The discovery thread!
Feb 19, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #46,576 of 99,778
20200219_165344_HDR.jpg

My first imr , the imr r2 Athen . How is this bass response possible without losing details and balance :xf_eek: . I think I need the r2 red now too and maybe the r3 hyclon :D

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #46,577 of 99,778
20200219_165344_HDR.jpg

My first imr , the imr r2 Athen . How is this bass response possible without losing details and balance :xf_eek: . I think I need the r2 red now too and maybe the r3 hyclon :D
The RAH is quite nice..... Same giant 15mm beryllium driver. But planar mids. Grabbing one used should be fairly easy when IMR junkies get there PB one's, which is basically the same.

Feb 20, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #46,578 of 99,778
To sum up the Moondrop Starfield, it is a warmer KXXS. At that price point, if one prefers more sub-bass presence, get the IT01/No.3, otherwise the Starfield is quite a pleasant sounding IEM.

1582170228713.png

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #46,579 of 99,778
Tri audio i3 is a very good sounding iem, I've posted my impression at the other post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tri-earphone-impressions-currently-i4-and-i3.921113/post-15464009
Tri i3... Outstanding job of tuning, a forgiving and exciting sound at the same time, can play both good recording and bad recording tracks very well.No unevenness of sound is spotted subjectively across the frequency spectrum.
Great balance between thickness/warmth/darkness, relax and rich sounding but with good treble extension.
spacious sound that have good proportion of depth and width.

However, frequency response of two channels seems a little bit different than each others..
i3-vent3.png

some things strange happen at 1k~1.5k area, although it is still very good sounding iem to me subjectively.

and than I figure it out the reason behind this...
i3-vent1.png

A gap found at the edge of mmcx socket will shift the dip of the frequency response to the higher frequency.
i3-vent4.png

i3-vent2.png

correct the frequency response by blocking the gap at mmcx socket
i3-2.png

after the correction: sound more refined and more "correct" now, this is a super good sounding iem to me !!

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #46,580 of 99,778
Tri audio i3 is a very good sounding iem, I've posted my impression at the other post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tri-earphone-impressions-currently-i4-and-i3.921113/post-15464009

However, frequency response of two channels seems a little bit different than each others..
i3-vent3.png
some things strange happen at 1k~1.5k area, although it is still very good sounding iem to me subjectively.

i3-vent1.png
A gap found at the edge of mmcx socket will shift the dip of the frequency response to the higher frequency.
i3-vent4.png

i3-vent2.png
i3-2.png
after the correction: sound more refined and more "correct" now, this is a super good sounding iem to me !!
Just located the mmcx gap - did you use micropore tape to cover over the crevice? (- still have a reel I used to mod the NX7.)

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #46,582 of 99,778

i3-vent3.png

i3-vent1.png
i3-vent4.png

i3-vent2.png
i3-2.png
This is so useful, post in the i3 thread too please. So i think every i3 have this gap.
Do you have full picture of the FR graph with comparison of blocked rear vent and mmcx gap? Thanks

Feb 21, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #46,585 of 99,778
What's your thoughts about tuning filters in IEMs?
Usually for me I end up using a single configuration (or two separate configurations in case of IMR, but even then I barely use the Blue filter). Thus, the replaceable filters become more of a novelty than an actually useful feature.
Pictured are RHA T20i and IMR R1 Zenith filters.
IMG_4652.JPG
IMG_5716.JPG
IMG_3900.JPG

Feb 21, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #46,586 of 99,778
Usually for me I end up using a single configuration (or two separate configurations in case of IMR, but even then I barely use the Blue filter). Thus, the replaceable filters become more of a novelty than an actually useful feature.
Pictured are RHA T20i and IMR R1 Zenith filters.IMG_4652.JPGIMG_5716.JPGIMG_3900.JPG

I'd say that you're forgetting one important point here: what if the single tuning chosen from the manufacturer doesn't suit you? That's what I like about filters or switches on IEM's, one can more easily get the best possible signature for ones personal. This for me is the one most tempting thing with tunable IEM's.

Feb 21, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #46,587 of 99,778
Pictured are RHA T20i and IMR R1 Zenith filters.IMG_4652.JPGIMG_5716.JPGIMG_3900.JPG

Tuning filters that come with an IEM are sort of a bonus. In a way, you can get more than one IEM with that single purchase since u can change the sound signature to suit your preferred music genres/preferred tuning. Assuming they are not a gimick tuning filter that is, and that it really affects the FR. So this increases the versatility of said IEM.

I'd say that you're forgetting one important point here: what if the single tuning chosen from the manufacturer doesn't suit you? That's what I like about filters or switches on IEM's, one can more easily get the best possible signature for ones personal. This for me is the one most tempting thing with tunable IEM's.

+1 to this. I don't like the NiceHCK M6's stock filters, they made the midbass too woolly and over prominent. It ate into the treble and mids. I would have given the M6 a 6/10 with the stock filters (all 3 are pretty gimicky and don't really alter the bass frequencies that much). But with a 3rd party BGVP filter for a few bucks, it tames the midbass frequencies and makes the sound overall more balanced and gives the treble/mids space to breathe.

Even some other models like Shures and the Audiosense T800 that don't come with tuning filters can actually be "tuned" with inserting a knowles damper/filter into the nozzle to give u some control over the FR from the stock tuning. Quite a few headfiers on the Audiosense thread do it with the T800 actually to tame the brightness, especially for treble sensitive folks.

Feb 21, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #46,589 of 99,778

Definitely a good point, but the ones I've tried so far usually had to compromise one end of the sound spectrum or the other whenever switching filters. Moreover it gets confusing at times, e.g. the FLC8s for example had so many options that I didn't even find trying to test all of them feasible.

For me the ideal "tuneable" IEM should be able to markedly alter its sonic signature based on what filter/switch you've picked instead of just being derivatives of the stock signature. Perhaps a bit much to ask but that's the only way we can likely get multiple sound signatures in a single package.

Also convenience is a factor, as the FLC8s had such little parts that it was not possible to change them on the fly without losing something. RHA/IMR does it better but I personally prefer the DIP switches. They're always there so you don't have to carry anything additional and it's not possible to lose filters or other parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back