitoring IEM but with added sparkles and rumbles on low end.
They won't sounded tiring at all, literally at all, throw them good recordings, bad recording, harsh recording they will come out smooth. Bookshelf speaker like signature.

Feb 25, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #46,602 of 99,838
i took a flyer on the cambridge se-1 and i gotta say they're very impressive ootb (and also have fantastic packaging for the $20 tab). big-sounding, warm with some sparkle and nice detail. early on i can't say whether they're technically better-sounding than the other cheap wunderkinds like the blon or the dt-6, but they are certainly better-fitting and isolating--they register as one of those do-no-wrong pieces that make you question the wisdom of spending more. not that wisdom ever figured in my journey....

Feb 25, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #46,603 of 99,838
Feb 25, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #46,604 of 99,838
I've been using the RHA T20i for a while and decided to write up a review on them. In short - I think it's a really good v-shape tuned IEM under $200 and even though it's quite old now, it can keep pace with many of the recent competitors. The build quality is exceptional, RHA's extended warranty is very welcome, while it's no slouch in the sound department too with extended, impactful treble, warm-ish mids that aren't too recessed and a non-fatiguing yet detailed treble with decent extension post-10KHz.

The biggest issue for me personally was the recessed lower treble and a generally colored tonality that sounds a bit odd if you are used to neutral/reference tuned stuff.

The full review is here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/rha-t20.20745/review/23321/

IMG_4606.JPG

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #46,605 of 99,838
So I got word this morning that business is trying to resume. Unfortunately it is not business as usual considering the circumstances. There should be some movement in audio out of China going forward. Penon has told me they are starting back up so expect more newer items to be sold on their site. The economy will be hit this year because of the virus that is running rampant right now.

On a more personal note I had to cancel my family vacation plans to visit the in laws in S. Korea. Unbelievable how quickly it is spreading in Korea. CDC says it is only a matter of time before it hits the U.S.

Damn.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back