The discovery thread!
Jul 29, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #43,066 of 102,440
feel free to share all the objective evidence that helped you be so confident about this. I would really appreciate.
how many measurements of small DD in IEMs changing significantly over time while not moving the IEM, not adding ear wax and dust, not dropping it on the floor, etc, do you have? my personal score so far is zero. I'm still waiting to catch any sort of change bigger than what is measured by inserting the IEM half a millimeter deeper in my coupler, by laying the cable a certain way, by any big change in temperature, humidity, or any change in ambient noise in my room while still quiet for me subjectively. if I had that or supporting evidence of that from someone else, I would at last have a reason to perhaps try and get more pairs of that IEM to see if I can repeat the results. and then discuss with other people so they can also check my method and try to reproduce my results. then I would start to trust that there is a specific thing going on with this specific model of driver that may or may not be noticeable. I'd believe it because the evidence would demonstrate it. the way facts become facts. other tests would handle the question of audibility, and even more tests would try to determine if the impact is consistent on more DD drivers, to the point where we could suspect that it concerns all of them. although I already have enough counter examples to reject that last hypothesis. which is IMO more than enough to reject your statement.
Sennheiser claim their stuff works perfectly right out of the box. The Grado guy says anything mechanical needs break-in [BAs are not mechanical, DDs are]. @james444 once "calculated" that, at 10,000 Hz, a diaphragm has swung 50,000 times in 5 seconds...which should be enough break-in. I did A/B-ing in a couple of models, one set broken in for 50 hrs and the other set right out of the box. No difference found. In terms of sound quantity (frequency response), there is zero change even after xxx hours (I cannot comment on the relationship of quantity and quality).

One thing that is hard to believe is that break-in/burn-in is believed/reported to always to improve sound (as opposed to deteriorate sound). Physics appears to know what our personal sound preferences are.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #43,067 of 102,440
Burn in is very subjective and there are two trains of thought on the matter. What you all believe in is up to you. Truth is some phones don't do nothing with burn in and some change drastically. It all depends on how much of a factory burn in the particular phone got before leaving the factory. I know Mr Speakers does a factory burn in to make sure each driver is at full capacity before leaving for the show room.

NiceHCK out of China. Not so much. So that is really up to you all.

Jul 29, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #43,068 of 102,440
Burn in is required for some gear and not for others, as @Dsnuts said. As an audiophile for over 40 years, I have heard it in a good majority of the stuff I've owned. For some stuff, it makes a difference, for some it doesn't. But when some say it isn't real just because tests and graphs don't show it, that's bull. I don't buy audio gear based on graphs...I use my ears and my brain to tell me what sounds good to me.

Jul 29, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #43,069 of 102,440
Ok guys it is all good. No need to start a burn in debate. That isn't what this thread is about. So lets clip the burn in talk. I want to see more impressions of the NX7 what you guys think. This is all about discovering them hidden gems. It is good to see people getting their NX7s finally.

I would personally like to see this type of tuning on something more higher end on NiceHCKs part. Some higher end BAs with a bit larger housing for a wider stage. I think it all depends on how popular the NX7 will be. As of now from what Jim has told me. It seems to be a hot seller for them right now.

Jul 29, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #43,070 of 102,440
:D again the Ad nauseam debate

Jul 29, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #43,071 of 102,440
Ok guys it is all good. No need to start a burn in debate. That isn't what this thread is about. So lets clip the burn in talk. I want to see more impressions of the NX7 what you guys think. This is all about discovering them hidden gems. It is good to see people getting their NX7s finally.

I would personally like to see this type of tuning on something more higher end on NiceHCKs part. Some higher end BAs with a bit larger housing for a wider stage. I think it all depends on how popular the NX7 will be. As of now from what Jim has told me. It seems to be a hot seller for them right now.
I'll post my impressions here once I get them, and have had some time to spend with them. I'm stoked because I've never owned anything with a piezo tweeter before, so I'm interested to hear how well this combines with the BA'S and dual dynamic. According to the latest info, they have cleared customs. With any luck, they will be with me by the end of this week.

Jul 29, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #43,072 of 102,440
So, got the Splitter for the E1-DA. After connecting I have to tap on the USB options notification then choose This Phone, then the E1-DA works. It's a cumbersome setup, at least with the MacBook it will be one cable. Drives my Alara easily.

Jul 30, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #43,073 of 102,440
NX7 arrived yesterday, and did some quick tests, so far positive. Capabilities seem very good. A lot more treble information is in present than I'm used to hearing on earphones at this price point. I'll need to do some sweep tests to see how perceptibly even/uneven it is, but sound can be customized quite a bit by changing tips, so I'm focusing on that right now. Spinfits are a good match, though the highs were still a little close to emphasizing the sibilants, and I wanted to see if I could reign that in. To confirm, I switched to the Auvio tips, which are about as wide bore but deeper, which tends to emphasize the highs more, and indeed they did. Out of curiosity I tried the Acoustune AET08a tips, and if you want to make the NX7 more of a basshead earphone, you'll want those tips! That transformation was impressive, but not for me. With the Tenmak Whirlwind tips, I think I found the balance I was looking for, closer to reference. The Whirlwinds are the shortest bore depth tips I have, and I've hadn't yet found a good use for them because they've tamed the upper frequencies too much on the earphones I tried them on in the past, but with the NX7, it brings them down just a bit, which is fine, while preserving the bass and I can hear the mids even better. Listening to Tool's "Forty Six & 2" from Aenima, I get a terrific sense of placement for Danny Carey's drums, and Maynard James Keenan's singing is easy to hear (where it would normally be hard to hear on lesser earphones). Listening to Alt-J's "(Guitar)" track from An Awesome Wave, I can make out most of the dialog of the people talking on the street some distance away from the guitar player (the song is a recording from a mic inside a guitar, and has some incidental audio picked up from the surrounding environment which is often unintelligible on lesser earphones). Quick tests of how well the 3-D QSound mixing on Roger Water's Amused to Death album passed with flying colors. Some electronic music with a lot of synth treble did come across initially as intense, and I'll need to do more tests (Glitch Mob, Bassnectar, Amon Tobin), to figure out where I think they fall with that. My listening is done primarily on an Onkyo Rubato DP-S1 via the balanced connection, and all lossless (and mostly hi-res) files.

Jul 30, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #43,074 of 102,440
NX7 might not grab a person right away but I am most certain they will grow and then grow again on you the more you listen to them and realize their capabilities. Keep experimenting with them and you will figure them out. You gotta then also realize what little you paid for this type of sound.

Sound positioning and imaging is crazy good on the NX7. Very noticeable on well recorded tracks. Notice not one person thus far has said the bass is missing.

Love the bass on these things. It comes to play when called for and does it well. Tips and cables with a good source and your discovering what the NX7 can do.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #43,075 of 102,440
My poor NX7's are on the back burner today as my new IMR Acoustics R2 Aten turned up, very nice sound indeed:

20190730_110158[1].jpg

Jul 31, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #43,078 of 102,440
NX7 and balanced upgrade cable out for delivery today! - both arrived at local PO on the same day from different sellers? - maybe they are only one store after all??

Preppin BT / DAP’s ‘n’ DAC’s in anticipation! - Masya never sounded so good as with the N3/NX4 DAC configuration! :)

81A54C58-5E8B-433B-A60E-03470BCFBBB1.jpeg
2368F5CC-4118-4E07-BB0E-7F63795541CC.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #43,079 of 102,440
Sound positioning and imaging is crazy good on the NX7. Very noticeable on well recorded tracks. Notice not one person thus far has said the bass is missing.
Love the bass on these things. It comes to play when called for and does it well. Tips and cables with a good source and your discovering what the NX7 can do.

My NX7's arrived today - Out of the box . . . Im impressed !
What Mister Nuts says above is spot on. Only had an hour or so with them but had some very interesting and varied experiences with them
Ive had times where I could hear each of the different drivers doing their thing..which was interesting to say the least
They have an amazing 'live' feel about them - airy, incredible detail retrieval, wide soundstage, instrument separation
They seem to offer many different qualities - sometimes sounding very balanced over all - other times with loads of energy around the mids & highs
Hard to explain. The low end is well done although it is HEARD rather than FELT . . . thus far
Essentially though Jim has created a unique sounding IEM
With the right tips, a warm copper cable and a good source I think these may well be a special but certainly unique IEM
Early days yet but they are looking VERY promising
Bear in mind as well that this is just 'Out of the box'
Very much looking forward to hearing them after a good burn in and an upgraded cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back