The discovery thread!
Jul 29, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #43,051 of 102,423
Hi activatorfly, soundwise what´s the benefit of adding NX4 in the loop with Cayin N3?
Which one is doing the amp stage in your configuration? Nx4 or Cayin? Appreciate your feedback
cheers, Jose
Hi Jose....the amp stage of the N3 is bypassed...hence the NX4 takes over.
Go to USB mode in N3’s settings and switch to DAC - the NX4’s blue confirmation light turns on.
Sound quality wise....I’d say there is definitely a boost in all frequencies - better layering / imaging and instrument separation. This emphasises the soundstage, whilst listening to electronically & soundscapes - sounds way more “airy” imho...rather than connecting the usual method - via a 3.5mm-3.5mm cable. :)

Jul 29, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #43,052 of 102,423
oh man, when Jim asked me if i want to review that earphone i told him only if is not very bright sounding, he told me no, it is balanced, after that i told him to send me a pair, today i got email that they are in the country and i will get them the next two days, but it seems like Jim has other idea what the balanced sound mean
Hope they tame a bit after burn-in! Lol

Jul 29, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #43,053 of 102,423
OK, we discussed the possibility of coupler resonance for that 14 kHz peak...but it is too wide not to be real.

This is a good and possibly a very good earphone and it is worth its money. I don't have any complaints about a thin midrange, small soundstage etc. yet....I am still at the beginning. The crossover appears to work well and the transition between the BAs appears to be smooth. Tonal accuracy is also good as far as I can tell. I plugged the NX7 into a radio for "aging"...you never know :wink:.

As to wide-bore tips: would exacerbate the upper end.

I dissected the NX7 with my camera and will post pics of the BAs once I find time.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #43,054 of 102,423
OK, we discussed the possibility of coupler resonance for that 14 kHz peak...but it is too wide not to be real.

This is a good and possibly a very good earphone and it is worth its money. I don't have any complaints about a thin midrange, small soundstage etc. yet....I am still at the beginning. The crossover appears to work well and the transition between the BAs appears to be smooth. Tonal accuracy is also good as far as I can tell. I plugged the NX7 into a radio for "aging"...you never know :wink:.
i will "age" them for sure

Jul 29, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #43,055 of 102,423
I'm using the NX7's today as they arrived on Saturday and I was at CanJam in London. I didn't use any of the tips they came with and am pleased to say they go low and have a good thump when it is present. Funny thing is I listened to every CA earphone at CanJam and I liked the Solaris but it is too bulky. The NX7 is sure good for the cost

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #43,056 of 102,423
I'm using the NX7's today as they arrived on Friday and it was CanJam weekend in London. I didn't use any of the tips they came with and am pleased to say they go low and have a good thump when it is present. Funny thing is I listened to every CA earphone at CanJam and I liked the Solaris but it is too bulky. The NX7 is sure good for the cost
What kind of tips are you using? Wide? Narrow?

Jul 29, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #43,057 of 102,423
I find narrow tips increase bass

20190729_225229[1].jpg

Jul 29, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #43,058 of 102,423
Ya Sony hybrids will increase the bass presence for certain. Might tame some peaks in the treble as well. If you guys have the means to go balanced using the NX7. I highly recommend it. I have mostly been using them in balanced mode vs single ended with great results.

An observation about balanced. Balanced does not mean your gonna get double the treble emphasis. In fact due to the greater power output the NX7 gets even more tonally correct in balanced. They do like some power behind the sound. Experiment with your NX7s and it will show you a whole new side of them.

Jul 29, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #43,059 of 102,423
Should have my own NX7 coming next week so I'll wade in with opinions then as well :)

Jul 29, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #43,060 of 102,423
Remember the NX7 has Double DD on it to handle the lows! Which translates into BURN IN NEEDED!

oh man, when Jim asked me if i want to review that earphone i told him only if is not very bright sounding, he told me no, it is balanced, after that i told him to send me a pair, today i got email that they are in the country and i will get them the next two days, but it seems like Jim has other idea what the balanced sound mean

Jul 29, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #43,061 of 102,423
Balanced does not mean your gonna get double the treble emphasis
indeed it doesn't at all. is that some sort of popular belief?
In fact due to the greater power output the NX7 gets even more tonally correct in balanced.
can't say I understand that relation either. perhaps it's worth mentioning that when we get up to twice the voltage(and up to 4 times the power) by going balanced on a setup, that's only so long as we stay at that "up to" +6dB listening level. the moment we turn down the volume to match the previous listening level, the extra everything will logically go away too. unless there was something wrong with the single ended setup and original listening level, a change in the response seems more likely to come from the usual difference in impedance(also up to twice as much typically) of the amp balanced, and maybe also from the cables. if the IEM has some big impedance swings, that's a better guess IMO than extra max power that's probably not really there anyway.
not that most people can tell sound differences conclusively given the delays and distractions caused by changing the cables, replacing the IEM then trying to match the volume level. saying that those aren't ideal testing conditions is an understatement.

anybody who's getting a pair of NX7 can measure the impedance per frequency graph? that might give some relevant information.

Jul 29, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #43,062 of 102,423
I find narrow tips increase bass

What narrow-bore tips do is that they move the treble peaks to the left...and leave the bass essentially unaltered. But as our ears hear the sound in context, we perceive the bass as increased.

ps1OzMV.jpg

8bgRFjK.jpg

Some pics of the NiceHCK NX7 on the green blog...can't see the drivers very well through the plastic.

s0Gw8cy.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #43,063 of 102,423
Remember the NX7 has Double DD on it to handle the lows! Which translates into BURN IN NEEDED!
feel free to share all the objective evidence that helped you be so confident about this. I would really appreciate.
how many measurements of small DD in IEMs changing significantly over time while not moving the IEM, not adding ear wax and dust, not dropping it on the floor, etc, do you have? my personal score so far is zero. I'm still waiting to catch any sort of change bigger than what is measured by inserting the IEM half a millimeter deeper in my coupler, by laying the cable a certain way, by any big change in temperature, humidity, or any change in ambient noise in my room while still quiet for me subjectively. if I had that or supporting evidence of that from someone else, I would at last have a reason to perhaps try and get more pairs of that IEM to see if I can repeat the results. and then discuss with other people so they can also check my method and try to reproduce my results. then I would start to trust that there is a specific thing going on with this specific model of driver that may or may not be noticeable. I'd believe it because the evidence would demonstrate it. the way facts become facts. other tests would handle the question of audibility, and even more tests would try to determine if the impact is consistent on more DD drivers, to the point where we could suspect that it concerns all of them. although I already have enough counter examples to reject that last hypothesis. which is IMO more than enough to reject your statement.

Jul 29, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #43,064 of 102,423
Hi Jose....the amp stage of the N3 is bypassed...hence the NX4 takes over.
Go to USB mode in N3’s settings and switch to DAC - the NX4’s blue confirmation light turns on.
Sound quality wise....I’d say there is definitely a boost in all frequencies - better layering / imaging and instrument separation. This emphasises the soundstage, whilst listening to electronically & soundscapes - sounds way more “airy” imho...rather than connecting the usual method - via a 3.5mm-3.5mm cable. :)
Hi activatorfly, very interesting. Will check on the Topping NX4 and will get back to you by PM. Thanks a lot for the info.

Jul 29, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #43,065 of 102,423
feel free to share all the objective evidence that helped you be so confident about this. I would really appreciate.
how many measurements of small DD in IEMs changing significantly over time while not moving the IEM, not adding ear wax and dust, not dropping it on the floor, etc, do you have? my personal score so far is zero. I'm still waiting to catch any sort of change bigger than what is measured by inserting the IEM half a millimeter deeper in my coupler, by laying the cable a certain way, by any big change in temperature, humidity, or any change in ambient noise in my room while still quiet for me subjectively. if I had that or supporting evidence of that from someone else, I would at last have a reason to perhaps try and get more pairs of that IEM to see if I can repeat the results. and then discuss with other people so they can also check my method and try to reproduce my results. then I would start to trust that there is a specific thing going on with this specific model of driver that may or may not be noticeable. I'd believe it because the evidence would demonstrate it. the way facts become facts. other tests would handle the question of audibility, and even more tests would try to determine if the impact is consistent on more DD drivers, to the point where we could suspect that it concerns all of them. although I already have enough counter examples to reject that last hypothesis. which is IMO more than enough to reject your statement.
So, if I interpret your post correctly, you are saying that burn in doesn't make a difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back